2022 NWCA All-Star Classic thread

My Master

Nov 23, 2021
In a rematch of last year's NCAA final, Carter Starocci again beats Virginia Tech's Mehki Lewis. This time, he uses an escape and a third period rideout to win, 2-0. Penn State goes 3-0 at the NWCA All-Star match in Austin, Tex.

Good night, all.
Well Done Applause GIF

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
amazing that we are 3/3 at such an elite event BUT i guess with all the success we have had in NCAA finals NOTHING should surprise us! Great going PSU 3 wrestlers! and congratulate our coaching staff!!

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
This is for the older people. I read comparisons of Aaron Brooks to RBY, you know who he reminds me of, Carlton Haselrig, 6 time NCAA champ. Why, because Brooks moves like a lightweight and so did Haselrig the way they literally bounce around the mat.

Think about that comparison.

Reactions: WV lion

Michnit

Nov 1, 2021
In a rematch of last year's NCAA final, Carter Starocci again beats Virginia Tech's Mehki Lewis. This time, he uses an escape and a third period rideout to win, 2-0. Penn State goes 3-0 at the NWCA All-Star match in Austin, Tex.

Good night, all.
Greg - isn’t covering wrestling fun? 🤣🤣

Steelhead52

Sep 23, 2021
This is for the older people. I read comparisons of Aaron Brooks to RBY, you know who he reminds me of, Carlton Haselrig, 6 time NCAA champ. Why, because Brooks moves like a lightweight and so did Haselrig the way they literally bounce around the mat.

Years ago, we had a contest at work called the "pure athlete award". Each year you put a name in an envelope and wrote a prediction about this athlete. Envelopes were sealed and opened 5 years later. Haselrig was my selection. I was so amazed that this kid won a state championship at a school that didn't have a wrestling team. Then when he went to Pitt-Johnstown for college, he couldn't play football. My prediction was that he would be drafted in the NFL even without playing in college and would make All-Pro by year 3. In fact he was drafted in the last round by the Steelers and did indeed make all-pro by year 3. Each year, a voted on panel would open up the envelopes and decide on a winner. I won a few hundred bucks and ended up spending It all to take most of the participants to lunch. Haselrig was indeed one of the greatest athletes I ever saw. I agree with your comparison with Brooks.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
So our football coach just had a milestone for African American head football coaches.

It just dawned on me, because I am slow and I don’t pay much attention to skin tone, we could have four African American NC’s this year. 3 last year now that I think about it. With all the success AA’s have had over the years, has any team had more than 3 in one year? Was it 2 years ago when there were 5 total, which was a notable feat.

Reactions: Got GSPs

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Years ago, we had a contest at work called the "pure athlete award". Each year you put a name in an envelope and wrote a prediction about this athlete. Envelopes were sealed and opened 5 years later. Haselrig was my selection. I was so amazed that this kid won a state championship at a school that didn't have a wrestling team. Then when he went to Pitt-Johnstown for college, he couldn't play football. My prediction was that he would be drafted in the NFL even without playing in college and would make All-Pro by year 3. In fact he was drafted in the last round by the Steelers and did indeed make all-pro by year 3. Each year, a voted on panel would open up the envelopes and decide on a winner. I won a few hundred bucks and ended up spending It all to take most of the participants to lunch. Haselrig was indeed one of the greatest athletes I ever saw. I agree with your comparison with Brooks.
Nice story,

What makes them so similar is how light and quick they both seem on their feet for big strong guys.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Six degrees of Carlton Haselrig. Back in my HS days, Haselrig’s uncle reffed our dual meet against our rival. The dude was intense, but fair and very good. He didn’t tolerate stalling whatsoever, even at the high school level. He was brought in specifically for this match as we were both undefeated and he had a great reputation. I’ll never forget his opening line as he walked into our locker room for the prematch meeting. “Gentlemen, this is a fight with rules” Ahh, the good ole days.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Six degrees of Carlton Haselrig. Back in my HS days, Haselrig’s uncle reffed our dual meet against our rival. The dude was intense, but fair and very good. He didn’t tolerate stalling whatsoever, even at the high school level. He was brought in specifically for this match as we were both undefeated and he had a great reputation. I’ll never forget his opening line as he walked into our locker room for the prematch meeting. “Gentlemen, this is a fight with rules” Ahh, the good ole days.
I remember him well, sort of. I think he ran around the mat just like his nephew if I remember right. I do not think I knew he was the uncle.

pbohan1

Oct 30, 2021
Gomez may be the most entertaining wrestler in the country
Agreed, I thought that was the best match with Warner and Elam second. Getting TD's on Sasso is not easy, Gomez got 4 I believe in the 3rd period.

Latest posts