“QB Matthew Sluka to exit UNLV, says 'representations' not upheld” (NIL)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Is there a worse governed sport in the world? What a joke.

In his statement Sluka said, "I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled," Sluka posted on X. "Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. I wish my teammates the best of luck this season and hope for the continued success of the program."

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

“College” Football

😞

Crap. Didn't see your post. College Football players are hanging themselves with their own rope. I used to think congress wouldn't intervene but believe it's all but inevitable now; it's what happens when the inmates run the asylum. As much as I want the players to get everything they deserve, they're killing their own product.

Reactions: BobPSU92

haveyoumethoward

Nov 16, 2021
Well, it will be interesting to see how this CFB ****show progresses from here. Maybe a star player (or position group or entire team) refusing to play in a playoff game or even the NC game unless bonus checks are forthcoming.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Well, it will be interesting to see how this CFB ****show progresses from here. Maybe a star player (or position group or entire team) refusing to play in a playoff game or even the NC game unless bonus checks are forthcoming.

They need enforceable contracts from schools and need to be employees; have to collectively bargain and yes, there needs to be a way to disperse talent (draft). There is no legitimate sport in the world where these shenanigans go unchecked. Coaching salaries need to be brought in-line with player salaries too - CFB coaches make as much as NFL coaches when their players make far, far less on the whole (unlike the NFL).

Reactions: haveyoumethoward

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I would like to know the details of this NIL. o_O issue. Did a football coach or someone else in the program make promises or was it a collective? Were promises made by someone in a position to deliver on them? Where did the money go or was there no money in the first place?

Reactions: Tom_PSU

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I would like to know the details of this NIL. o_O issue. Did a football coach or someone else in the program make promises or was it a collective? Were promises made by someone in a position to deliver on them? Where did the money go or was there no money in the first place?

If it's a collective, if I'm the school I would sue the kid.

Reactions: BobPSU92

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
We have a kid at our club - one of the best HS players in the state. He's a +4 right now. UF is promising him an Alfa Romeo SUV and six figures to go play there next year.

I figure he'll need the six figures to keep himself in weed and to keep the Alfa running.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
What does enforce his LOI mean?

If his financial deal is with the collective, his LOI is with the school, and that is the document the NCAA cares about (it's not as important as it once was but it's something). He's refusing to play due to a non-football or academic related reason; school should get some compensation for what they put into him (room/board/tuition/training/etc.). Now, if the school made promises that's a whole other thing.

Do you like this kind of 'players can do whatever they want' circus that is college football? It started with not wanting to play bowls because of fear of injury, now it's not playing because the collective isn't paying you money. If the kid has an enforceable contract with the collective, he should sue them.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Those are all good questions. Frankly I’m on the kids side here. If any of us (well maybe not you) were offered a new job, and promises were made that you in good faith relied on (either oral or written) most of us would be seeking different opportunities if our new employer failed to supply them. Just because their college athletes (who let’s be honest are virtually paid employees in modern football) why should not their agreements be honored?

The sport has become a sewer because of the “adults” who supposedly run it, not the players. The athletes are merely scrambling for what they perceive (rightly or wrongly) is their part of the pie before the whole thing comes crashing down.

Latest posts