2024 Phillies Thread

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
The Phils are getting the energy back. Hopefully, peaking at the right time.

BrianS

Oct 31, 2021
Just "supposing" here, so take it with a grain of salt:
If the Phils go {12-13} in their remaining 25 games, the Braves must go {19-6} just to tie for the division title. The Mets must go {20-5} to tie for the division.
Therefore, as long as the Phillies remain "injury free", this series may have gone a long way in clinching the East!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Just "supposing" here, so take it with a grain of salt:
If the Phils go {12-13} in their remaining 25 games, the Braves must go {19-6} just to tie for the division title. The Mets must go {20-5} to tie for the division.
Therefore, as long as the Phillies remain "injury free", this series may have gone a long way in clinching the East!
They really need to win or place in the NL. Im checking the dodgers and brewers on the daily.

Reactions: BrianS and PSUAVLNC

Rick76

Oct 13, 2021
On July 1, 2024, the Phillies had an eight game lead on the Braves.

On September 1, 2024, the Phillies have a seven game lead on the Braves. Despite a rocky July and August, we're in great shape.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Not that anyone cares, but what I’m watching and thinking about-

1- It’s a free for all, but seeding and draws will be fascinating. Do the Phillies prefer a bye? I’ve combed through the remaining schedules and you’ll have to do the same to make your call. The Phillies have a crucial series in Milwaukee that could determine seeding and the Braves have a late series against the Dodgers that could determine seeding as well and whether the Braves get into the tourney. It’s very possible that one draw could be the third seed Phillies against a restocked Braves team with Riley and Albeis. I don’t want to see that.

2- Let’s be honest. Without 1-3 slots in the lineup picking it up, this could be a short post season series. They desperately need the top of the lineup to pick up their game. Whatever it takes (more rest, less rest, whatever), they have to find it.

3- I assume it’s Wheels and Nola at the top but a series where you need a 3rd starter makes the finish by Suarez and Sanchez important to find your #3. If it’s where you use 4, then it’s obvious but the ordering of 3 and 4 is interesting.

4- People are down on Alvarado but he’s critical as the team’s second lefty in the pen. Topper hedged a bit saying that Kerkering is like a lefty in his splits. If that is indeed the case, expect Matty and Kerkering for lefty situations, Hoffman and Estevez for righty situations. A productive Alvarado could be HUGE.

5- I may have flipped a bit here but I don’t like the OF setup currently. It seems they prefer Hays and that the platoon is Marsh and Rojas. Rojas has made some catches that only he makes. I’d go the platoon with Hays and Marsh and play Rojas. Games tighten up, Rojas can make plays in tight games that only he gets to. But they seem to really like Hays.

It’s going to be an epic post season. For the NL, a field of say Atl, Az, and SD in the wild cards is a gauntlet. Mets or Cubs as a hot team getting in is no picnic either. There are no easy draws which makes getting the highest seed possible critical to the boys. The other side of the bracket is just as formidable. I think this is going to be an absolutely special post season. The suits are salivating over a Judge Ohtani Series but there are so many great possibilities.

Nick was right, it feels like Oct is right around the corner given how The Bank felt this weekend. Time for some bedlam.

BrianS

Oct 31, 2021
usually these number arent in a vacum, they are usually a combination of Phillie wins and Atlanta? loses? is this correct?
You are correct! For every Phillies win, subtract 1. For every Brave loss, subtract 1. And, you better do the same for the Mets. They are playing good ball right now, and they are only 1/2 game behind the Braves.

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021

1- It’s a free for all, but seeding and draws will be fascinating. Do the Phillies prefer a bye? I’ve combed through the remaining schedules and you’ll have to do the same to make your call. The Phillies have a crucial series in Milwaukee that could determine seeding and the Braves have a late series against the Dodgers that could determine seeding as well and whether the Braves get into the tourney. It’s very possible that one draw could be the third seed Phillies against a restocked Braves team with Riley and Albeis. I don’t want to see that.

2- Let’s be honest. Without 1-3 slots in the lineup picking it up, this could be a short post season series. They desperately need the top of the lineup to pick up their game. Whatever it takes (more rest, less rest, whatever), they have to find it.

3- I assume it’s Wheels and Nola at the top but a series where you need a 3rd starter makes the finish by Suarez and Sanchez important to find your #3. If it’s where you use 4, then it’s obvious but the ordering of 3 and 4 is interesting.

4- People are down on Alvarado but he’s critical as the team’s second lefty in the pen. Topper hedged a bit saying that Kerkering is like a lefty in his splits. If that is indeed the case, expect Matty and Kerkering for lefty situations, Hoffman and Estevez for righty situations. A productive Alvarado could be HUGE.

5- I may have flipped a bit here but I don’t like the OF setup currently. It seems they prefer Hays and that the platoon is Marsh and Rojas. Rojas has made some catches that only he makes. I’d go the platoon with Hays and Marsh and play Rojas. Games tighten up, Rojas can make plays in tight games that only he gets to. But they seem to really like Hays.

It’s going to be an epic post season. For the NL, a field of say Atl, Az, and SD in the wild cards is a gauntlet. Mets or Cubs as a hot team getting in is no picnic either. There are no easy draws which makes getting the highest seed possible critical to the boys. The other side of the bracket is just as formidable. I think this is going to be an absolutely special post season. The suits are salivating over a Judge Ohtani Series but there are so many great possibilities.

Nick was right, it feels like Oct is right around the corner given how The Bank felt this weekend. Time for some bedlam.
Forget Alvarado. He’s a liability at this point. You can’t count on him for 3 outs.

I think they should give him the Dominguez treatment after the season.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021

I loved this but I’m now unrelaxed

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
You are correct! For every Phillies win, subtract 1. For every Brave loss, subtract 1. And, you better do the same for the Mets. They are playing good ball right now, and they are only 1/2 game behind the Braves.
Yes. We always forget that, in 1964, it was the Reds that were in second, not the Cards, when the losing streak began.

Relayer

Oct 12, 2021

At this point I'm giving the Dodgers the overall best record. They just beat up on the Dbacks.

Option A is getting the 3rd seed, have to play the Braves or Mets in a best of 3, then mostly likely the Brewers with no home field, then the Dodgers.

Option B, get the first round bye, guaranteed home field in The NLDS, then the Dodgers.

Given the choice, I'll take Option B every time.

Reactions: BrianS

Latest posts