2024 - 2025 Premier League Thread

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Manchester Derby tomorrow morning at 10am for the Community Shield which should lead right into the women's gold medal match. One week out from the season starting.

Top 6 predictions.

1. Arsenal finally get over the hump, if not Arteta may see his window closing to get it done.
2. City. (hopefully they finally get hammered this fall with a massive points deduction and finish 20th)
3. Villa had a decent transfer window. Will be second if City gets hammered.
4. Liverpool
5. Chelsea
6 toss up between Spurs, Man United, and Newcastle.

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
Manchester Derby tomorrow morning at 10am for the Community Shield which should lead right into the women's gold medal match. One week out from the season starting.

Top 6 predictions.

1. Arsenal finally get over the hump, if not Arteta may see his window closing to get it done.
2. City. (hopefully they finally get hammered this fall with a massive points deduction and finish 20th)
3. Villa had a decent transfer window. Will be second if City gets hammered.
4. Liverpool
5. Chelsea
6 toss up between Spurs, Man United, and Newcastle.
Chelsea.... I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Chelsea.... I'll believe it when I see it.
They were playing well in the second half of the season. Outside of the top 2 it will come down to the health of the squads below the top 2. 6 team fight for 2 spots.

The other kicker for Chelsea is the turnover they had again this year. I think they’ll be in the mix for top 6 at least.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
First league match is 3pm next Friday, Man U-Fulham. USA Network.
My neighbor is a Jaguars fan so he picked Fulham to follow a few years back due to the owner. His pool has a TV mounted so I’ll be in the pool watching the opening match. Fajitas and beers to kick off the season. I can’t wait even for tomorrow.

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 13, 2021
Nice to see Harry finally get a trophy.
Actually a lot of sloppy reporting saying that Harry finally won a "trophy". First, these two or four team pre-season "trophies" are a joke. On CBS's coverage of the game, nowhere in the graphics did they say this was a cup game, they never mentioned it until the final few minutes. They displayed it as a Friendly.

Second, Harry and Tottenham DID win one of these pre-season cups. The 2019 Audi Cup.

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
Actually a lot of sloppy reporting saying that Harry finally won a "trophy". First, these two or four team pre-season "trophies" are a joke. On CBS's coverage of the game, nowhere in the graphics did they say this was a cup game, they never mentioned it until the final few minutes. They displayed it as a Friendly.

Second, Harry and Tottenham DID win one of these pre-season cups. The 2019 Audi Cup.

I'm just busting rocks. My disdain for Spurs does not deter from my appreciation of Kane. He's such a class guy, childhood Gunner don't forget!!! ;)

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 13, 2021
I'm just busting rocks. My disdain for Spurs does not deter from my appreciation of Kane. He's such a class guy, childhood Gunner don't forget!!! ;)
The "reporting" I mention was not you, but what I actually read in some of the Fleet Street papers today that this was Harry's first "trophy". Feels free to bust chops.

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
The "reporting" I mention was not you, but what I actually read in some of the Fleet Street papers today that this was Harry's first "trophy". Feels free to bust chops.
I honestly didn't see any reporting, but can imagine that would be the laziest reporting possible. Not shocked.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
My son is a big Arsenal fan. His hopes are high.

I see they may play several different men at the center forward. My old basketball coach used to say when you play several guys at one position that means you don’t really have anyone good enough to win with at that spot.

I don’t understand how they have managed to add players at other spots and leave that starting spot in the state it is?

Reactions: Alphabets

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
My son is a big Arsenal fan. His hopes are high.

I see they may play several different men at the center forward. My old basketball coach used to say when you play several guys at one position that means you don’t really have anyone good enough to win with at that spot.

I don’t understand how they have managed to add players at other spots and leave that starting spot in the state it is?
In basketball you don't have 3-4 separate league/tournaments running the entire season. Aresenal has EUFA, FA Cup, and Corrabo Cup so you need fresh legs for the mid week games and the ability to rest players in which will be a grueling year for Arsenal. With Man City facing deductions this January, IMO Aresnal are the CLEAR cut favorites to win the league this year. The only team that can really challenge them from a points perspective stands a decent shot of getting the hammer dropped on them halfway through the season.

In terms of signing people the rules for "free agents" and transfers is a bit different. Most guys sign 3 or 5 year contracts so you need to either resign them before their final year or they can walk free so you get nothing in return sometimes. It's not that these teams don't see the holes they need to fill, but sometimes the people they are targeting sign elsewhere or the $$$$'s just don't make sense. The players, clubs, and agents all have a say so it's a mess trying to get signings done. As a Man United fan I can could go on and on about awful spending and awful decisions under the Glazers who were in charge until this last spring.

