*** 2024 MLB Draft Thread ***

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
1st pick of the 3rd round is around $1,000,000 bonus. Maybe $650,000 after taxes. Between NIL and other sources, MSU could hook him up with something similar to return, but I don’t know that its the best use of our resources to do so.

Reactions: trob115 and eckie1

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
If DJ fell to the 3rd, then that makes me think Hines may fall further than expected too. Does Hines have another leverage year? I can’t remember.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Those of you wishing for DJ to fall are jackasses. I hope hes drafted as high as possible for as much money as possible and absolutely kills it in the pros. That being said, we would obviously welcome him back into our lineup.

For those thinking "how bad did that long slump hurt DJ?" This is from a best available article this morning:

Jordan has outstanding physicality that manifests in well-above-average strength and speed markers. Unfortunately, the usability isn't there. He struck out in 31% of his trips to the plate during SEC competition, and my research unearthed just one other player who punched out so frequently and had a notable MLB career -- and that was Edouard Julien, originally an 18th-round pick with a just over a full season's worth of plate appearances to his name. There's star-level upside if Jordan's employer can help him maximize his traits. It just appears that he'll have to wait longer than I expected for his name to be called.

Reactions: eckie1 and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Those of you wishing for DJ to fall are jackasses. I hope hes drafted as high as possible for as much money as possible and absolutely kills it in the pros. That being said, we would obviously welcome him back into our lineup.

For those thinking "how bad did that long slump hurt DJ?" This is from a best available article this morning:

Jordan has outstanding physicality that manifests in well-above-average strength and speed markers. Unfortunately, the usability isn't there. He struck out in 31% of his trips to the plate during SEC competition, and my research unearthed just one other player who punched out so frequently and had a notable MLB career -- and that was Edouard Julien, originally an 18th-round pick with a just over a full season's worth of plate appearances to his name. There's star-level upside if Jordan's employer can help him maximize his traits. It just appears that he'll have to wait longer than I expected for his name to be called.
DJ coming back would be the best thing for him and MSU. Unfortunately, it is him that does not realize this. Mershon is in the same boat.

That said, this whole phenomena of getting held back at a young age, and essentially being a year older right now (which results in these sophomores who are eligible, is a different deal. It's possible that DJ and Mershon have already made any jumps they are going to make, at least athletically. But maturity is always a good thing.

It's sort of like when you get a 4th year senior back - it is assumed that they aren't good because they didn't get drafted. And that normally is true, but in this case, we're talking about what I call a 2.5 year player......a sophomore that's old enough to be a junior. But a good player is a good player. I look back on a lot of those guys on Ole Miss' 2014 and 2022 teams.....a lot of seniors, but not crappy seniors. Heck, if DJ and Mershon came back and just put up similar numbers to last year, even not quite as good....they'll still be in great position for the next draft.

Reactions: eckie1

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
The portal is never closed anymore. Perhaps you missed the recent court ruling and NCAA removing all designated transfer windows.
Again, wrong. You cannot enter the portal right now. It is closed. It will not open again until later this fall. If he wanted to enter the portal, he had to have his name entered by last week.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The portal is never closed anymore. Perhaps you missed the recent court ruling and NCAA removing all designated transfer windows.
Portal is closed, unless there is new litigation in the next month, if Jordan returns it will be to starkville.

word is/was Jordans demands were high. Might have scared some teams off. Probably safe to say at this point it would take over slot for him to sign, but he’s had a night to sleep on those demands and 2 rounds of teams not giving in… so maybe that chsnged

as for the comment about he’d be better off coming back to school… it would definitely be the best thing for us… unlikely best thing for him. He wouldn’t add leverage. He would basically be treated as a senior draft wise next year, even though he could come back due to age alone…. He’s got the most leverage he’s going to have right now…. And other than swing and miss, which isn’t likely going to be fixed but certainly won’t here, there isn’t much more he can prove at the college level

Last edited:
Reactions: Msuirondawgs

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Thatcher Hurd to the Yankees with pick #89. So he won't be pitching anywhere in college next season.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Dang. No Hines either I believe. MLB not as impressed with our 2 biggest hitters as we thought. Might we get one or both back?
Crazy how many other college outfielders have gone before him. No Hines either, early round 4 now

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
At this point Jordan’s demands must be off the charts.

seems like he’s trending towards being back… although probably gotta give it thru at least round 5

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
At this point Jordan’s demands must be off the charts.

seems like he’s trending towards being back… although probably gotta give it thru at least round 5
I counted at least 8 other college outfielders now round 3-4. Not including round 2. Sheesh.

