2022 - 2023 Premier League Thread

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
london football GIF by Tottenham Hotspur

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Arsenal’s match at Man United next Sunday will be a good tell for both teams.
MU is still playing catch up. Casemiro will be in the lineup which will help, but I doubt Antony will so MU will still lack the firepower up front. It's City's league this year IMO because they are just so talented and deep that over the long haul. Other teams will all get injuries and it shows, but City has Mahrez and Grealish sitting on the bench. I think the fight this year will be for 2-4 with Haaland doing what we thought Haaland would do at City. It will be a pretty big shock if they don't win the league this year.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
MU is still playing catch up. Casemiro will be in the lineup which will help, but I doubt Antony will so MU will still lack the firepower up front. It's City's league this year IMO because they are just so talented and deep that over the long haul. Other teams will all get injuries and it shows, but City has Mahrez and Grealish sitting on the bench. I think the fight this year will be for 2-4 with Haaland doing what we thought Haaland would do at City. It will be a pretty big shock if they don't win the league this year.
Fair enough. My Gunners are showing real heart this year, I’m enjoying this ride.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Fair enough. My Gunners are showing real heart this year, I’m enjoying this ride.
Arsenal look super solid right now and have since the end of last year. They have just kept it rolling and are a clear favorite to land in the top 4. Chelsea and Liverpool have shown some vulnerabilities early on. Liverpool is beat up though, but will get healthy and apparently decided to wake up this weekend. They will be right there at the end more than likely once they get healthy. Spurs are looking solid early on too, but that is the Spurs calling card....will they finish strong too? United just has so many new pieces with a new HC so I'm hopeful that in the next month they can figure it all out and maybe find a healthy option at striker because Ronaldo will probably be gone in the next 3 days. I think the top 4 will be City and then Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, and the Spurs fighting it out for the final 3 spots.

United will land in the 6-7 spot if they are lucky as they just have no attack right now or consistency. Only early glimmer of hope is the new CB pairing of Varane and Martinez who will now get one of the best CDM's planted right in front of them with Casemiro starting this week. The back line has been so bad for so long it was nice to see 2 solid performances in a row back there. Casemiro will only help out there as he just breaks up plays and wins the aerial duals. Antony will add some spice in the upcoming weeks and they paid and arm and a leg for him so hopefully he will make an impact. He probably won't see the field though in a match for at least a week assuming they get the physical and other paper work done by this Friday. Hag the new coach has looked pretty good with his signings thus far in terms of their ability and play. Hopefully that trend continues.

Reactions: LionJim

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
And that is the problem with the PL. City annually and flagrantly dismisses rules of FFP. It’s a joke and makes everything they do that much less. It’s why teams are so interested in a Super League, to compete with City and PSG’s unlimited wealth.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
I think they are top 4, but not title contenders, not enough depth yet. Plus the kids have made strides and need to be more clinical in front of goal, Saka made way to Many touches in box and lost ball, similarly to NYCFC last night.

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
Ross Barkley released on free from Chelsea, pick for Leeds? Could use MF cover? Will he work like Jesse wants?

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
And that is the problem with the PL. City annually and flagrantly dismisses rules of FFP. It’s a joke and makes everything they do that much less. It’s why teams are so interested in a Super League, to compete with City and PSG’s unlimited wealth.
Sounds like whining. City hasn't won a Champions League yet, and Liverpool has been right there with City for the last few years. Other EPL teams need to be better at constructing their rosters and coaching strategies.

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
Sounds like whining. City hasn't won a Champions League yet, and Liverpool has been right there with City for the last few years. Other EPL teams need to be better at constructing their rosters and coaching strategies.
It not whining if City out spends everyone. Liverpool are not in same category, they have a budget and stick to it. Sheik Monsour wants to win it all (most owners do) he’ll outspend them all annually to do it and dismisses FFP rules at will.

my point is City better win given investment.
You mention Liverpool as example, net annual spend £20 million, versus City £101 million, or Chelsea (old version) at 25 million, only one close is Man United 75 million.

