AC temp

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Not sure about that - but I've always kept up with my electric bills. My current house, it costs me $500 - $700 per year to run my AC depending on how hot the weather is. I figure even if I could save $300 per summer by keeping my house warmer, would it be worth it? No thanks

Where do you live?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's kind of tough right now because, here and around Austin, it is over 100 every day. My wife made a great investment last year and bought some blackout curtains that insulate from the heat during the afternoon. They have really made a huge difference in how we were able to set the air conditioner and overall electrical usage. The best thing is, we are no longer having to fight the huge temperature outside. The curtains were not cheap, but they absolutely paid for themselves very quickly.

Reactions: mcdawg22

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
This is the right answer.

A lot of y'all apparently would have simply died in 1920 Mississippi.
Not really. I grew up without central air. We relied on open windows and fans to stay cool. The window unit only ran when temps got over 95. I choose to be comfortable now because I can.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
In Tupelo we didn't have AC in school until high school and even then only part of the building had it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If anyone who keeps their air in the low 70's or lower consistently would be willing to look and post a recent monthly kwh usage for a month, I'd be interested to know.

1000014625.png

See if you can guess why mine is so much higher in the winter. FYI, my heat is hydronic run on propane.. uses virtually no electricity. Notice the previous year was considerably less usage in winter.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
View attachment 629421

See if you can guess why mine is so much higher in the winter. FYI, my heat is hydronic run on propane.. uses virtually no electricity. Notice the previous year was considerably less usage in winter.
You upped your Christmas lights game from the previous year and be damned if you were going to take them down until it was warm enough to do so?

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You upped your Christmas lights game from the previous year and be damned if you were going to take them down until it was warm enough to do so?
Close. Put up 600' of heat cable to keep me from having to shovel the roof every other month.

1000014628.png

Reactions: MSUDOG24

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
In Tupelo we didn't have AC in school until high school and even then only part of the building had it.
Hell the yes to that. Milam high school AC = opening windows and lucky, or tough enough to get a desk in front of a fan.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This is the right answer.

A lot of y'all apparently would have simply died in 1920 Mississippi.
It was not this hot in 1920’s… global warming****

I do think I might have died back then… I think since AC was more widely available, states like Florida have essentially exploded in population.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Remind me what is so ****** about the beach again?

Fail How Are You GIF by Fluffy Friends

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I've noticed over the last 20 years or so that I'm getting more and more like an old person . . . I'm almost always cold.

When I was young, I was always hot-natured. Those days are gone. I'm perfectly comfortable at 78 during the day (my wife and I both work from home) and 75 at night.

Whenever we go out to eat, I take a jacket and a winter hat inside just in case they've got the "arctic blast" AC going on inside the restaurant.

Don't laugh. One day, you'll be old too.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

BluffParkDawg

Aug 22, 2012
72 during the day when everyone at work/school. 68 as soon as everyone gets home and overnight. Ceiling fans in every room. Heat is gas, so Budget billing FTW in the summer.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If anyone who keeps their air in the low 70's or lower consistently would be willing to look and post a recent monthly kwh usage for a month, I'd be interested to know.
72 day and night, my bill for the month of july was just shy of 1900 kwh

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I invested in an ecobee thermostat with a couple of remote sensors about 6 years ago and have been very pleased. Thermostat temp can be subjective based on the house and what part of the house the thermostat is located in.

73 on the living room sensor when we are home during the day and 68 at night on the sensor in the bedroom.
During the winter we run 65 day and night.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
2400. I do have a pool though and that pump goes through a few kWs.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
It's kind of tough right now because, here and around Austin, it is over 100 every day. My wife made a great investment last year and bought some blackout curtains that insulate from the heat during the afternoon. They have really made a huge difference in how we were able to set the air conditioner and overall electrical usage. The best thing is, we are no longer having to fight the huge temperature outside. The curtains were not cheap, but they absolutely paid for themselves very quickly.
IB, can you post a link? We are looking for blackout curtains for west facing sliding glass doors across the front of our lake house. Thanks.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
More power to y'all (much more 🤣😂). No judgement, I'm just a little shocked at these revelations.

