“Penn State launches website focused on free speech and free expression on campus”

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Here they are protesting Charlie Kirk who is going to speak. I hope they hold true in allowing free speech.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
If you recall - about a year ago Neeli formed committees to expand and concentrate on the presence of DEI+b within Penn State. Do not be fooled with this latest round of calling upon the documents of the USA as an important feature of education of the mass of students and/or others who might see the headline and not know the basics.

Yesterday I spoke with the EA to the Provost and learned the PSU Pres and the EVP and Provost make the underpinning of this venture a feature of DEI+b. Evidently those two of foreign birth and education feel this most important item is for everyone to 'feel' as part of something.
In their minds, speech is still to be realized within DEI.

If my memory serves me - in 1977, UMich admissions declared the incoming class was too much the same. Or as society called it - Affirmative Action by allowing 'underserved in some manner' to be placed above 'others'. The US Supremes recently declared this to be illegal.
Forgive me if you will - but to me Performance is still the key. No team would permit players to substitute for 'belonging.'
Therefore - DEI + b has no use in the educational excellence for any student, or sugarcoated as excuses - no matter how different they might be !
The University (and it's students/staff) certainly benefits from a more diverse student population. If all we're looking at is grades or test scores, we're likely not getting that type of a cross-section. So call it what you will (DEI, Affirmative Action, etc), but I'd hope that we're looking beyond simply "performance" in a potential entrant's high school transcript. Or do we really think that a kid from the Main Line that got a 1300 on the SAT after his private schooling and SAT prep courses is automatically a better candidate for admission that the kid that went to Strawberry Mansion and saw SAT questions for the first time the day he took the test and got an 1100? It's not always black and white (and I'm not just talking skin colors).

Reactions: Midnighter

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
They should be allowed to protest, he should be allowed to speak.
I’m sure it will be more than simple protesting. Hopefully I’m wrong and they don’t physical do anything or shout him down every second that he speaks. Students have the right to listen to all view points freely and equally.

Reactions: Bison13

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
The University (and it's students/staff) certainly benefits from a more diverse student population. If all we're looking at is grades or test scores, we're likely not getting that type of a cross-section. So call it what you will (DEI, Affirmative Action, etc), but I'd hope that we're looking beyond simply "performance" in a potential entrant's high school transcript. Or do we really think that a kid from the Main Line that got a 1300 on the SAT after his private schooling and SAT prep courses is automatically a better candidate for admission that the kid that went to Strawberry Mansion and saw SAT questions for the first time the day he took the test and got an 1100? It's not always black and white (and I'm not just talking skin colors).
The primary number PSU admissions looks at is the zipcode.

Latest posts