Am I the only one disappointed with Liberty Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
The stadium for Liberty May be in the worst area of all the bowls.

Gotta pay someone to watch over your car during the game. If you can even trust whomever you pay to do so.

Mercedes Benz stadium says hold my beer while you get stabbed.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Memphis is on pace to break last years record of 291 Murders. Memphis was a great place until Herrington became Mayor in 1991. It went down quickly after that.

Herrenton hasn't been mayor since 2009. There's been major improvements downtown. There's been 9 or 10 breweries and a distillery added. Crosstown Concourse is a very impressive development. Overton Square is back as an entertainment location. Broad Street has become a thing for "bougie" shops and restaurants. That's all in addition to the usual tourist areas.

Worried about getting shot? Then stay out of the areas you shouldn't be after dark in the first place. Specifically don't go to Orange Mound, South Memphis, Hickory Hill or Frayser after dark...oh, and wait til you get back home to do your drug dealing ....oh, and don't wear your gang colors either.

Finally, most shooting and homicide victims in Memphis have been young, Black, and male. If you don't meet that criteria you should be fine.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
They sent everyone in the lower tier to the closest game.

Liberty Bowl sucks, unless your looking for crack and hoes.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Don’t forget that the Las Vegas Bowl will be in play (it replaces the Mayo Bowl in even years). I’m guessing they will also prefer the bigger name western teams, but I don’t think many of our fans would mind being sent there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
For what he makes he should be highly motivated to beat every team, but watching him on the sideline, not sure he is a highly motivated kind of guy

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Considering we already played in Memphis this year yes. But food is good. It’s closer to home so we can have more fans which Is helpful after an egg bowl loss. It’s an intriguing matchup. It’s not someone we have played in last few seasons. It’s better than getting a g5 team or someone we played recently.
Florida bowls are more fun usually. But liberty bowl usually treats us well.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
That’s the problem it has is past perception. It’s fine now. A good matchup in a city that is close for our fan base.

You can polish a turd all you want, but its still a turd! Schools with worse overall records and worse records in the conference standings were placed in better bowls than us. Claiming that the Liberty Bowl is an equal bowl to some of the other bowls is a farce.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
Worried about getting shot? Then stay out of the areas you shouldn't be after dark in the first place. Specifically don't go to Orange Mound, South Memphis, Hickory Hill or Frayser after dark...oh, and wait til you get back home to do your drug dealing ....oh, and don't wear your gang colors either.

People acting like you are gonna get shot walking the game or going out to dinner is crazy to me. It's not an active warzone. Memphis is a fun town. Downtown is even getting a lot better these days. I spent all weekend there and never got shot or stabbed even once.

Memphis has some of the best food and bars of anywhere in the south. It also is the only bowl at this tier that MSU fans will pack out. Our bowl crowds have been bad since 2013. There are enough of us within an hour of Memphis to have a good crowd.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. We're a Liberty/Music City/Gator/Belk program. And I'm OK with that. Cause we're a lot more likely to move down than up if that changes.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Even though it is now a legit matchup with the B12.

Fan perception is the problem here. Liberty is one of the highest rated bowls every year and it has a better payout than many others. But because our fans have a negative impression of Memphis, they are shitting on it.

We went 7-5 with a loss to Memphis. The liberty bowl is exactly what we deserve.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And it’s a pretty good bowl for us. Convenient for fans, good time slot, and a compelling matchup. I’m looking forward to it. Might even go depending on family Christmas schedule.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
They sent everyone in the lower tier to the closest game.

There are a lot of bowl games closer to College Station than the Gator Bowl. There are also bowl games closer to Columbia, Missouri than the bowl in Ft. Worth.

irondawg007

Jan 23, 2007
1. Our losses were a major reason for this bowl.

2. The Egg Bowl result was the main reason.

3. Fans are optimistic after a strong offensive season and improved team.

4. Fans lost that excitement after a horrific showing in Egg Bowl.

5. Cohen made a great move to cater to Liberty to allow more fans to travel in short distance and have a good fan attendance.

Liberty Bowl was the smartest move for the postseason this year. Had we beaten Memphis, LSU, Arkansas and Ole Miss, the fan base would have gone anywhere to support the team in a NYD bowl or higher.

As a frustrated and disappointed fan, I see the major improvement and light at the end of the tunnel and I’ve already purchased tickets for the Liberty Bowl. Cue broken record… I’m looking forward to next season.

Let’s give Leach a nice showing and payback to Tech.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
There are a lot of bowl games closer to College Station than the Gator Bowl. There are also bowl games closer to Columbia, Missouri than the bowl in Ft. Worth.

Ft. Worth and Gasparilla aren't contracted. Only pay 1mil to 1.25 mil. So of course Missouri got sent there.

Gator and Outback may be classed the same but they pick before the rest.

Everyone else got sent to the closest location. If Memphis and the Liberty Bowl would build something decent downtown, it would be a premier spot. But having lived in Memphis for 7 years a few years ago, it is a ******** and located on the border of orange mound. Only the north side of the stadium is halfway decent.

If you wouldn't take your kids or mother there for any other reason, then it is a **** part of town.

