*** 2024 MLB Draft Thread ***

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
See JT Ginn.
lol. The draft has changed since ginn. New cba. Slot values. Draft pool money.

read up on it and report back. They’ve changed it so teams like the pirates could sign skenes and not have skenes hold out so the Yankees could give him 30 millions to sign…… The ginn days are gone.

see- internet, new draft rules and policies

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Also worth nothing that not only did San Fran not have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Their 1st pick was a senior.

meaning they’ll definitely have the room to go over slot. I change my 85-15 to 93-7

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
DJ, if u read this board u really need to come back to State, work your way up into the 1st round in 2025 and triple the $ you’ll get compared to being a 4th rounder.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Also worth nothing that not only did San Fran not have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Their 1st pick was a senior.

meaning they’ll definitely have the room to go over slot. I change my 85-15 to 93-7
I have seen that about Tibbs being a senior but he is a junior. But I’m sure he told them 75% of slot was good so they can use that. But doesn’t matter. Jordan is gone.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I have seen that about Tibbs being a senior but he is a junior. But I’m sure he told them 75% of slot was good so they can use that.
If he’s a junior that changes things. I have read multiple times he’s a senior.

but yes I’m assuming there are or were talks before the draft with both

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Portal is closed, unless there is new litigation in the next month, if Jordan returns it will be to starkville.

word is/was Jordans demands were high. Might have scared some teams off. Probably safe to say at this point it would take over slot for him to sign, but he’s had a night to sleep on those demands and 2 rounds of teams not giving in… so maybe that chsnged

as for the comment about he’d be better off coming back to school… it would definitely be the best thing for us… unlikely best thing for him. He wouldn’t add leverage. He would basically be treated as a senior draft wise next year, even though he could come back due to age alone…. He’s got the most leverage he’s going to have right now…. And other than swing and miss, which isn’t likely going to be fixed but certainly won’t here, there isn’t much more he can prove at the college level
Right now the book on him is he can't hit a breaking ball. If he comes back and disproves that, he's a 1st rounder.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Right now the book on him is he can't hit a breaking ball. If he comes back and disproves that, he's a 1st rounder.
Another person with a so called “book”

I mean it’s obvoiusly that if he comes back and improves he could maybe make more… but it’s a healthy bet on himself.. when in all likelihood he’s going to get well over 4th round slot value and maybe even 2nd round money.

Age matters as well… even if he’s only a junior next season… he will lose leverage because everyone will know he’s not coming back for year 4

patdog

May 28, 2007
He’s going to get 2nd 3rd round money

unless he thinks he can springboard into a top 15 pick… it’s not worth it. Plus age is an issue. Hell lose a lot of leverage next season unless he blows up big time.

He’d be making an awfully big bet on himself
I think it’s a bet worth taking. He could get 1st round money next year if he has a good season.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Another person with a so called “book”

I mean it’s obvoiusly that if he comes back and improves he could maybe make more… but it’s a healthy bet on himself.. when in all likelihood he’s going to get well over 4th round slot value and maybe even 2nd round money.

Age matters as well… even if he’s only a junior next season… he will lose leverage because everyone will know he’s not coming back for year 4
That's not how it works, or else all the juniors that are picked wouldn't get $. They do.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think it’s a bet worth taking. He could get 1st round money next year if he has a good season.
If your drafted in the top 5 round and given a honest deal, which I’m sure the giants will give him an overly above fair offer, you are crazy to turn it down.

your giving up a million dollars give or take, and a season of professional ball and pay, and start making strides towards the big leagues…..

To go back to college and hope you get drafted 50 picks higher… when really you don’t know… you could have a better season and still get drafted in the same spot next year….

Not a bet I’m making if I’m a 20 year old kid

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That's not how it works, or else all the juniors that are picked wouldn't get $. They do.
They all do?!?!!!

Juniors sign under slot value all the time….. they know year 4 they won’t have any the leverage….

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You guys do realize that ONE player taken in the Top 10 rounds last year didn't sign? They KNOW DJ will sign for what they will offer or they wouldn't have drafted him. There is a penalty for not signing all your Top 10 picks. He's gone, let it go.
There isn’t a penality for not signing all 10 picks

there is a penalty if you don’t offer all 10 of your picks slot value.

either way, your right, Jordan is long gone. Giants don’t draft him being it’s their 2nd round pick basically, without knowing they can sign him

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
There isn’t a penality for not signing all 10 picks

there is a penalty if you don’t offer all 10 of your picks slot value.

either way, your right, Jordan is long gone. Giants don’t draft him being it’s their 2nd round pick basically, without knowing they can sign him
My understanding was if you don't sign a top 10 pick then you lose the slot value of the guy you don't sign out of your overall available signing pool. But I could certainly be mistaken.

