Am I the only one disappointed with Liberty Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Since we know with absolution who commits most of the violent crime in Memphis, I am detecting a touch of sublime racism in this thread. The hate is strong with this group.

One of the worst when I lived there was a large white lady. She would watch females and if they lived alone, go knock on their door. They would usually open up because she was female. Then she attacked them, beat them up, tied them up, and robbed them. Happened to a lady that lived near me. Her boyfriend got to looking for her that next day and Shelby County came and ordered the landlord to open up. Luckily they found her that quick.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Since we know with absolution who commits most of the violent crime in Memphis, I am detecting a touch of sublime racism in this thread. The hate is strong with this group.

It’s those little Chinese ladies, isn’t it? Dammit I KNEW it was them!

EdamCheeseDawg

Jan 4, 2020
Was hoping for a different one but I live about an hour from memphis so I can go and come back home without blowing too much money!

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

Do you let your kids play with rattlesnakes and black widows?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
No one has posted anything racist in this thread you wannable woke tool.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Any talks of Memphis building a new stadium anytime soon? Any entity, whether the university, city, etc.? Birmingham doesn't do many things right, but one thing they did do was abandon that terrible concrete hulking mess that is Legion Field, and build a smaller, modern arena/stadium downtown.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Nah, everyone with brains knows that the real racists in this country are white liberals.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This is the second time this year that State has been screwed over by something involving a game in Memphis. The SEC can tell us all they want that the mid-tier bowls are equal. "Jak" could also pee on my leg and I could be told that it was raining. Both statements would be untrue. The Liberty Bowl is played in the worst stadium of any of the SEC bowl tie-in games in the worst part of any city. The facilities are vintage 1965 and the parking is virtually non-existent. If you are lucky you can find someone with a non-sanctioned parking lot with a few parking places on it and pay them some protection money. If you are really lucky the automobile will still be there after the game unharmed. The bowl pay out money is irrelevant since most of the bowl money goes to the SEC office and is then distributed among the SEC schools. Bowl games were once considered a reward to the players for a successful season. Playing in a stadium they already played in once this season in a dump of a stadium is no reward. It is disheartening to see schools like Florida, Texas, Missouri, LSU, and South Carolina with worse records all be assigned to better bowl games than State. Tennessee with a record equal to us also was placed in a better bowl. Arguably, Auburn is also in a better bowl because the Birmingham Bowl is played in a brand new stadium. The matchup is also less compelling that some seem to believe. Leach hasn't coached at Texas Tech since 2009.

You know, love or hate for a city/stadium is always subjective, but it usually helps to be more knowledgeable of the place you criticize, so that the criticisms can be more valid. For example, there are tons of parking around the Liberty Bowl. You don't have to park in someone's yard. Secondly, the Liberty Bowl is not in "the worst part" of Memphis. Relatively speaking, it's in a good location across from CBU and near Overton Park and the campus. Yes, there are rough areas behind the fairgrounds to the south and east, but if you have to rank dangerous areas of the city, that area probably isn't in the top five. The stadium itself, yes, is old. It also has great sightlines and doesn't have a bad seat in the house. My only gripe about it is the way it holds wind, making it colder when the weather is cold.

On tier and prestige, the Liberty Bowl is a better bowl than Music City. But our fans hold Music City in higher esteem just because it's in Nashville. It's stupid.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Sounds like no. But they are supposedly looking at a major renovation in the ~$50-million range.

[FONT=&quot]Walker also emphasized this isn’t about injecting money into the Liberty Bowl that would be used for an on-campus stadium, noting that a conservative estimate for an on-campus stadium at Memphis is “$300 million and 160 acres the university doesn’t have,” in addition to day-to-day operational costs the city currently provides for the Liberty Bowl.[/FONT]

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...mmons-bank-conference-realignment/5991219001/

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009

People complaining about crime in general is not racist, but YOUR statement is.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Sounds like no. But they are supposedly looking at a major renovation in the ~$50-million range.

Walker also emphasized this isn’t about injecting money into the Liberty Bowl that would be used for an on-campus stadium, noting that a conservative estimate for an on-campus stadium at Memphis is “$300 million and 160 acres the university doesn’t have,” in addition to day-to-day operational costs the city currently provides for the Liberty Bowl.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...mmons-bank-conference-realignment/5991219001/
I wouldn't go on-campus if I were them. I'd go downtown if possible. I know the appeal of the on-campus stuff, but they aren't Houston/Cincinnati/UCF, even if they think they are. They have more in common with UAB than those other cities/programs. Houston and Cincinnati have NFL teams/stadiums, and while Orlando doesn't, it's a major city with multiple tenants/uses for their stadium, so it makes sense for those teams to go on-campus.