Edit: DJ to San Fran. Round 4.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
$625K and riding on a bus every night and sleeping in 3 star hotels... maybe, maybe not.
Minor league baseball has gotten a lot more perks lately.

my bet, is he’s gone, I’ll have to go back and check but I don’t think anyone drafted in the top 5 rounds didn’t sign last year…. Assuming if they (both sides) didn’t have the parameters for a deal in place then he wouldn’t have been drafted

also keep in mind the giants didn’t have a 2nd or 3rd round pick…. So he’s going to get over slot

he’s gone

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Strat beat me, but early consensus seems to be giants might not have the cash to sign him. They only have 7 million total to spend in the draft, and Tibbs will likely command 5 million. That only leaves 2 million for rounds 4-10.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Giants didn’t have a 2nd or 3rd round pick

jordan likely getting 2nd or 3rd round money

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Strat beat me, but early consensus seems to be giants might not have the cash to sign him. They only have 7 million total to spend in the draft, and Tibbs will likely command 5 million. That only leaves 2 million for rounds 4-10.
Without a 2nd or 3rd round pick.. they can’t afford to not sign their top 2…. Hard not to see a scenario where a deal isn’t already in place

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think he’d be better off coming back & trying to move up in next years draft. We’ll see. Could go either way.
He’s going to get 2nd 3rd round money

unless he thinks he can springboard into a top 15 pick… it’s not worth it. Plus age is an issue. Hell lose a lot of leverage next season unless he blows up big time.

He’d be making an awfully big bet on himself

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Without a 2nd or 3rd round pick.. they can’t afford to not sign their top 2…. Hard not to see a scenario where a deal isn’t already in place
You would think so, but the Giants would only be losing 695k in pool money if they don't sign him. Not a big deal either way for them.

Will be telling to see what Tibbs signs for, if DJ is signing. DJ wanted 2.5 million in bonus money. Also keep in mind his agent is Scott Boras. Boras is notorious for meeting his player demands or being willing to walk.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Giants didn’t have a 2nd or 3rd round pick

jordan likely getting 2nd or 3rd round money
probably 3rd roundish money which would be $800K to $850K, still not a slam dunk offer compared to what he could get next year. Agree that its 50/50, just my opinion

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You would think so, but the Giants would only be losing 695k in pool money if they don't sign him. Not a big deal either way for them.

Will be telling to see what Tibbs signs for, if DJ is signing. DJ wanted 2.5 million in bonus money. Also keep in mind his agent is Scott Boras. Boras is notorious for meeting his player demands or being willing to walk.
This isn’t 2014 buddy. Drsft has changed, you don’t see those hold outs for crazy signing bonuses anymore.

To me with giants it’s not the pool money they lose. It’s the minor league depth. They didn’t have a 2nd or 3rd round pick, if they don’t sign Jordan, theyve lost their 4th too.

again no one inside the top 5 rounds didn’t sign last year…. Hard to imagine a case where Jordan and the giants didn’t already have something in place to make sure the above ^^ wasn’t an issue

Reactions: AlCoDog

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
This isn’t 2014 buddy. Drsft has changed, you don’t see those hold outs for crazy signing bonuses anymore.

To me with giants it’s not the pool money they lose. It’s the minor league depth. They didn’t have a 2nd or 3rd round pick, if they don’t sign Jordan, theyve lost their 4th too.

again no one inside the top 5 rounds didn’t sign last year…. Hard to imagine a case where Jordan and the giants didn’t already have something in place to make sure the above ^^ wasn’t an issue
See JT Ginn.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
probably 3rd roundish money which would be $800K to $850K, still not a slam dunk offer compared to what he could get next year. Agree that its 50/50, just my opinion
I don’t think it’s 50-50… I think it’s 85-15.

compared to what he could get next year… is a big bet on himself

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login