2024 Penn State Opponents

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
Opponent, current record, current ranking (out of 134 teams)

WVU, 3-4, #75
Bowling Green, 3-4, #109
Kent State, 0-7, #134
Illinois, 6-1, #21
UCLA, 2-5, #85
USC, 3-4, #52

Overall opponent record: 17-25
Overall opponent record - losses to PSU: 17-19
Total opponents with winning record: 1
Total opponents ranked in top-25: 1
Average rank of opponents through week-8: #79

It’s not entirely PSU’s fault that the schedule is so weak this year, though it makes spending millions to squash the likes of Kent State look that much worse.

My main takeaway, though, is that we’ve only faced one decent team, and with the exception of the worst team in CFB, we haven’t exactly dominated these opponents. I’m also concerned that this is likely to be the best team Penn State fields in the Drew Allar era. We’re likely losing a lot of players after this season, so the odds are the 2025 team will not be an overall improvement.

What do you guys think?

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

WVU, 3-4, #75
Bowling Green, 3-4, #109
Kent State, 0-7, #134
Illinois, 6-1, #21
UCLA, 2-5, #85
USC, 3-4, #52

It’s not entirely PSU’s fault that the schedule is so weak this year, though it makes spending millions to squash the likes of Kent State look that much worse.

My main takeaway, though, is that we’ve only faced one decent team, and with the exception of the worst team in CFB, we haven’t exactly dominated these opponents. I’m also concerned that this is likely to be the best team Penn State fields in the Drew Allar era. We’re likely losing a lot of players after this season, so the odds are the 2025 team will not be an overall improvement.

What do you guys think?
USC lost four very winnable games. But it doesn’t matter if we beat Wisconsin and OSU.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021

WVU, 3-4, #75
Bowling Green, 3-4, #109
Kent State, 0-7, #134
Illinois, 6-1, #21
UCLA, 2-5, #85
USC, 3-4, #52

What do you guys think?
Don't know where you're pulling your "current ranking" for our opponents, but USC is certainly too low in this metric.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021

WVU, 3-4, #75
Bowling Green, 3-4, #109
Kent State, 0-7, #134
Illinois, 6-1, #21
UCLA, 2-5, #85
USC, 3-4, #52

What do you guys think?
One word: Detroit

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

WVU, 3-4, #75
Bowling Green, 3-4, #109
Kent State, 0-7, #134
Illinois, 6-1, #21
UCLA, 2-5, #85
USC, 3-4, #52

What do you guys think?

USC is definitely better than their record, but the numbers are the numbers. Season has hinged on this stretch of games (USC, Wisc., OSU) and we're 1-0 so far.

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
USC is definitely better than their record, but the numbers are the numbers. Season has hinged on this stretch of games (USC, Wisc., OSU) and we're 1-0 so far.
Could certainly be true. Their losses are mostly by very slim margins. However, in situations like these, I ask myself, “Would my reaction be different if Penn State was 3-4 with 3 of their losses being razor thin?”

I think I’d be pretty pissed.

also, two of their losses are to Minnesota and Maryland which… the fact that those teams were able to hang in there…? 🤮

Reactions: Midnighter

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Agreed it doesn't necessarily look impressive in terms of SOS. But if PSU finishes at 12-0 or 11-1, it won't matter if we win every game by single digits.

Reactions: Calabrin

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
Agreed it doesn't necessarily look impressive in terms of SOS. But if PSU finishes at 12-0 or 11-1, it won't matter if we win every game by single digits.
Absolutely true. Michigan had a similar road last year with a very weak schedule and we all know how that turned out.

It is frustrating, though, because the schedule is in our favor, and that aligned with a season in which our on-field talent is high, and then you watch these games against these flimsy opponents and it’s like, “Why do we appear to be struggling so much?”

You know what else? The impact of the Ohio State game is significantly reduced this season. It means more to OSU because they’ve already lost. But us? We can lose that game, and as long as we beat everyone else, we’re hosting a playoff game.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login