Aaron Judge: 9 years 360 million.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So how much of baseball contracts are guaranteed?

Are they really going to be paying Aaron Judge $40M a year as a 39 year old? Are there a lot of players in their late 30s that are still all stars? Maybe their really planning for inflation to take off but that seems like a lot of money for a player in their late 30s.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
So how much of baseball contracts are guaranteed?

Are they really going to be paying Aaron Judge $40M a year as a 39 year old? Are there a lot of players in their late 30s that are still all stars? Maybe their really planning for inflation to take off but that seems like a lot of money for a player in their late 30s.
All of them. Here is an excerpt from and ESPN article on Bobby Bonilla Day

In 2000, the Mets agreed to buy out the remaining $5.9 million on Bonilla's contract.

However, instead of paying Bonilla the $5.9 million at the time, the Mets agreed to make annual payments of nearly $1.2 million for 25 years starting July 1, 2011, including a negotiated 8% interest.

At the time, Mets ownership was invested in a Bernie Madoff account that promised double-digit returns, and the Mets were poised to make a significant profit if the Madoff account delivered -- but that did not work out.

This year, under new owner Steve Cohen, who mentioned the possibility of celebrating Bonilla at Citi Field annually soon after taking over the team in November, the Mets are embracing Bonilla's day.

How rare is this arrangement?

Bonilla last played for the Mets in 1999 and last played in the majors for the Cardinals in 2001, but he will be paid through 2035 (when he'll be 72).

Here are some other notable deferred-money contracts, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information's Ryan Milowicki:

• Bobby Bonilla (again): A second deferred-contract plan with the Mets and Orioles pays him $500,000 a year for 25 years. Those payments began in 2004.

• Bret Saberhagen: Will receive $250,000 a year from the Mets for 25 years (payments also began in 2004; this was the inspiration for Bonilla's deal).

Max Scherzer: Will receive $105 million total from the Nationals that will be paid out through 2028.

• Manny Ramírez: Will collect $24.2 million total from the Red Sox through 2026.

• Ken Griffey Jr.: Will receive $3.59 million from the Reds every year through 2024 as the deferral from his nine-year, $116 million deal signed in 2000.

• Todd Helton: Will get $1.3 million from the Rockies every year through 2023 as the result of $13 million deferred when he signed a two-year extension in 2010.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Stupid money.
No wonder ticket prices are too high, souvenirs are way too high and so are concessions, especially beer at $10-12.00 per depending on which stadium you’re in.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Stupid money.
No wonder ticket prices are too high, souvenirs are way too high and so are concessions, especially beer at $10-12.00 per depending on which stadium you’re in.
I've wonder how much these things bring in VS T.V. money.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Rumor is he turned down $400 / 10 from the Padres. No way I’d pass that up.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
All of them. Here is an excerpt from and ESPN article on Bobby Bonilla Day

In 2000, the Mets agreed to buy out the remaining $5.9 million on Bonilla's contract.

However, instead of paying Bonilla the $5.9 million at the time, the Mets agreed to make annual payments of nearly $1.2 million for 25 years starting July 1, 2011, including a negotiated 8% interest.

At the time, Mets ownership was invested in a Bernie Madoff account that promised double-digit returns, and the Mets were poised to make a significant profit if the Madoff account delivered -- but that did not work out.

This year, under new owner Steve Cohen, who mentioned the possibility of celebrating Bonilla at Citi Field annually soon after taking over the team in November, the Mets are embracing Bonilla's day.

How rare is this arrangement?

Bonilla last played for the Mets in 1999 and last played in the majors for the Cardinals in 2001, but he will be paid through 2035 (when he'll be 72).

Here are some other notable deferred-money contracts, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information's Ryan Milowicki:

• Bobby Bonilla (again): A second deferred-contract plan with the Mets and Orioles pays him $500,000 a year for 25 years. Those payments began in 2004.

• Bret Saberhagen: Will receive $250,000 a year from the Mets for 25 years (payments also began in 2004; this was the inspiration for Bonilla's deal).

Max Scherzer: Will receive $105 million total from the Nationals that will be paid out through 2028.

• Manny Ramírez: Will collect $24.2 million total from the Red Sox through 2026.

• Ken Griffey Jr.: Will receive $3.59 million from the Reds every year through 2024 as the deferral from his nine-year, $116 million deal signed in 2000.

• Todd Helton: Will get $1.3 million from the Rockies every year through 2023 as the result of $13 million deferred when he signed a two-year extension in 2010.
Interesting. Had no idea on the Madoff angle. What a screw job! Also, Mets need to be sure that money guy is long gone. Banking on an investment that had returns that could not be touched by normal investments should have given them pause.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Total panic move by, of course, the Yankees.
The Stankees are very much like Ole Miss in this instance where they "flipped their own recruit". They negotiated against themselves knowing that nobody else in MLB had the capital or the need to pay that much for an outfielder.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
That Padres owner ain't scared at all to throw around stupid money. He made the biggest offer to Trea Turner too. Really surprised he didn't try to outbid for Verlander, who is much less risky and short term.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If you think that's too much money you should see what the owners get yearly

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure how it is playing for the different organizations, but you're in a high tax jurisdiction regardless and a high cost of living area regardless. I think I'd rather spend my time in San Diego than NYC, but either place seems like a good place to be with money. Think the extra year of $40M would have been enough to sway me.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Not sure how it is playing for the different organizations, but you're in a high tax jurisdiction regardless and a high cost of living area regardless. I think I'd rather spend my time in San Diego than NYC, but either place seems like a good place to be with money. Think the extra year of $40M would have been enough to sway me.
Cost of living doesn’t really matter at that income level.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Cost of living doesn’t really matter at that income level.
It doesn't, but it doesn't matter in the same way it doesn't matter whether you make $39M a year or $40M a year. But clearly players care whether they make $39M or $40M a year.

COLA going to be trumped by a lot of other considerations, but if they really are indifferent between different locations, the cost of living (really just the cost of housing) does matter a little. In either San Diego or NYC, you could pretty easily spend $3M to $10M on housing (or more), and it just be somewhere between a nice house or condo in a desirable location to a very niche house or condo in a desirable location. Not sure what $3m to $10M gets you in say Tampa, but I would assume the $3M Tampa house looks closer to the $10M San Diego or NYC house/condo than the $10M Tampa house would. So a smaller consideration than a $1M a year difference in salary and certainly less than typical differences in SALT, but not quite irrelevant.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Stupid money.
Yup. One way or another the money comes from us. Maybe up a convoluted path, but from us.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login