I'm pretty sure I have literally never put a thermostat at a temperature below 70 degrees when in cooling mode. I would be cold as ****. I am completely comfortable with it on 77 during the day and night. I honestly don't think 80 would bother me unless I was doing something physical.

You live and learn...

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
More power to y'all (much more 🤣😂). No judgement, I'm just a little shocked at these revelations.

I'm pretty sure I have literally never put a thermostat at a temperature below 70 degrees when in cooling mode. I would be cold as ****. I am completely comfortable with it on 77 during the day and night. I honestly don't think 80 would bother me unless I was doing something physical.

You live and learn...
A lot of people think "bless your heart" is the most subtle Mississippi putdown, but really it's "long as yall happy".*

It surprises me when somebody's house is hot (which to me, is like 75 or above in summer) but it wouldn't cross my mind to suggest telling them what to do in their own home. If it's always hot and gross there, that's a factor in how hard I'm trying to get out of going. I've got in-laws who thought it was ok to adjust my temp controls. That was an opportunity to have a discussion about boundaries.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Damn, hate to see some of your electric bills.
I'm cheap, and I work from home. So, 78 during the day.
76 at night.
Winter, 70 is the max, usually 64-68.
It may have something to do with the style of house and/or where you live. When I lived in Mississippi, I remember the A/C being cranked ALL THE TIME.
As I have migrated northward, I have noticed other regions do not utilize the A/C at the level of the deep south.
My current house is 104 yrs old, and it would be impossible for me to get the A/C down to 69 degrees. It would never turn off.

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
A lot of people think "bless your heart" is the most subtle Mississippi putdown, but really it's "long as yall happy".*

It surprises me when somebody's house is hot (which to me, is like 75 or above in summer) but it wouldn't cross my mind to suggest telling them what to do in their own home. If it's always hot and gross there, that's a factor in how hard I'm trying to get out of going. I've got in-laws who thought it was ok to adjust my temp controls. That was an opportunity to have a discussion about boundaries.
So
Did they straighten you out? 🤣

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

If folks are coming over, I will drop the thermostat down some. Mostly out of respect, but also just because the activity of having guests just makes a house hotter typically.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
It surprises me when somebody's house is hot (which to me, is like 75 or above in summer) but it wouldn't cross my mind to suggest telling them what to do in their own home. If it's always hot and gross there, that's a factor in how hard I'm trying to get out of going.

I address this first, as it seemed obvious to me. Someone keeping their house about 75 doesn't want any guest, or wants to definitely limit how long they'll be there.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I address this first, as it seemed obvious to me. Someone keeping their house about 75 doesn't want any guest, or wants to definitely limit how long they'll be there.

75 is simply not hot. And it's not at all an unusual temperature to leave your thermostat on.

Sorry, had to say it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I happen to agree, but would also say it’s true for anyone keeping it mid/upper 60s or cooler in the summer or lower 60s in winter.

source: used to keep my house at like 62 in winter, and was also something of a hermit.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
75 is simply not hot. And it's not at all an unusual temperature to leave your thermostat on.

Sorry, had to say it.
To me it’s not just that the air is warm when people have their house this warm - it’s that it is often so stuffy. The air just sits there.

And I’m not pointing fingers at anyone in particular here, and have no opinion on whether it’s causation or correlation - but if you go in a house that’s pushing 80 degrees, 9/10 times it smells really weird.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
To me it’s not just that the air is warm when people have their house this warm - it’s that it is often so stuffy. The air just sits there.

And I’m not pointing fingers at anyone in particular here, and have no opinion on whether it’s causation or correlation - but if you go in a house that’s pushing 80 degrees, 9/10 times it smells really weird.

Maybe it's just that it has a smell, because the air conditioner is not constantly moving air around all day and night. 🤣😂

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login