7 games in and our OL is still doing this

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Channel 9 Splash GIF by Australian Ninja Warrior

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
It seems like the guard and tackle on the right side is blocking for the wrong play. Their initial step is to the outside setting up a run to their side. Surely this was a miscommunication on the play call or they don't know the play book.
Car, you are right. You can even see our TE taking a step to the left trying to get to the second level. He can't get there because the G and T cross him up.

Our issue is that this is happening ALOT and has been happening all season. They are not being taught well.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
BTW.. if you go to the 3 second mark, you will see a hole for the RB... but he can't get to it because the right side went the wrong direction and he is being chased down.

If you move to the 4 second mark, you see a miss by our other TE who is a true freshman OT.... but we have to run the 12 personnel so a body has to be there. The hole created is closed by that missed block.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
It looked like NOBODY knew who to block so they just picked out somebody and hoped it worked out
It looks like the OL is running a zone blocking scheme where you don't have a specific assignment but rather a zone or level based on the direction of the play. Emphasis is made on getting ahead of your down linemen or bump up to the next level creating a seam rather than a hole. This is why there is sense of confusion from the TE and the linemen.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It looks like the OL is running a zone blocking scheme where you don't have a specific assignment but rather a zone or level based on the direction of the play. Emphasis is made on getting ahead of your down linemen or bump up to the next level creating a seam rather than a hole. This is why there is sense of confusion from the TE and the linemen.
In this case it's pretty clear that the left side of the line did one thing and the right side of the line did another, and it parted like the red sea for the Ark DL.

The most inexcusable part of this is that it was 3rd and 2 deep in Arky territory when a first down would've likely ended the game. We went on to miss a chip shot field goal after this.

There is no excuse for these guys not being aligned on the play call there. Arkansas had just called timeout before the play if I recall correctly. There was plenty of opportunity to get it right.

Last edited:

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
And it does appear as well that they just don’t have a 17-ing clue who to block and or they just don’t give a 17
That’s on the coaches *** and he should be there with them doing his own somersaults for his lack of coaching ability!!

Reactions: dog12 and Ibdancin

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
What we have are results.

We have a first year HC, a first year DC, and an OC who has only 1 year in the system he is using.

What we see on the field are the results of the madness above. What we see in recruiting is a result of this staff's results.

How many other teams in the Power 5 would hire an OC who has only 1 year in the system they are hiring him to run? Nobody. We are acting like a G5 program and getting the results.

Reactions: bulldognation

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Looks like to me if he had turned it up one step earlier he could have got the first down. Why run directly into your blocker ? But true enough they should have blown those guys off the line and the pursuit wasn't blocked at all. I know nobody liked Mason Miller but could he have been any worse ? Or not recruited just as good ?

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
This play is a poster child for the systemic issues on offense. Seems to me that a team with considerable experience, especially on the line should be able to execute this play in their sleep. The left TE play was poor as he did not seal the edge. The play should have been designed as a RPO with the right TE as an outlet and Wright should have pulled the ball and hit the TE on an out route. So a failure by the coaches and players. Not a crisp executed play to say the least.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
It seems like the guard and tackle on the right side is blocking for the wrong play. Their initial step is to the outside setting up a run to their side. Surely this was a miscommunication on the play call or they don't know the play book.
Noticed that too. Goede looks like he takes half a step too before falling in line with RG, RT, who are blocking for the wrong play

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Looks like to me if he had turned it up one step earlier he could have got the first down. Why run directly into your blocker ? But true enough they should have blown those guys off the line and the pursuit wasn't blocked at all. I know nobody liked Mason Miller but could he have been any worse ? Or not recruited just as good ?
I am pretty sure the O line graded out 2nd in the sec in terms of efficiency last year. Mason Miller could coach rings around Will Friend.

Other than being canned every where he’s been, what qualifications does Will Friend have .

Reactions: wdawg44

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010

"we still are having issues on who to target"... W Friend, Ms St OL coach

I wonder how much of this is due to the huge difference in O-line technique & expectations from last year's scheme? Let's not forget these guys had been lining up with much bigger gaps, focusing on one-on-one battles expected to hold blocks just long enough to throw a quick pass. Air Raid O-line play is as different or more different than suddenly switching to the Wishbone, IMO.

When we switched to the Air Raid, our O-line struggled badly in the first year, didn't it?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
That play is a Mississippi State staple throughout multiple coaches.

"Ole, on 2. Ready Break!"

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm sure the Right OG and OT heard the play call for the run left and just assumed they had misheard, since unlike our OC, they knew we had a left footed kicker.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
it appears all the oline has their backs turned in the wrong direction. could this have been a busted play by the QB? The right side of the oline and the left side look to be blocking for the play to have gone to the right side.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It looked like NOBODY knew who to block so they just picked out somebody and hoped it worked out
It was zone left.

the right guard went zone right or is just an idiot or both.

the left side of the line didn’t blow the defense off the ball but it wasn’t terrible.

we clearly have communication issues or something though bc the issue with the right guard has happened a lot.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It was zone left.

the right guard went zone right or is just an idiot or both.

the left side of the line didn’t blow the defense off the ball but it wasn’t terrible.

we clearly have communication issues or something though bc the issue with the right guard has happened a lot.

He went right and then didn't block anybody, at all. The old running backs coach from my high school would chew some butt about blocks like that, he called it a "LOOKOUT" block. He would chew the linemen out and say "if you block like that you damn sure better holler "LOOKOUT" to my running backs so they will know you 17d up and they are about to get lit up!"

Reactions: Seinfeld

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He went right and then didn't block anybody, at all. The old running backs coach from my high school would chew some butt about blocks like that, he called it a "LOOKOUT" block. He would chew the linemen out and say "if you block like that you damn sure better holler "LOOKOUT" to my running backs so they will know you 17d up and they are about to get lit up!"
This ain’t high school and once you step right you are beat. He tried to get back to him but he couldn’t.

I don’t know if it’s terminology, too complicated, not enough reps or what but you can’t win that way.

The positive thing is it can be fixed. It might not be but it’s possible.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
This ain’t high school and once you step right you are beat. He tried to get back to him but he couldn’t.

I don’t know if it’s terminology, too complicated, not enough reps or what but you can’t win that way.

The positive thing is it can be fixed. It might not be but it’s possible.
No confidence in that considering that was game 7

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Typically it takes a spring, a fall and about 11 games to get that straightened out. You know, unless you got a veteran line....oh wait ....maybe I meant good coach ??

Reactions: blitz2Win

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We hired Friend because he is a Philadelphia Ms native and therefore is a direct pipeline to dominating recruiting in this state. Plus he has coached all over the SEC.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
In this case it's pretty clear that the left side of the line did one thing and the right side of the line did another, and it parted like the red sea for the Ark DL.

The most inexcusable part of this is that it was 3rd and 2 deep in Arky territory when a first down would've likely ended the game. We went on to miss a chip shot field goal after this.

There is no excuse for these guys not being aligned on the play call there. Arkansas had just called timeout before the play if I recall correctly. There was plenty of opportunity to get it right.
I'm pretty sure this was immediately after a timeout, too...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login