A Cut Above Bourbon

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
Great stuff. I am a big fan of the Bottled in Bound. I am currently hunting his Double Oak and Stogie Batch

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
His stuff is good. Stout, but good. Probably my favorite bourbon when I have the perception that my pocket is deeper than it truly is

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have had the Bourbon and the Rye and currently have an unopened bottle of the Bottled in Bond. It is excellent.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I've gotta ask an obvious question.

I haven't had it, but I'm all for supporting a Mississippi distillery making real hooch with Mississippi folks and mostly Mississippi inputs.

I just have to wonder how a brand new distillery can be producing a product that can compete with Kentucky distilleries that have produced fine bourbons for 75 or 100 years consecutively.

Is it really better than Wild Turkey 101 or Evan Williams BIB or Buffalo Trace.

I have to doubt it. But I will try it at some point.

Anon1711546381

Mar 27, 2024
Nothing a little Coca-Cola can’t fix.***
Several years ago we had a Kentucky Derby party at our house and my neighbor was over. He is a Bourbon purist and mostly takes his neat.

He went off on another neighbor wanting a Coke to mix with his Blanton's with!

“A COKE!” He said. That’s a $100 a bottle of Bourbon and you want a COKE! To mix with it! WHAT THE H3LL IS WRONG WITH YOU, MAN!!!!

Reactions: tbaydog

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I bought a bottle of the bottle in bond a while back. I like it a lot better than Old Soul’s whiskey that they distill not their sourced stuff. To me the Cut Above is good but it is definitely young and you can taste the grains. I have sampled some of finished stuff but the finishes over powers the whiskey. But I’m not a fan of most finished bourbons with a few exceptions. I do like finished ryes. In my opinion ryes hold up better to other flavors.

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
Several years ago we had a Kentucky Derby party at our house and my neighbor was over. He is a Bourbon purist and mostly takes his neat.

“A COKE!” He said. That’s a $100 a bottle of Bourbon and you want a COKE! To mix with it! WHAT THE H3LL IS WRONG WITH YOU, MAN!!!!
That like putting Heinz Catsup on a USDA Prime Steak.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

In fairness paying $100 for Blanton’s is crazy to me too. Just because John Wick made it popular.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Anyone tried it? Out of Kiln.
I've got the BIB and a single barrel. It definitely punches above its weight(age). The BIB is wheated and really good value considering most craft is overpriced. The single barrel I have is 53 corn / 30 rye / 17 malted barley. It's very good though maybe a touch astringent, which can happen with craft. Mine is 5yr at 112.4 proof.

It's not Kentucky bourbon though, so if you're expecting that, you might be disappointed, especially if you try it after first having a pour of a more traditional bourbon. For context, I like a variety of whisk(e)ys including scotch, so I enjoy something a little different occasionally.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
For context, I like a variety of whisk(e)ys including scotch, so I enjoy something a little different occasionally.
That is me as well. I prefer Scotches but enjoy trying different bourbons, Irish whiskeys, and Japanese whiskeys. There is another Mississippi distillery called Beaver Creek. I haven't heard much about them. They have a tasting room if someone wants to visit:
Beaver Creek Distillery
96B George W. King Rd
BASSFIELD, Mississippi 39421

oompa

Aug 23, 2012
I've gotta ask an obvious question.

I haven't had it, but I'm all for supporting a Mississippi distillery making real hooch with Mississippi folks and mostly Mississippi inputs.

I just have to wonder how a brand new distillery can be producing a product that can compete with Kentucky distilleries that have produced fine bourbons for 75 or 100 years consecutively.

Is it really better than Wild Turkey 101 or Evan Williams BIB or Buffalo Trace.

I have to doubt it. But I will try it at some point.

I'm not saying this is what they're doing, but this is how some new distilleries are selling aged whiskeys:
NPR - Why Your 'Small-Batch' Whiskey Might Taste A Lot Like The Others

edited to add link to story vs just media

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I had it last night. I thought it had some coconut/ banana tones. I wonder if they’re using rum barrels.

It was solid. Good for them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login