Premier League Club Netspend for the last 5 Seasons​

Transfer League for the last 5 Seasons
#Net Spend last 5 YearsPurchased GrossSoldNettPer Season
1Manchester City£818.5 M£312.9 M£505.6 M£101.1 M
2Manchester United£611.1 M£232.2 M£378.9 M£75.8 M
4Chelsea£656.9 M£523.6 M£133.2 M£26.6 M
3Everton£536.5 M£261.5 M£275.0 M£55.0 M
5Arsenal£443.1 M£194.2 M£249.0 M£49.8 M
6Brighton & Hove Albion£212.0 M£14.6 M£197.4 M£39.5 M
7Liverpool£470.9 M£378.5 M£92.4 M£18.5 M
8AFC Bournemouth£204.1 M£70.7 M£133.4 M£26.7 M
9West Ham£308.1 M£152.4 M£155.7 M£31.1 M
14Wolverhampton Wanderers£269.4 M£84.7 M£184.8 M£37.0 M
10Leicester£381.4 M£268.8 M£112.6 M£22.5 M
11Crystal Palace£161.5 M£105.3 M£56.2 M£11.2 M
15Watford£204.0 M£108.8 M£95.2 M£19.0 M
12Newcastle United£273.6 M£166.2 M£107.5 M£21.5 M
15Aston Villa£276.2 M£78.1 M£198.1 M£39.6 M
16Burnley£126.6 M£74.1 M£52.5 M£10.5 M
17Tottenham£322.3 M£227.7 M£94.6 M£18.9 M
18Sheffield United£55.0 M£14.7 M£40.3 M£08.1 M
19Southampton£240.4 M£243.2 M-£02.8 M-£00.6 M
20Norwich City£65.2 M£112.0 M-£46.8 M-£09.4

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Wednesday Night Football. A few matches are just underway. Liverpool v. Newcastle at 3 p.m. eastern.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Klopp needs fired. Meanwhile, Arsenal, Man City, and Tottenham are all winning.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
May as well give the title to MC (no offense Arsenal). Looking like a pretty boring race this season.
Haaland set that team to a different level. I would be surprised if it's not a double digit point difference at the end of the year. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6th are the only races....well and the relegation spots.

Reactions: A2nit

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Haaland set that team to a different level. I would be surprised if it's not a double digit point difference at the end of the year. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6th are the only races....well and the relegation spots.
I figured he was going to have an impact, but I wasn't thinking back-to back hat trick kind of impact. They could probably win the league without him so yeah, double digit pt diff wouldn't be a shock.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I figured he was going to have an impact, but I wasn't thinking back-to back hat trick kind of impact. They could probably win the league without him so yeah, double digit pt diff wouldn't be a shock.
As a BvB fan, I’ve had the pleasure of watching Håland for the past three seasons. If he stays healthy, he’ll be a beast in any league. 62 goals in 67 Bundesliga games and he’s only 22.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
As a Liverpool fan, ugh.

As a BvB and Spurs fan, I still want to say $%&@ you for Klopp. Honestly, I was hoping Erling would end up at Madrid so I could just enjoy watching him play at no expense to my fandom.

Just add Håland to the long list of good to great Dortmund players that were poached. Hummels, Gundogan, Sokratis, Mkhitaryan, Lewandowski, Pulisic, Aubameyang, Dembele, etc. Not to mention managers like Klopp & Teuchel, although Teuchel burned every bridge, boat, canoe, and rubber duck in town during his two years in Dortmund. It’s frustrating to perpetually be one year away from making a run at Bayern because we’re always losing a key player. I had a brief flicker of hope as Dortmund signed Sébastien Haller to replace Håland, only to have him be diagnosed with testicular cancer in training camp.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
As a BvB and Spurs fan, I still want to say $%&@ you for Klopp. Honestly, I was hoping Erling would end up at Madrid so I could just enjoy watching him play at no expense to my fandom.

Just add Håland to the long list of good to great Dortmund players that get poached. Hummels, Gundogan, Sokratis, Mkhitaryan, Lewandowski, Pulisic, Aubameyang, Dembele, etc. Not to mention managers like Klopp & Teuchel, although Teuchel burned every bridge, boat, canoe, and rubber duck in town during his two years in Dortmund. It’s frustrating to perpetually be one year away from making a run at Bayern because we’re always losing a key player. I had a brief flicker of hope as Dortmund signed Sébastien Haller to replace Håland, only to have him be diagnosed with testicular cancer in training camp.
Cool post. I like the rubber duck.

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
United with back to back clean sheets and picking up 3 straight W's. They are still struggling up top to produce chances, but Varane and Martinez seem like a pretty good pairing thus far. No Shrek Maguire and clean sheets start popping up. Gunners probably a different story on Sunday, but at least this MU team bounced back after that dreadful start.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
United with back to back clean sheets and picking up 3 straight W's. They are still struggling up top to produce chances, but Varane and Martinez seem like a pretty good pairing thus far. No Shrek Maguire and clean sheets start popping up. Gunners probably a different story on Sunday, but at least this MU team bounced back after that dreadful start.
We’ll see on Sunday. Utd still has quite a bit of improvement with Casemiro and Antony slotting in more.

Casemiro especially will really help with ball control and pacing.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login