Am I the only one disappointed with Liberty Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Getting Leach vs Tech is a storyline unto itself and you couldn’t have asked for a better matchup.

This will draw eyeballs regardless of the venue.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I prefer it over most of the others just because it’s 30 minutes from my house. Bowl games are all about the same unless it’s the big ones.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
In my mind it's still the worst SEC bowl

Even though it is now a legit matchup with the B12.

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
And that ref at Memphis for not calling the play dead after the punt was touched.

9-3 would have probably had us in the Citrus bowl.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I feel this way as well

Bowl games are all about the same unless it’s the big ones.

Going to Citrus, Outback, Gator, etc playing mid tier Big10 team isn’t anymore exciting than playing TT in Memphis and saves me a lot of money. The matchup will make our game get decent national coverage

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It’s not ideal payout wise but it’s a convenient location for most fans. I’m looking forward to it.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Birmingham is certainly a tier down, but the new stadium over there is nice and they did a good job of developing the area around it.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
We were 6th in the SEC and I thought we would get a better bowl game.
The stadium for Liberty May be in the worst area of all the bowls.

Gotta pay someone to watch over your car during the game. If you can even trust whomever you pay to do so.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I agree with it being an interesting match up and will get lots of attention. Also a team we should be able to beat on a national stage.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
You are not…

We were 6th in the SEC and I thought we would get a better bowl game.

It’s really on us that we played up and down to our competition so much. We were screwed by the refs on two horrific calls that decided 2 games, but they were also games that shouldn’t have been as close as they were.

I may end up taking my son, but I will hate to spend my money in Memphis. It’s probably my least favorite place I’ve been to more than a few times.

RickyWadePhilpotDVM

Aug 24, 2012
The stadium for Liberty May be in the worst area of all the bowls.

Gotta pay someone to watch over your car during the game. If you can even trust whomever you pay to do so.
Oh come on, I lived on New York street, people just park all over Cooper Young for Liberty Bowl. Just don’t leave anything valuable in plain sight and nothing is gonna happen to your car. Which is basically the case in every major city in the country.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I was rooting for a massive confluence of strange events that led State to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl for the same reason.

Outside of that, I am glad it's the Liberty Bowl so most of you other peckerheads can go and give the team a homefield advantage. The most important thing is a P5 opponent and Tech has a good storyline. Should be a good one.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It’s not ideal payout wise but it’s a convenient location for most fans. I’m looking forward to it.

The payout is $4.7 Million and with the cost savings of traveling to Memphis over Florida, we’re better off.

The only ones we were in contention for with a substantially better payout are the Outback and Texas Bowls at $6.4 Million. Every other “group” bowl is in the $4-$5 Million range.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I’m more disappointed with it being Tuesday at 545 than I am the location. At least I can go to this one. I couldn’t make Texas because of the day it was played.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Same here. Requires taking time off for me for a less than exciting mid week lower tier game, 2 days unless I want to drive back after Liberty ends at 9:30.

was21

May 29, 2007
Several plays linger on folks' minds...like three to five, yet in those three games State probably played about 150 or 180 other ones. Never let the officiating crew decide your fate. Be good enough to control your own destiny and don't leave it to them.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
This is the second time this year that State has been screwed over by something involving a game in Memphis. The SEC can tell us all they want that the mid-tier bowls are equal. "Jak" could also pee on my leg and I could be told that it was raining. Both statements would be untrue. The Liberty Bowl is played in the worst stadium of any of the SEC bowl tie-in games in the worst part of any city. The facilities are vintage 1965 and the parking is virtually non-existent. If you are lucky you can find someone with a non-sanctioned parking lot with a few parking places on it and pay them some protection money. If you are really lucky the automobile will still be there after the game unharmed. The bowl pay out money is irrelevant since most of the bowl money goes to the SEC office and is then distributed among the SEC schools. Bowl games were once considered a reward to the players for a successful season. Playing in a stadium they already played in once this season in a dump of a stadium is no reward. It is disheartening to see schools like Florida, Texas, Missouri, LSU, and South Carolina with worse records all be assigned to better bowl games than State. Tennessee with a record equal to us also was placed in a better bowl. Arguably, Auburn is also in a better bowl because the Birmingham Bowl is played in a brand new stadium. The matchup is also less compelling that some seem to believe. Leach hasn't coached at Texas Tech since 2009.

Last edited:

was21

May 29, 2007
and depending on what "side" you're on there's baggage from his TT era, unfortunately, and will probably be exploited by the media. Maybe his pirate quips will quell some of the negatives in some way.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
and depending on what "side" you're on there's baggage from his TT era, unfortunately, and will probably be exploited by the media. Maybe his pirate quips will quell some of the negatives in some way.

One thing is for sure. Leach should be highly motivated to beat them.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Oh come on, I lived on New York street, people just park all over Cooper Young for Liberty Bowl. Just don’t leave anything valuable in plain sight and nothing is gonna happen to your car. Which is basically the case in every major city in the country.

Happening every where. A lot of cars were broken in to just a few blocks from super dome Thursday night. While the game was going on

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Don’t get shot. For Reals, Don’t get shot.

I remember when I was scared of going to Memphis.

It was when I was a small child in Alcorn County and I thought Tupelo was a big city because it had a theatre with more than 2 screens.

Some of us grow and expand at different speeds though and we should all celebrate those differences.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

Memphis isn't a major city.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Eh, I’m fine with it. It’s been 8 years since our last Liberty bowl. And we’ve been to every mid-tier SEC bowl since then, except for Texas (which would have sucked this year with the late date).

Cheap & easy trip.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I remember when I was scared of going to Memphis.

It was when I was a small child in Alcorn County and I thought Tupelo was a big city because it had a theatre with more than 2 screens.

Some of us grow and expand at different speeds though and we should all celebrate those differences.
Memphis is on pace to break last years record of 291 Murders. Memphis was a great place until Herrenton became Mayor in 1991. It went down quickly after that.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Nobody is if they realize our standing in the SEC. If we don’t get NY6 (which we won’t 9 times out of 10), we’ll rotate between Memphis, Jacksonville, Nashville, and Charlotte. Maybe sprinkle Bham in here and there. Citrus and Outback are always going to bend over backwards to not take us. Texas Bowl is going to bend over backwards to take A&M, LSU, and Arkansas in that order (and soon add Texas and Oklahoma). One of those 5 is always going to be available to them.

That being said, we were overdue a trip back to Memphis, especially with the TT matchup as a media draw. Next in the rotation is probably Charlotte again. We will have done the Gator, Liberty, MCB, and Outback since the last time we went to Charlotte in 2015. Look for us to be there if we fall in that 7-5 / 8-4 range again next year. If we get to 9-3 with next year’s schedule, we may be in the mix for NY6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login