A new era is here in high school football…

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
The Jackson area private schools have been in an arms race for the last 20 years.

MRA defeats defending 7A champ Oak Grove 51-17.

There is more D1 talent at Hartfield than Madison Central, Brandon, “Point City”, Columbus, Hattiesburg, or Clinton.

Prep is still Prep, and maybe JA has finally found a football coach.

The best football in the state, bar none, is played in MAIS 6A.

Reactions: eckie1 and patdog

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Not sure Oak Grove is who we thought they were this year. I think Tupelo has at least 6 D1 guys who are Juniors/Seniors.

ETA: Looks like Tupelo has 8 guys with D1 offers—quite stout.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17itdawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’m not all that surprised that MRA won— the margin of victory though…

Oak Grove lost to Hattiesburg last week so I didn’t think they’re as good as they were last year.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I met an Oak Grove cheerleader yesterday while I was at Renaissance with my daughter and asked her if Hattiesburg was that good. She said she didn't know why they lost to them but did mention their quarterback is a sophomore. I think they were probably ranked a little high to start the season.

I thought MRA would give them a game but didn't expect what occurred. I heard MRA had over 300 yards passing in the first half.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m not all that surprised that MRA won— the margin of victory though…

Oak Grove lost to Hattiesburg last week so I didn’t think they’re as good as they were last year.
I think Oak Grove & Brandon are just down this year. But no doubt the Big 3 MAIS schools are good. West jones dominated Prep pretty good last year, but I expect a better game this year.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Two weeks. At Prep. Should be a good one.
Geez. I’d love to see it — got friends with kids and grandkids at both schools — but I’ve committed to see Sturgill Simpson that same night at the Brandon Amphitheater.

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
Yep on Faustdogs take. Oak Grove won 7A last year, and MRA took them overtime. MRA was not even in the MAIS championship game last year. MAIS usually outperforms MHSAA when matched up head-to-head on the field. Small private school Tri County drubbed a decent NE Lauderdale 42-7 this year too. Parklane Academy beat a good Choctaw County 22-21. But it's been like that ever since MAIS started playing public schools. Prep beat Pearl 50- 0 a decade ago and came close to 2014 championship game participant Oxford High School 26-21. Those Oxford teams usually beat West Point by 3 or 4 touchdowns.