2024 PSU WVB Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
#14 in white is having quite the night with kills

Emmi Sellman. She's a freshman. tOSU got a good one with her. She was one of the top 5 prospects in the country in last year's class, and was the Gatorade Player of the Year in 2022 & 2023. She's also been prominent on USA Volleyball teams at different age levels in international competitions.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Women's sports are just different. They're playing poorly and just blew a 10-7 lead yet they're laughing and giving high 5s. A men's coach would be yelling and telling the players to get their act together and bear down. It's not like that with women.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Women's sports are just different. They're playing poorly and just blew a 10-7 lead yet they're laughing and giving high 5s. A men's coach would be yelling and telling the players to get their act together and bear down. It's not like that with women.
I made a similar comment to a friend who was a HS VB coach for years and years.
We talk about body language of athletes. Players in white tonight has stress and anxiety on their faces.
Penn State was loose.
Her comment - Penn State has been there before.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Crazy match. I have never seen an official flub a call like the one near the end of set 4 and reverse it 2 points later. Once those points were played I'd have thought the only two options would be to either (1) rewind the game to the point in question, correct it, then play it out from there or (2) just play on as is and live with the error. Never imagined they'd just correct the points later in the match.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
@Tom McAndrew is there any documentation showing Russ Rose players who have gone into coaching?
Watching “The Streak”, I see several of the ladies wearing college gear from other schools.
Unfortunately, Miss Fawcett in red and silver.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@Tom McAndrew is there any documentation showing Russ Rose players who have gone into coaching?
Watching “The Streak”, I see several of the ladies wearing college gear from other schools.
Unfortunately, Miss Fawcett in red and silver.

I think I saw that kind of info when Russ Rose retired, but I can't locate it doing a quick search. I suspect @NitneLiun may know if such a document exists on VolleyTalk or some of the other VB sites.

I'll give you a few names, and others can add to it:

Darcy Dorton - Ball State head coach
Katie Schumacher-Cawley - PSU head coach
Megan Hodge Easy - PSU assistant coach
Salima Rockwell - Notre Dame head coach
Abby Detering - Rutgers associate head coach
Blair Brown - former head coach of Buffalo (no longer coaching)
Nicolę Fawcett - Ohio State assistant coach
Alisha Glass - former Stanford assistant coach (I don't think she's currently coaching)
Kristin Carpenter - former Maryland assistant coach (I don't think she's currently coaching)
Jessica Yanz - Wisconsin director of volleyball operations
Joanie Guman-Troutman - former Penn State Lehigh Valley head coach (I'm not sure what she's up to now)
Kris Brown - she's the owner/director of High Tide Volleyball (a VB club)
Kate Price - she was the head coach of Eastern Illinois U. (I'm not sure what she's up to now)
Lori Lokash - head coach of Slipper Rock U
Julie Firth - she was the long-time head coach of UNC Asheville. (I'm not sure what she's up to now)
Leanne Kling - she's been the long-time head coach of Shippensburg U
Alyssa D'Errico - Utah University associate head coach
Arielle Wilson - Missouri U. defensive coordinator/recruiting coordinator
Megan Shifflett - George Mason head coach
Ariel Scott - she was an assistant coach at NJIT. I'm not sure what she's up to now

That's my quick take on this. I'm sure there are a lot of names I'm missing from the tree.

Reactions: rem524 and BobPSU92

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
I think I saw that kind of info when Russ Rose retired, but I can't locate it doing a quick search. I suspect @NitneLiun may know if such a document exists on VolleyTalk or some of the other VB sites.

Alisha Glass - former Stanford assistant coach (I don't think she's currently coaching)
Kristin Carpenter - former Maryland assistant coach (I don't think she's currently coaching)
Joanie Guman-Troutman - former Penn State Lehigh Valley head coach (I'm not sure what she's up to now)
Kate Price - she was the head coach of Eastern Illinois U. (I'm not sure what she's up to now)
Julie Firth - she was the long-time head coach of UNC Asheville. (I'm not sure what she's up to now)
Ariel Scott - she was an assistant coach at NJIT. I'm not sure what she's up to now

That's my quick take on this. I'm sure there are a lot of names I'm missing from the tree.
Impressive list, and impressive you pulled this up quickly at 1:44 in the morning!
Thank you.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I went to Tennessee and had a friend who played for Pat Summitt. Trust me, “yelling and telling the players to get their act together” went on 24/7.

Mrdibbs

Oct 12, 2021
I do believe that scorekeeping errors are correctable and this snafu (by the second referee) would certainly be a scorekeeping error.
Felt bad for the R2 who just got out ahead of herself in a very tight, highly charged match. Why NOBODY at the scorers table (lot of people sitting there) said nothing to correct the R2 is a mystery to me.
I will bet that the post match debrief was fun for all.

With all that said about a single scorekeeping/challenge review error, what a match with ebb and flow from both teams.
Just like I said after the PSU/USC Football game, it's a great one to win and must really suck to lose

rem524

Oct 28, 2021
I highly recommend watching The Streak on The Big 10 Story. Fun to relive that stretch of dominance and hear from many of the players.

I started at PSU in the fall of 1980 and didn’t really realize that Russ Rose was pretty new at PSU at that point. As they said in the show, they had a good run during the Atlantic 10 years too.

I also ended up watching the Matt Millen episode this morning. Quite a story there also.

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
Tom or anyone with information - I missed the showing of 'Russ Rose -The Streak' ----- when will it be shown again? or copies available?

Thank you in advance !!

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
Tom or anyone with information - I missed the showing of 'Russ Rose -The Streak' ----- when will it be shown again? or copies available?

Thank you in advance !!

I suspect it will be shown again but haven’t seen when. It started about 30 minutes late because of tOSU - PSU VB match going so long.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Why NOBODY at the scorers table (lot of people sitting there) said nothing to correct the R2 is a mystery to me.

Great point @Mrdibbs
How does the white team’s coaches not stop play and ask about immediately? HC especially. And, how many assistants are sitting on their hands not commenting?

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
I watched lastnight's match from the 3rd on and I noticed one thing. God forgive me but I couldn't help but keep thinking that OSU has the least attractive WVB team I've ever seen.

Last edited:

NitneLiun

Aug 24, 2017

I've never seen a list, but I do know that quite a few are coaching club volleyball, as well. Katie Kabbes, Kaleena Davidson and Roberta Holehouse are all coaching club volleyball. There might be others.

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
PSU wore out tOSU last night

Neb played in East Lansing last night, went to Columbus and won in straight sets this afternoon: 18 / 18 / 16.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login