“QB Matthew Sluka to exit UNLV, says 'representations' not upheld” (NIL)

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
No doubt there are teams who would "hire" Mr. Sluka after all these shenanigans but imo he is brewing a toxic brand. Is he planning on going on strike, after a few games, with every team? Does he care about impact to his current and future teammates?

Seems to be a "cut off his nose to spite his face" scenario. /shrug

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

No Way Smh GIF

Reactions: BobPSU92

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Just 11 years ago:

Golfer penalized for washing car​

• ESPN.com news services
May 30, 2013, 12:23 PM ET

A member of a women's golf team at a West Coast Conference school has been sanctioned by the NCAA for washing her car on campus, according to University of Portland basketball coach Eric Reveno.

Reveno tweeted about the violation Wednesday after he learned of it during conference meetings, culminating his message with the hashtag #stopinsanity.

"Just heard about two NCAA violations in WCC. 1) athlete using Univ. water to wash car, 2) coach text recruit 'who is this?'" Reveno wrote.

The WCC school in question self-reported the extra benefits violation to the NCAA, Yahoo Sports! reported. Yahoo also reported the NCAA asked the golfer to pay the school $20, which they said was the value of the water and hose.
That’ll teach ‘em!

Psumatt85

Oct 13, 2021
I really wouldn’t mind if PSU shut down the football program. “College” Football is a f*cking mess that has no hope of being cleaned up. It would also free up those Fall Saturdays.
Makes you think a long term investment in a stadium could be a bad idea when college football implodes. Glad the BOT has got this!

Reactions: LionJim

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Does he care about impact to his current and future teammates?

I’m shocked at how easily this is all discarded now. No commitment to your team or your teammates.

UNLV is having a great season for them so far. 3-0. Ranked (#23 coaches poll) for the first time ever from what I’ve read. There was a ton of hype on campus over this season and now their starting QB has decided to call it quits 3 games in because he thinks he’s owed more money. One of their RBs has now also announced he’s leaving.

Their coach is likely working overtime now just to keep the rest of the team intact.

I have no idea what was or wasn’t said to this QB regarding $100,000. The UNLV administration and lawyers have certainly looked into it and circled the wagons calling him out. At the very least he was an idiot for believing something that wasn’t in writing, (assuming his version of the story is even accurate).

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
I’m shocked at how easily this is all discarded now. No commitment to your team or your teammates.

UNLV is having a great season for them so far. 3-0. Ranked (#23 coaches poll) for the first time ever from what I’ve read. There was a ton of hype on campus over this season and now their starting QB has decided to call it quits 3 games in because he thinks he’s owed more money. One of their RBs has now also announced he’s leaving.

Their coach is likely working overtime now just to keep the rest of the team intact.

I have no idea what was or wasn’t said to this QB regarding $100,000. The UNLV administration and lawyers have certainly looked into it and circled the wagons calling him out. At the very least he was an idiot for believing something that wasn’t in writing, (assuming his version of the story is even accurate).

I'm not following the puts and takes of the situation, so am not taking a side in that. I just wonder what his teammates think. Unfortunately, the locker room is probably split and team chemistry affected. Whether that harms or hurts the results, time will tell.

Pessimistically, this is probably just the first shot fired in the war - hopefully Penn State can avoid being dragged into it. Seems they handled the KLS situation reasonably well.

Reactions: Psu00

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
Crap. Didn't see your post. College Football players are hanging themselves with their own rope. I used to think congress wouldn't intervene but believe it's all but inevitable now; it's what happens when the inmates run the asylum. As much as I want the players to get everything they deserve, they're killing their own product.
Wait a minute. This kid signed because of representations by the university. They reneged on his deal and HE’S the problem?

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
I know the genie is long out of the bottle, but I've always thought the game was more fun when Beaver Stadium sat 55.000. and you could park anywhere you wanted to just by getting there early.
Once that North Deck went up, everything changed, parking, crowded shopping, breakfast lines,but it was necessary for expansion.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I know the genie is long out of the bottle, but I've always thought the game was more fun when Beaver Stadium sat 55.000. and you could park anywhere you wanted to just by getting there early.

$700 MM for various upgrades. How much for downgrades?

• Haha
Reactions: Nitt1300

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Wait a minute. This kid signed because of representations by the university. They reneged on his deal and HE’S the problem?

There are a lot of problems in this scenario and yes, he's one of them. If you're going to hire an agent, make sure they don't steer you in the wrong direction - get whatever it is you are promised in writing and documented.

Reactions: PSUJam

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
He's not a kid. He's a fifth year grad student transfer looking to make a buck. He could have just declared for the NFL draft and made the same to be a camp arm for a few weeks this spring.

Reactions: Anon1714588167

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
The madness continues.

I saw this one earlier today. Some folks say the CFB is now the same as professional football. But in some ways, CFB is much worse.

For example, there are no checks and balances to try to maintain a level playing field in CFB. But more importantly, CFB players have no incentive to do anything for the good of their sport (or product, if you prefer). They are moving on from CFB in a year or two, no matter what. So they are going to maximize their earning potential, possibly to the detriment of the program they are playing for.

The next shoe to drop will be when a star player sits out of the CFB playoffs in order to avoid injury before the draft. That is coming.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Those are all good questions. Frankly I’m on the kids side here. If any of us (well maybe not you) were offered a new job, and promises were made that you in good faith relied on (either oral or written) most of us would be seeking different opportunities if our new employer failed to supply them. Just because their college athletes (who let’s be honest are virtually paid employees in modern football) why should not their agreements be honored?

The sport has become a sewer because of the “adults” who supposedly run it, not the players. The athletes are merely scrambling for what they perceive (rightly or wrongly) is their part of the pie before the whole thing comes crashing down.
Well that’s the kid’s side of the story. The college said some of the things he asked for were illegal. Serious question, unless he is the second coming of Tom Brady, who would want this kid now?

Reactions: Nitt1300 and Psu00
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login