A chart of US News Rankings for every relevant school

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for the uplifting message. I’ve got a masters from LSU in my back pocket. Even that doesn’t look very promising.

Reactions: RocketDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Unless it is a very specific degree PE, EE, Accounting, Architecture, etc… a college degree is a poor investment nowadays.
That is objectively incorrect. Even the typical business degrees from state schools pay off exponentially, compared to the mean and median incomes for not getting a degree. This was true in the early 00's, was true after the recession in the '10s, and data post-pandemic still shows it.

So besides degrees in education, all types of engineering, nursing, medical doctor, lawyer, accounting, veterinarian, counseling, pharmacy, economics, HR, and more all being required in order to even work in those fields, there is the reality that just typical business degrees(marketing and management, I believe) pay off bigly.
I mean, thats if you are statistically looking at the issue. If you emotionally look at the issue and ignore studies, then yes you are correct.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Funny enough, this was pushed to me today...
A recent report that was financially supported by Vanderbilt University and conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago—a highly respected independent and nonpartisan nonprofit research organization—shows that the ranking’s methodologies have the potential to mislead and misinform the students who rely on it.
Last year, I wrote a piece for Inside Higher Ed about why the ranking is problematic. From flawed methodologies to low-quality data to subjective standards, college rankings make it harder for students to find the right school. Complicating things further, U.S. News & World Report has changed the methodologies for most of its rankings over the past several years, including the Best Colleges rankings.
What we need is not a rankings system but a ratings system: a way to quantify key measures of academic quality and accessibility that is stable, data-driven, and transparent. And we need to be able to apply this ratings system to every institution, public and private, in the country.

Reactions: DerHntr
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login