I wish Mississippi would do something similar downtown and bulldoze the Vet, and possibly compete for a bowl, but I guess the only tenant would be Jackson State. They can't even get baseball or a decent indoor arena, much less another football stadium. Lost cause most likely.

Best chance for luring anything cool, like NCAA games or something, would be the Coast Coliseum.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I wouldn't go on-campus if I were them. I'd go downtown if possible. I know the appeal of the on-campus stuff, but they aren't Houston/Cincinnati/UCF, even if they think they are. They have more in common with UAB than those other cities/programs. Houston and Cincinnati have NFL teams/stadiums, and while Orlando doesn't, it's a major city with multiple tenants/uses for their stadium, so it makes sense for those teams to go on-campus.

I wish Mississippi would do something similar downtown and bulldoze the Vet, and possibly compete for a bowl, but I guess the only tenant would be Jackson State. They can't even get baseball or a decent indoor arena, much less another football stadium. Lost cause most likely.

Best chance for luring anything cool, like NCAA games or something, would be the Coast Coliseum.

Memphis can't go on-campus. They don't have the space. Their options for a new stadium are at the fairgrounds (current location), or out east near Shelby Farms. There's really not a good spot downtown for one, either.

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
The stadium for Liberty May be in the worst area of all the bowls.

Gotta pay someone to watch over your car during the game. If you can even trust whomever you pay to do so.

That is such BS. I lived in Chickasaw Gardens right behind the Liberty Bowl for 6 years and never heard of anyone having any problems other than getting beat by Memphis

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
Memphis isn't a major city.

Memphis is Jackson on steroids but the Liberty Bowl is not located in the worst part of Memphis. Far from it. Some of the wealthiest people in Memphis live right behind the Liberty Bowl and the section many consider to be the bad section has been gentrified at an amazing rate over the past few years and are no longer the crime ridden neighborhoods they once were. To me the biggest threat is those who walk down the train track and are still on it when a train comes over Central Ave. Outside of that I never heard even one person complain about someone breaking into their car. After the game there is Overton Park, Cooper Young among others that are not Beale Street where you can have a great time without worrying about dying. Cooper Young has it's problems with car theft because it's surrounded by spoiled rich millennials who think that's cool

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
People acting like you are gonna get shot walking the game or going out to dinner is crazy to me. It's not an active warzone. Memphis is a fun town. Downtown is even getting a lot better these days. I spent all weekend there and never got shot or stabbed even once.

Memphis has some of the best food and bars of anywhere in the south. It also is the only bowl at this tier that MSU fans will pack out. Our bowl crowds have been bad since 2013. There are enough of us within an hour of Memphis to have a good crowd.

Tsunamis is a great place to get a reservation after the game

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Drebin is right, they have zero room for a campus stadium. They’d be better off putting a bunch of money into the Liberty Bowl than anything else. You’d have to go way out east to build a football stadium.

All the good real estate downtown is taken and what’s left is not a great part of town.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Drebin is right, they have zero room for a campus stadium. They’d be better off putting a bunch of money into the Liberty Bowl than anything else. You’d have to go way out east to build a football stadium.

All the good real estate downtown is taken and what’s left is not a great part of town.
I still can't figure out how Birmingham crammed theirs into such a small area, or how they got the land to begin with. I think it's all owned by the Bham-Jeffco Civic Center Authority or whatever.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Any talks of Memphis building a new stadium anytime soon? Any entity, whether the university, city, etc.? Birmingham doesn't do many things right, but one thing they did do was abandon that terrible concrete hulking mess that is Legion Field, and build a smaller, modern arena/stadium downtown.

Birmingham isn't abandoning Legion Field. Doesn't make sense, but it'll still be used.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Birmingham isn't abandoning Legion Field. Doesn't make sense, but it'll still be used.
Not interested in quibbling over details, bottom line is, resources will now be pushed toward the new place, including the bowl and main tenant. Legion will fall into even more disrepair than it has now.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
That is such BS. I lived in Chickasaw Gardens right behind the Liberty Bowl for 6 years and never heard of anyone having any problems other than getting beat by Memphis

