10 year SEC sweet 16 bracket history

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cains Major

who do you think recruited most of those guys? If we keep getting to the dance, we'll certainly make a sweet 16. Stans just keeps bringing in the tallent, he'll get there, overall he's just too good not to make it. I'm satisfied, like most of the Dogs.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
Quote:_________________________________________________Without Stans, MSU does not go to the Final 4_________________________________________________

Without Robert Kirby, MSU doesnt go to a Final 4. There, fixed it for you.

Quote:_________________________________________________who do you think recruited most of those guys?_________________________________________________

The same one who has been doing during both coaches tenure- Robert Kirby

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
dont think it was an accident that the talent level went down after Kirby left us after 1993 season. We already had Wilson, Dampier, Walters, and others in the fold for the Sweet 16 and FF runs.

Also dont forget he has been here since Ricky took over as head coach. Amazing coincidence huh?

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
ok...thats one...aGAIN, Kirby leaves and we are stuck with Hyche and company as our main players. What was the great recruiter doing then?

C

Cains Major

keeping him on staff. Great Job by somebody! Excluding Sharp and one or more others (GE included).

C

Cains Major

One plays, the other know when practice time is. We have one Junior that plays to any real extent. The rest are Sophs, or Freshmens. Very young. Thats how you get a 5-5 start, but the future is potentially bright. And there are a lot teams that don't want to play us NOW.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
You say we are now playing like a 4 seed, and thus should make it to the Sweet 16 regardless of our actual seed and draw. But, in 2004 we played a team that was playing like a high seed. In fact, in the two weeks prior to the tourney, they played better than us. Yet, that 2004 game is seen as a major negative against Stansbury. Now, this year you attempt to do basically the same thing in reverse.

I'm not arguing that we should totally write off that 2004 loss, I'm saying that you can't have it both ways. Either you base tourney performance solely on seeding or you look at things more in-depth. If you want to now look at other things rather than actual seeding, well your hammering of Stansbury for his postseason record suddenly gets cloudy.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________What was the great recruiter doing then?_________________________________________________
I would like to start off by saying that I don't refer to Stans as a great recruiter, MSU "fans" like you do as part of your "great recruiter, poor/average floor coach" theory. I contend that Stansbury is a good recruiter and a good floor coach. If he was a great recruiter he would have pulled in more top tier talent than he has. But, he's still managed to pull in some really good players along with some role players who are solid and work in his system, therefore he's a good recruiter. If he was a poor/average floor coach, he wouldn't have won as many games as he has at MSU with the talent he's had. Therefore, he's a good recruiter and a good floor coach. He hasn't yet turned that into great postseason success, but I fully believe that if a coach continues to get his team into that position they will eventually deliver.

C

Cains Major

I agree with some of this, and everyone has an opinion. I personally think that he, and his staff or whom ever tends to recruit very well, year after year.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
people want to give Ricky so much credit for the FF team when he and Kirby were responsible for bringing those guys in. And then suddenly Kirby leaves, and we are stuck with Hyche, David Domnigue, Ty Washington, and a bunch of doorknobs. Ricky was recruiting then too. What was the difference? Robert Kirby

Kirby has been here for 10 years now during his 2nd stint, and guess what? Consistently good talent.

C

Cains Major

It seems like Richard Williams tends to give Stans a lot of credit. Even said so in a recent CL article.????

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
I guess by your logic, we'll be a 4 seed then, but in reality, we won't unless we win the tournament. However, your point is gone anyway. If we actually ARE a 4, we should be a sweet 16 team. If we're not, it would be unexpected.

Afro Dawg

Jan 23, 2007
Do you know anything about Mississippi State basketball? When were we stuck with Hyche, Domingue and Ty Washington? Did I miss that or did Stans gather a group of 90's-era players and stick them together as a traveling team after their eligibility was up.

Or are you just a dumbass?

Afro Dawg

Jan 23, 2007
That Hyche-to-Domingue combo was so memorable. It's one of my favorite eras as a Bulldog fan. If Domingue hadn't graduated three years before that, it woulda been even better.

You just have no idea, do you?

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
He freaking graduated in 1994. Do you even know what the hell you are talking about?

Did you forget Horatio Webster, who was a pretty damn good player? Did you forget that we lost 2 years of Marcus Bullard thanks to him pistol-whipping somebody? What about Detrick White? Trey Moore? Hardly doorknobs. And Stansbury, despite what you say, had to rebuild from the ground up after the Final Four.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
I was trying to remember that oh so memorable frontcourt that led us in 1997...we werent very talented in the backcourt either

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
wouldn't that be Richard Williams' fault?

Or because Williams once went to a Final Four, he's not responsible for who we recruited (if they sucked), and it then falls to Stansbury, because he sucks at everything.

And anyone good that was recruited was either Williams or Kirby. I think I've got it now.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
we lost everyone from our great team. Nobody recovers from that. Florida went from back-to-back national championships to on the bubble after losing everyone. We made a miracle run to one Final Four and lost everything. Suddenly, our 1997 season is Stansbury's fault? WTF? Surely you are just @#%$ with us.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
let's never mind that Ty Washington and Tang Hamilton were Gatorade Players of the Year in high school, Horatio Webster and Detric White were JUCO All-Americans, and even Bart Hyche left high school the all time leading 3 point shooter in Alabama history, breaking the record of some guy named Darryl Wilson. These guys weren't stiffs in high school, they were highly recruited players. Yeah, they either busted out or weren't as great as they were in high school/JUCO, but we can add them to a long freaking list of those guys here. Don't forget Tyrus Boswell and Quentin Smith.

Afro Dawg

Jan 23, 2007
could break out of the shadow of David Domingue. His presence overwhelmed that talentless 1997 team.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
why Coach hates Stans so much, and is stuck on David Domingue. He's COREY BECK! He's still feeling the effects of that vicious screen.

Afro Dawg

Jan 23, 2007
Who can forget Domingue, Hyche, Guy Gardner, Orien Watson, Reginald Boykin, Joe Courtney, Roy Goffer and Chancellor Nichols together?

Thank God Kirby came back and cleaned up that mess.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Who are you kidding? You know why you keep clicking. This is great entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login