Reactions: trob115

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
My understanding was if you don't sign a top 10 pick then you lose the slot value of the guy you don't sign out of your overall available signing pool. But I could certainly be mistaken.
I think you lose that value if you don’t offer the slot. So if don’t you offer slot and they don’t sign, then you lose that money the following year.

But if you offer slot, and the player rejects or has crazy demands… then you aren’t penalized, and you are given that same pick in the draft the following year

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The real question is would any college baseball program offer him $700K to play one more year.

The answer to that is no.

Hopefully he will improve in the minors, and hopefully faster than slower. He will be in Richmond or Sacremento most likely, lots of greyhound bus miles ahead.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
$1million less whatever NIL you could get.
We aren’t paying anyone close to 1 million. But yes I get the point of the statement made.

but as been stated in this thread. Jordan had a number he’d sign for, almost guaranteed at this point for the giants to have agreed on that number prior to drafting him

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I think you lose that value if you don’t offer the slot. So if don’t you offer slot and they don’t sign, then you lose that money the following year.

But if you offer slot, and the player rejects or has crazy demands… then you aren’t penalized, and you are given that same pick in the draft the following year
I believe you are wrong. A quick search revealed the following:

"Each choice in the first 10 rounds of the Draft comes with an assigned value, with the total for a club's selections equaling what it can spend in those rounds without incurring a penalty. If a player taken in the top 10 rounds doesn't sign, his pick's value gets subtracted from his team's pool."

Reactions: trob115

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Is Nori our only HS signee or portal commitment that has been drafted so far?

I believe you are wrong. A quick search revealed the following:

"Each choice in the first 10 rounds of the Draft comes with an assigned value, with the total for a club's selections equaling what it can spend in those rounds without incurring a penalty. If a player taken in the top 10 rounds doesn't sign, his pick's value gets subtracted from his team's pool."
Oh yes I was meaning for the future year. In was misunderstanding what you were saying.

yes there isn’t anything that can be done for the current year. But if a team drafts and offers slot and the kid doesn’t sign, then they get that pick back and slot money back the following year.

if you draft skmeone this year and they don’t sign… it’s gone. Exactly right

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You guys do realize that ONE player taken in the Top 10 rounds last year didn't sign? They KNOW DJ will sign for what they will offer or they wouldn't have drafted him. There is a penalty for not signing all your Top 10 picks. He's gone, let it go.
To echo this point I just read where everyone drafted yesterday and today (top 10 rounds) are expected to sign. Basically said it would be a screw up or a miscommunication if they didn’t.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
In all of this bitching back and forth, I saw no mention of Brooks Auger going in the 6th to the Dodgers. Congrats to Brooks!
Happy for him as much as I cant stand the Dodgers. Brooks bought himself several rounds with the way he finished this year.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That was over medicals if I remember correctly.
Ginn turning down the Dodgers had nothing to do with medical issues. He had a number, and they didn’t hit it. He actually got a bigger bonus than his 2018 slot value a few years later….while recovering from TJ.

That particular year (2018), the Dodgers had the lowest bonus pool of any MLB team, and had to go over-slot on several guys around Ginn in the draft. I think part of it was the Dodgers had guys high on their board in the 2nd / 3rd rounds that they didn’t expect to be there when they picked, so they took them and had to sweeten the pot.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Ginn turning down the Dodgers had nothing to do with medical issues. He had a number, and they didn’t hit it. He actually got a bigger bonus than his 2018 slot value a few years later….while recovering from TJ.

That particular year (2018), the Dodgers had the lowest bonus pool of any MLB team, and had to go over-slot on several guys around Ginn in the draft. I think part of it was the Dodgers had guys high on their board in the 2nd / 3rd rounds that they didn’t expect to be there when they picked, so they took them and had to sweeten the pot.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hines and Mershon. Both be big to have back.

slot values are gone now. We’ll see how bad teams want them and how bad they want to go…

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Latest picks-

Hardin- Brewers Round 12
Huge Sac- Tampa Bay Round 13
Tyler Davis- KC Royals Round 15
Mershy- Angels Round 18
Cam Schulke- Cleveland Round 19

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login