“Penn State launches website focused on free speech and free expression on campus”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
😀

Please see the link below. From the article:

”UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — As part of Penn State’s longstanding commitment to fostering an environment where free speech and expression are valued and protected, a new University website focused on the First Amendment was unveiled today (Sept. 16). The site can be found at the following link: provost.psu.edu/free-speech.

The site includes a wide variety of educational tools and resources to help faculty, staff and students navigate the complexities of constitutional rights. The site also helps explain and affirm academic freedom and encourages civic engagement.

As a land-grant institution, Penn State upholds the essential role of freedom of expression as a cornerstone of its educational mission. This new website serves that educational mission and will work as a hub for resources and information related to First Amendment rights and responsibilities.

"At Penn State, we believe that our University must be a place where ideas are debated with respect and rigor," said President Neeli Bendapudi. "This new website is a testament to our longstanding commitment to free speech, academic freedom, and the open exchange of ideas."”

😞

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Do they even teach about the constitution these days? When I was in school I got a booklet that I think I still have somewhere that has the full Declaration of Independence and entire constitution word for word. Actually, I should dig it out and see who published it and if I was brainwashed as a young child... 😂 :cool: 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Ram20

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
So which Administrative Department is responsible for designing and uploading this? The powers that be at PSU did not do this for their own enjoyment, but there is an underlying reason for this appearing now and that it includes resources for student voting? Something smells badly with this and its not because of rotten onion dip either.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Do they even teach about the constitution these days? When I was in school I got a booklet that I think I still have somewhere that has the full Declaration of Independence and entire constitution word for word. Actually, I should dig it out and see who published it and if I was brainwashed as a young child... 😂 :cool: 🤷‍♂️

So which Administrative Department is responsible for designing and uploading this? The powers that be at PSU did not do this for their own enjoyment, but there is an underlying reason for this appearing now and that it includes resources for student voting? Something smells badly with this and its not because of rotten onion dip either.
For worse (there is no better side to this), knowledge of the Constitution and its applications is sorely lacking. Fault is shared by pretty much every level of our educational system. While I applaud efforts to remedy this, I wonder how effective simply putting up a website will be. How many people will read it? How many will go beyond it to achieve greater understanding? There are, no doubt, a myriad of resources similar to this. Is this just piling on.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
For worse (there is no better side to this), knowledge of the Constitution and its applications is sorely lacking. Fault is shared by pretty much every level of our educational system. While I applaud efforts to remedy this, I wonder how effective simply putting up a website will be. How many people will read it? How many will go beyond it to achieve greater understanding? There are, no doubt, a myriad of resources similar to this. Is this just piling on.

Kids: “The Constitution is soooooo old.”

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Kids don't go to websites these days. Everything is on an app or on tiktok or whatever the new fangeld kids these days watch

Reactions: Bison13

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

Yes, they do. Quite thoroughly. Far more thoroughly then when I was in school decades ago, when they only taught jingoism under the pretense of American history/civics.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Unless you’re a BOT member- then shut your f*cking pie hole.

The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Apparently the Penn State Student Committee for Defense and Solidarity is not referring to defense of or solidarity with the U.S. Constitution
Nah, they probably think that Kirk is boring. They may have a point there. How about we arrange a Celebrity Death Match, Kirk v. AOC. My money is on Sandy.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I wish folks would read Jonathan Haidt's work on the subject. The Coddling of the American Mind is one good book about free speech on college campus' (a shorter version appeared in the Atlantic, as I recall).

Reactions: step.eng69

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
If you recall - about a year ago Neeli formed committees to expand and concentrate on the presence of DEI+b within Penn State. Do not be fooled with this latest round of calling upon the documents of the USA as an important feature of education of the mass of students and/or others who might see the headline and not know the basics.

Yesterday I spoke with the EA to the Provost and learned the PSU Pres and the EVP and Provost make the underpinning of this venture a feature of DEI+b. Evidently those two of foreign birth and education feel this most important item is for everyone to 'feel' as part of something.
In their minds, speech is still to be realized within DEI.

If my memory serves me - in 1977, UMich admissions declared the incoming class was too much the same. Or as society called it - Affirmative Action by allowing 'underserved in some manner' to be placed above 'others'. The US Supremes recently declared this to be illegal.
Forgive me if you will - but to me Performance is still the key. No team would permit players to substitute for 'belonging.'
Therefore - DEI + b has no use in the educational excellence for any student, or sugarcoated as excuses - no matter how different they might be !

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
You believe that telling others on a PSU message board to "shut your f*cking pie hole" unless you are a member of the BOT is comedy?

No, missed it entirely.

I was trying (and obviously failing) to illustrate the hypocrisy in Penn State’s effort to promote free speech on campus when certain members of the BOT are at risk of expulsion for doing exactly that.

Anyways - assume the folks liking my post ‘got it.’

Latest posts