Sep 9, 2012
I’m just failing to understand how the Liberty is any worse/different than our other realistic options (Texas, MCB, etc). We were a 7-5 team and got a 7-5 type of bowl game, which is exactly what we deserved.

Hell, at least this one is within driving distance for most of our fans, and the game is very winnable. The only downside I can see is we already played there this year.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Has the actual Liberty Bowl Stadium improved any in the last decade or so?

To me it’s always just been a big, cold, concrete sombrero where it’s always gray and it always rains. And I might get robbed.

Am I wrong?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis has about 12.5 million visitors a year.

Memphis is on pace to break last years record of 291 Murders. Memphis was a great place until Herrington became Mayor in 1991. It went down quickly after that.

Even if you assume all 291 were visitors (which is a ridiculous assumption), you are sitting at a 0.002% chance of gettin' got. Be aware of your surroundings and have fun. Or don't. I don't care.

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Yes, but still mostly grey cold sombrero

To me it’s always just been a big, cold, concrete sombrero where it’s always gray and it always rains. And I might get robbed.

Am I wrong?

Positives of liberty bowl IMO are great views in most seats and it's pretty easy to snag beer and some decent BBQ.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
I’m just failing to understand how the Liberty is any worse/different than our other realistic options (Texas, MCB, etc).

If you had ever been in any of the stadiums you would understand the difference. The Texas Bowl is played in the home stadium for the Houston Texans. The Music City Bowl is played in the home stadium of the Tennessee Titans. The Gator Bowl is played in the home stadium of the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Outback Bowl is played in the home stadium of the Tampa Bay Bucs. The Duke's Mayo Bowl is played in the home stadium of the Carolina Panthers. All of these games are played in great cities. The Liberty Bowl is played in an old run down stadium built in 1965 that is the home stadium of a American Athletic Conference school in a dangerous city that has been in decline for the past 50 years. Understand the difference now?

Last edited:

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012

Am I wrong?

The irrational fear in this post is strong.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
This year was a good learning experience for MSU Football team and coaching staff. Their Liberty Bowl experience will let them know they have to beat Memphis, LSU, UPig and Ole Miss.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Lived in the Memphis area for 30+ years. The fear is irrational.

Haha. You sound like the same folks that told me belhaven and fondren are safe places for families, right after three families I know were robbed at gunpoint in the past year. And one of them even had shots fired at the dad. The ol George Costanza mantra, “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”

Memphis was just ranked second in the nation as most dangerous city for a reason

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Lived in the Memphis area for 30+ years. The fear is irrational.

Sorry to hear that. I’m there several times a year and I disagree with your opinion on crime in that city, as does every law enforcement organization in America.

The violent crime rate in Memphis is higher than that of Chicago, Detroit, NY, Cleveland, and even Gary, Indiana.

In fact, the violent crime rate in Downtown Memphis is 349% higher than the national average. Midtown isn’t much better at 305% higher than national averages.

You live in one of the most dangerous cities in the nation, friend. It has some very nice areas and very nice places to live but any travelers and tourists coming to visit should be aware of their surroundings at the very least.

https://www.areavibes.com/memphis-tn/most-dangerous-neighborhoods/

Hypnodawg

Mar 14, 2013
This bowl is the only one to which we would not will not go. Absolutely hate the stadium, crime, bad hotel experiences, and weather. I'll be watching on TV.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I would go but the location of the stadium and "perception of crime", to use a Jackson mayor favorite saying, of surrounding area make it a no for me.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Been to the Liberty Bowl several times

I would go but the location of the stadium and "perception of crime", to use a Jackson mayor favorite saying, of surrounding area make it a no for me.

Have never had an incident and don't expect to have one this year if we go. Still undecided.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
The stadium for Liberty May be in the worst area of all the bowls.

Gotta pay someone to watch over your car during the game. If you can even trust whomever you pay to do so.

Did you go to any of the gator bowls? If you didn't buy a parking pass and had to park on the north side of that stadium - god help you. That was worse than anywhere you'll have to park for the liberty bowl. But you could tell that was big business for those folks, guess they get plenty of practice with the Jaguar games.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Sorry to hear that. I’m there several times a year and I disagree with your opinion on crime in that city, as does every law enforcement organization in America.

The violent crime rate in Memphis is higher than that of Chicago, Detroit, NY, Cleveland, and even Gary, Indiana.

In fact, the violent crime rate in Downtown Memphis is 349% higher than the national average. Midtown isn’t much better at 305% higher than national averages.

You live in one of the most dangerous cities in the nation, friend. It has some very nice areas and very nice places to live but any travelers and tourists coming to visit should be aware of their surroundings at the very least.

https://www.areavibes.com/memphis-tn/most-dangerous-neighborhoods/

It is all about where you go. We were downtown friday night, with a ton of [people out and I never once felt any danger. Are there bad areas? sure, but the majority fo the city is fine. You just have to be smart like you would in any other large city

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
It is all about where you go. We were downtown friday night, with a ton of [people out and I never once felt any danger. Are there bad areas? sure, but the majority fo the city is fine. You just have to be smart like you would in any other large city

Asking some of these people to be smart is a tall task.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Since we know with absolution who commits most of the violent crime in Memphis, I am detecting a touch of sublime racism in this thread. The hate is strong with this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login