A chart of US News Rankings for every relevant school

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for the uplifting message. I’ve got a masters from LSU in my back pocket. Even that doesn’t look very promising.

Reactions: RocketDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Unless it is a very specific degree PE, EE, Accounting, Architecture, etc… a college degree is a poor investment nowadays.
That is objectively incorrect. Even the typical business degrees from state schools pay off exponentially, compared to the mean and median incomes for not getting a degree. This was true in the early 00's, was true after the recession in the '10s, and data post-pandemic still shows it.

So besides degrees in education, all types of engineering, nursing, medical doctor, lawyer, accounting, veterinarian, counseling, pharmacy, economics, HR, and more all being required in order to even work in those fields, there is the reality that just typical business degrees(marketing and management, I believe) pay off bigly.
I mean, thats if you are statistically looking at the issue. If you emotionally look at the issue and ignore studies, then yes you are correct.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Funny enough, this was pushed to me today...
A recent report that was financially supported by Vanderbilt University and conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago—a highly respected independent and nonpartisan nonprofit research organization—shows that the ranking’s methodologies have the potential to mislead and misinform the students who rely on it.
Last year, I wrote a piece for Inside Higher Ed about why the ranking is problematic. From flawed methodologies to low-quality data to subjective standards, college rankings make it harder for students to find the right school. Complicating things further, U.S. News & World Report has changed the methodologies for most of its rankings over the past several years, including the Best Colleges rankings.
What we need is not a rankings system but a ratings system: a way to quantify key measures of academic quality and accessibility that is stable, data-driven, and transparent. And we need to be able to apply this ratings system to every institution, public and private, in the country.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
That is objectively incorrect. Even the typical business degrees from state schools pay off exponentially, compared to the mean and median incomes for not getting a degree. This was true in the early 00's, was true after the recession in the '10s, and data post-pandemic still shows it.

I was going to say you would have a hard time finding data to support the assertion that college is not worth it in general.
On an individual level, you may have circumstances that change the math on it. You could possibly make the case that it’s not worth it if you have to take on debt, but I don’t think the numbers bear that out either.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was going to say you would have a hard time finding data to support the assertion that college is not worth it in general.
On an individual level, you may have circumstances that change the math on it. You could possibly make the case that it’s not worth it if you have to take on debt, but I don’t think the numbers bear that out either.
There's a hundred different ways to look at it. But bottom line, the assertion that a lot of morons are pushing these days is, almost, that you're better off without a degree. That's pretty dishonest at minimum.

To me, even if you want to be a plumber/electrician/HVAC repair/etc., it's still a good idea to get some type of training that helps you learn how to monetize your craft - like a business degree. You don't have to go to Vanderbilt to get that degree either.

The whole 'muh college IsNt FoR eVeRyBoDy' shlt only plays if you're talking about say, being a Google-certified programmer vs. getting an English degree, with zero scholarships and 100% student debt. But that's not the reality.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You started a thread on this same issue, why start another negative thread. Future athletes and students and their families read these boards. Why push negative narratives so much?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You started a thread on this same issue, why start another negative thread. Future athletes and students and their families read these boards. Why push negative narratives so much?
The funniest part of this is 615 was asked why he always talks about these rankings in the other thread he started on them. His response lifted directly from the other thread:

“I post these rankings once per year the day they come out.”

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Unless it is a very specific degree PE, EE, Accounting, Architecture, etc… a college degree is a poor investment nowadays.
If you really believe that and are a MSU graduate, you’re a prime example of 615’s arguments regarding Keenum not doing a good job when it comes to MSU’s academics.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login