5G service in stadium

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I know record crowd and ****, but a video that I tried to post since 2nd inning finally posted when I got on 82 at Clayton Village.

That is absolutely ridiculous and worse than any football game I have been to.

That’s my bitching for today. Win tomorrow and win the series. Go Dawgs, HailState, Fu€k OM!

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I know record crowd and ****, but a video that I tried to post since 2nd inning finally posted when I got on 82 at Clayton Village.

That is absolutely ridiculous and worse than any football game I have been to.

That’s my bitching for today. Win tomorrow and win the series. Go Dawgs, HailState, Fu€k OM!
I have Verizon and couldn’t load tweets or get/send iMessage. At one point my phone switched to SOS only, which I’m not sure it’s done before- I couldn’t even make a phone call.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Game days and cell phone service at MSU don’t go hand to hand. I’ve had Verizon for personal and AT&T for work since 2010. AT&T worked better on football game days but was still pretty poor considering. Verizon service really started slipping throughout our state and N. Louisiana the last couple years so we switched the personal phones to AT&T this January.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The tornados of three weeks ago have affected cell service a lot in NE Miss. I don’t know if it affected service in Starkville or not but it’s possible.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
We also have the worst PA sound system in the country. It is deafening in the stands and when you’re in the outfield you can’t tell we have a public address announcer or music

Reactions: PhredPhantom

Baddmann

Sep 20, 2015
I have Verizon and couldn’t load tweets or get/send iMessage. At one point my phone switched to SOS only, which I’m not sure it’s done before- I couldn’t even make a phone call.
I have Verizon and the SOS happened to me also. Had to cycle airplane mode to get signal back.

I'm sure you know this: Too many people trying to use the same towers. Not enough demand (only a few times per year) to install more so only solution would be portable tower or just watch the game😂

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Game days and cell phone service at MSU don’t go hand to hand. I’ve had Verizon for personal and AT&T for work since 2010. AT&T worked better on football game days but was still pretty poor considering. Verizon service really started slipping throughout our state and N. Louisiana the last couple years so we switched the personal phones to AT&T this January.
You nailed it. I've had both carriers as well. The all suck and seem to be getting worse.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
A cell phone tower can only handle so much traffic-that many people in close proximity (and the majority of them using smartphones and trying to stream video at the same time) and the result will always be the same. Tower becomes overloaded and will remain that way until people stop trying to use bandwidth at the same time.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think its unreasonable to expect carriers to increase tower capacity in an area that only needs it for a period of a few hours per day for less than 10 days per year in a concentrated area.

The more efficient solution is to install in-stadium high-speed WiFi with sufficient capacity for SBW crowds. But of course that costs money, and I don’t know if the university wants to add more negatives to the balance sheet for baseball for SBW only.

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think its unreasonable to expect carriers to increase tower capacity in an area that only needs it for a period of a few hours per day for less than 10 days per year in a concentrated area.

The more efficient solution is to install in-stadium high-speed WiFi with sufficient capacity for SBW crowds. But of course that costs money, and I don’t know if the university wants to add more negatives to the balance sheet for baseball for SBW only.
Concur on the wi-fi, buy once cry once. There are portable cell towers, but you'd need a lot of them to improve reception for that many folks in such a small area. We need robust wi-fi in Scott Field and the Dud, it's more to keep young fans interested in coming to games than for us boomers.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You must have ATT service.

Yes, I do. How’d you guess?
I'm usually the first to gripe about AT&T on campus during the Fall but didn't have any issues this weekend. I don't screw around w/ TickTock, Facebook, or Instagram (despise them all) but had no trouble texting pictures I took or watching Twitter videos that other fans had posted. I don't think 5G is much of a thing in most places yet anyway, everybody wants to say they've got it but it doesn't seem to help much yet in most places

Last edited:
Reactions: GomJabbar

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Didn't even know the GTR had 5G service anywhere. I'm perfectly happy with my 4G. Works fine while in Starkvegas.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login