$20MM grant for 182 corridor

Aug 29, 2009

Paving the way to Dave's and Rick's

From the article
"The first phase of the project began in 2019 with a nearly $13 million BUILD grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

That money was earmarked for stormwater drainage, improving infrastructure, and making the street more accessible to pedestrians and wheelchair access."

What improvements/changes were made from the 2019 grant of $13 million? Are we about to spend a combined $37 million on 182 just to install some new lights and trees for a combined stretch of 1-2 miles of road? Where's @PooPopsBaldHead to breakdown how much waste is involved with this project? He's done pretty well with shredding the spend on campus dorms.

DudyDog

Jun 18, 2008
From the article

What improvements/changes were made from the 2019 grant of $13 million? Are we about to spend a combined $37 million on 182 just to install some new lights and trees for a combined stretch of 1-2 miles of road? Where's @PooPopsBaldHead to breakdown how much waste is involved with this project? He's done pretty well with shredding the spend on campus dorms.
I read that as 20mil total and they've already spent 13 of it. May be wrong, but that's how I read it. 20 mil doesn't get you what it used to, that's for sure.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
It really needs to be 4-laned with a middle turn lane all the way through to the west #25 bypass intersection. But hey, a few trees and concrete curbs ought to solve the heavy traffic. If you think like a small town, then you'll always be one.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It really needs to be 4-laned with a middle turn lane all the way through to the west #25 bypass intersection. But hey, a few trees and concrete curbs ought to solve the heavy traffic. If you think like a small town, then you'll always be one.
The town has no say in it really. Dave's has great wings!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This isn’t about traffic, it’s about making it more walkable and aesthetically pleasing - which is exactly what Starkville needs.

You want to drive fast - use the new 82.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
It sure as **** doesn't need to be a four lane. It needs to be cleaned up and made a more attractive thoroughfare for the area to attract better businesses than tire shops and dollar generals.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
It sure as **** doesn't need to be a four lane. It needs to be cleaned up and made a more attractive thoroughfare for the area to attract better businesses than tire shops and dollar generals.
I'm not sure how you make it attractive short of bulldozing it all. What a completely random mix of repurposed and abandoned stuff there is along there. Funny enough the corner at Jackson that was "cleaned up" they put in a DT/FD combo.
I'm no visionary so maybe I'm just not seeing it. Either way, appreciate Roger sending a little our way to make it a bit better.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not sure how you make it attractive short of bulldozing it all. What a completely random mix of repurposed and abandoned stuff there is along there. Funny enough the corner at Jackson that was "cleaned up" they put in a DT/FD combo.
I'm no visionary so maybe I'm just not seeing it. Either way, appreciate Roger sending a little our way to make it a bit better.
Anything helps. Only MS people would criticize things like this.