Yeah, some of these people think the fairgrounds area in Memphis is akin to Mogadishu.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Also, I don't think downtown has the infrastructure to support a 50k football stadium. It would be a nightmare trying to get everyone out of the area after a game. It barely has enough to support an 18k basketball arena down there.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"Since we know with absolution who commits most of the violent crime in Memphis" is about as racist a statement as you can make. You should be banned immediately.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Best thing for them to do is bulldoze the Liberty Bowl and the MidSouth Coliseum and build a new stadium. Not agreeing to build a new stadium is part of what kept Memphis from getting an NFL team. There's also a very vocal minority that doesn't want the MidSouth Coliseum torn down because Elvis and the Beatles played there. They want it renovated as a smaller concert venue. They also refuse to recognize that bringing it up to ADA standards and getting rid of the asbestos makes that idea cost prohibitive.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Best thing for them to do is bulldoze the Liberty Bowl and the MidSouth Coliseum and build a new stadium. Not agreeing to build a new stadium is part of what kept Memphis from getting an NFL team. There's also a very vocal minority that doesn't want the MidSouth Coliseum torn down because Elvis and the Beatles played there. They want it renovated as a smaller concert venue. They also refuse to recognize that bringing it up to ADA standards and getting rid of the asbestos makes that idea cost prohibitive.

I agree with you but you touched on the big problem....they could build a new stadium right next to the liberty bowl but it would require razing the coliseum. The city has been trying to demolish it for years but there's too much red tape for the reasons you mention, along with rasslin' history.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
They tore down a bunch of dilapidated housing projects and condemned buildings.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
"Since we know with absolution who commits most of the violent crime in Memphis" is about as racist a statement as you can make. You should be banned immediately.

Nah. I was wondering why everyone thinks Memphis is such a dangerous city? What happened to one of the best cities in the South to make it so dangerous? Are the Baptists and Methodists having gunfights in the streets when to walk out of those Grand Church Buildings downtown?

I travel for work a lot and I have to go into some of these so-called “ bad areas” of Memphis, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette, La. and I haven’t been shot, stabbed, robbed, had rocks thrown at me, my car damaged or my hotel room broken into. So I just wondered out loud why all of these Mississippi State fans feel unsafe in Memphis or parking around the Liberty Bowl stadium? Most of the comments way before I posed my supposition sated just that. So why can’t we have a discussion about how that once great city got that way? Is that discussion taboo? How and why is Jackson, Ms. the way it is now? How and why is the Mississippi Delta the way it is now? Most of Little Rock? Most of Baton Rouge? Large areas of New Orleans? Montgomery, Al? Shreveport, La? I could name many more, but you all know what happened. These cities were abandoned and left to deteriorate by the big businesses and people with expendable cash. Developers looked to the suburbs instead of spending money to revitalized downtown. You say there is no room for a downtown stadium in Memphis? Sure there is. But it will require some major bulldozer work to get rid of all the dilapidation.

Yes, as expected, many of you misread my post to make it sound like YOU wanted it to sound. I wrote it tongue in cheek. Sarcasm without sarcasterisks. I used the word sublime. I don’t think anyone here is racist by the definitive meaning of the word. But that 1500 pound Baby Elephant is sitting out there and until people really, really get ready to have serious discussions on how to fix it and bring back some of these formerly great cities, (like a Greenville, Ms.), it is only going to get worse and people will continue to abandon until they become rat infested, dilapidated piles of steel and rust.

I don’t blame people of color leaving Jackson, Ms., moving out to the suburbs to get their kids in better schools and find safer streets to play on. They want the same thing that we all do. Security, a fair way to make a living, a nice home not surrounded by overgrown falling down houses abandoned years ago and left to the criminals and rats.

But out in the open or subliminal, most of you have an idea of The Who, and for the most part, The Why, heavy violent crime exists in these medium to large cities. But instead of really saying why you don’t feel safe going to the Liberty Bowl and irony of ironies, support the Team that represents our great University. I am sure you all are aware that there are some really rough and dangerous areas of Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, Houston, etc..... Remember how great the area around Fulton County Stadium was 30 years ago? How about now? I’ll close this out by apologizing if I stepped on a few toes and made people ruffle at the thought that their criticism of Memphis might be directed at their Most favored Political Party Mayors who continue to get elected while doing absolutely nothing to help the people they serve or revitalized the Cities they oversee. Memphis was a great city and it can be again. Leadership is required.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
How in Sam Hill do you think this explains your prior post? “The hate is strong with this group”?

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
How in Sam Hill do you think this explains your prior post? “The hate is strong with this group”?

The hate of Memphis by the group. Fighting so hard to hold back their tears I would assume. We older guys remember when going to the Memphis Zoo and to Liberty Land was a big deal.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
So, this group hates Memphis because of sublime racism created by ineffective political leaders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login