Last edited:

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
In basketball you don't have 3-4 separate league/tournaments running the entire season. Aresenal has EUFA, FA Cup, and Corrabo Cup so you need fresh legs for the mid week games and the ability to rest players in which will be a grueling year for Arsenal. With Man City facing deductions this January, IMO Aresnal are the CLEAR cut favorites to win the league this year. The only team that can really challenge them from a points perspective stands a decent shot of getting the hammer dropped on them halfway through the season.

In terms of signing people the rules for "free agents" and transfers is a bit different. Most guys sign 3 or 5 year contracts so you need to either resign them before their final year or they can walk free so you get nothing in return sometimes. It's not that these teams don't see the holes they need to fill, but sometimes the people they are targeting sign elsewhere or the $$$$'s just don't make sense. The players, clubs, and agents all have a say so it's a mess trying to get signings done. As a Man United fan I can could go on and on about awful spending and awful decisions under the Glazers who were in charge until this last spring.
Nothing you write is new to me.

I have seen Arsenal come up small two years in a row in the last month of the season. Both years they had a glaring weakness and they are trying to address that weakness with more of the same.

Arsenal can be had. Artetta has a high ceiling, but he may have already hit it.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Nothing you write is new to me.

I have seen Arsenal come up small two years in a row in the last month of the season. Both years they had a glaring weakness and they are trying to address that weakness with more of the same.

Arsenal can be had. Artetta has a high ceiling, but he may have already hit it.
Well you clearly don't understand why you need more than one player at each position so that apparently needed explaining. If your goal is to win the league and Europe, you need real depth everywhere. Your attempt to say if you have more than one player kind of struck me as someone who doesn't understand the season and strain these guys are put under playing so many matches.

Arteta's ceiling was only undone by a team that played by their own FFP laws....you can google FFP since you seem to know. Anyone can be had with 2-3 key injuries including Arsenal, but on paper ahead of this season many are picking them as the writing is on the wall for City. I'm not sure why people ask questions about stuff they clearly don't know about and then say...they know it.....ok then.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule this weekend (8/16, 8/17, 8/18, 8/19), for the first weekend of the 2024-25 season.

Friday
3:00 pm EDT -- Man U. vs. Fulham (USA Network)

Saturday
7:30 am EDT -- Ipswich Town vs. Liverpool (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Nottingham Forest vs. AFC Bournemouth (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Arsenal vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Everton vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Newcastle U. vs. Southampton (Peacock)
12:30 pm EDT -- West Ham U. vs. Aston Villa (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EDT -- Brentford vs. Crystal Palace (USA Network)
11:30 am EDT -- Chelsea vs. Man C. (NBC)

Monday
3:00 pm EDT -- Leicester C. vs. Tottenham Hotspur (USA Network)

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Well you clearly don't understand why you need more than one player at each position so that apparently needed explaining. If your goal is to win the league and Europe, you need real depth everywhere. Your attempt to say if you have more than one player kind of struck me as someone who doesn't understand the season and strain these guys are put under playing so many matches.

Arteta's ceiling was only undone by a team that played by their own FFP laws....you can google FFP since you seem to know. Anyone can be had with 2-3 key injuries including Arsenal, but on paper ahead of this season many are picking them as the writing is on the wall for City. I'm not sure why people ask questions about stuff they clearly don't know about and then say...they know it.....ok then.
You are choosing to be argumentative and misrepresenting what I wrote.

Arsenal has had a weakness at center for two straight years. They have attempted to address it by plugging in multiple players. That has clearly not worked in the meaningful games in the closing months of the last two seasons.
They enter this year with the same situation as last.

Can they overcome this situation? Yes. Every team has some weakness.

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
TV schedule this weekend (8/16, 8/17, 8/18, 8/19), for the first weekend of the 2024-25 season.

Friday
3:00 pm EDT -- Man U. vs. Fulham (USA Network)

Saturday
7:30 am EDT -- Ipswich Town vs. Liverpool (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Nottingham Forest vs. AFC Bournemouth (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Arsenal vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Everton vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Newcastle U. vs. Southampton (Peacock)
12:30 pm EDT -- West Ham U. vs. Aston Villa (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EDT -- Brentford vs. Crystal Palace (USA Network)
11:30 am EDT -- Chelsea vs. Man C. (NBC)

Monday
3:00 pm EDT -- Leicester C. vs. Tottenham Hotspur (USA Network)
Happy Friday, c'mon Fulham!!!!

Reactions: Thus Spake Mainer

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
how do you let a goal like this, in the 87th minute?

Final: Man U over Fulham, 1-0

Latest posts