And……..scene

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
It truly was a great run. Many great universities have been unable to do to it in the modern age. OM hasn't done anything like it since integration

Reactions: Darryl Steight

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
So what I'm seeing here is that your football program hasn't been relevant in .... 50 years.
Your comment is very descriptive for many, many OM seasons over the past 50 years.
Presently we are relearning what it takes to win. Two access bowls in the last three years is a start...now we want more.
Hope we both make the playoffs in the coming years.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Perhaps you could expand your vocabulary...ever considered reading a book? Begin with something introductory such as "Goodnight Moon" as the images will assist your understanding of the dialogue.

PS. When you abandon the trailer park talk my retorts will end.
I’m sure you are the trailer park

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Your comment is very descriptive for many, many OM seasons over the past 50 years.
Presently we are relearning what it takes to win. Two access bowls in the last three years is a start...now we want more.
Hope we both make the playoffs in the coming years.
And with this new success you are on a Mississippi state board when no one said a word about ole Miss

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
For educational purposes only.

OM played in 15 straight bowl games beginning in 1957. There were no freebies in those day so 3-7, and 5-7 and you bowl in your bathroom. Among those 15 consecutive bowls are six (6) trips to the Sugar Bowl (played in New Orleans for those who are unaware) a couple of Cotton and Gator Bowls and a Peach bowl. OM's streak occurred in an era when there were TEN (10)--that's right TEN--total bowl games. OM did not get invited to a bowl game in 1956 despite a winning record of 7-3 (4-2 SEC.). The two prior years '54, '55 we played in the Cotton and Sugar Bowls--so but for the 7-3 season in '56 the streak would have been 18. You might want to reflect on this data as you assess the historical nature of your so-called "bowl streak" which includes two losing teams.
Nobody gaf

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
How many times in our history have we ended the season ranked 12 or higher? How about in recent history (say 1990 to present)? A goal of making the playoffs once every 3-4 years isn’t reasonable. Once a decade would be a challenge.

If 9 years ago if there was a 12-team playoff and not a four-team playoff Miss State would have been in the playoff. I said every 10 years or so. The polls are no longer voted on by 1000 sports writers at the AP. It is done by a small group of people. Pull you head out of your *** and understand things have changed. Ole Miss would have made it two of the past five seasons if there was a 12-team playoff. If those cock sucking scum can do, then Miss State can do it. You are new so I figure there's a good chance you are a bear troll.

Last edited:

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
MS making the playoffs once a decade is guaranteed if one looks solely towards the past record. the question becomes does that past record strongly correlate to the circumstances existing in the game from '24 forward...lots of changes going on. GA, AL, LSU, OK, and TX will expect to regularly appear in the top 12--not saying they all will but that will be a baseline for these teams. TN, AU, and OM have legitimate aspirations of finishing top 12 every 2-3 years, FL will be back at some point as will TAMU....how many SEC teams are allowed in and what SEC record will make the cut? i'm guessing most years a team with more than two losses is out--this is going to be absolutely brutal format and the competition within the conference is going to be more fierce than ever.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
MS making the playoffs once a decade is guaranteed if one looks solely towards the past record. the question becomes does that past record strongly correlate to the circumstances existing in the game from '24 forward...lots of changes going on. GA, AL, LSU, OK, and TX will expect to regularly appear in the top 12--not saying they all will but that will be a baseline for these teams. TN, AU, and OM have legitimate aspirations of finishing top 12 every 2-3 years, FL will be back at some point as will TAMU....how many SEC teams are allowed in and what SEC record will make the cut? i'm guessing most years a team with more than two losses is out--this is going to be absolutely brutal format and the competition within the conference is going to be more fierce than ever.

22? Is that you?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Congratulations @dogeater for your team being so successful while black males were unable to play college football. I am shocked a school that embraced racism was so successful recruiting the white athlete in the 50's and 60's in Mississippi. Also congrats for never playing Alabama.

Again - if our bowl streak was so easy - why didn't the other schools do it as well? I don't give a **** if we went at 1-11- the streak still happened.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
What is "MS"? MS is the abbreviation for "Mississippi", yet it seems as if you are trying really hard to disparage Mississippi State University in all your posts. I get that you have nothing better to do than hang out on a State message board, but come on - at least try to get the name right, ********.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You're correct about the bold sentence above - but that also applies to Ole Miss. To expect a 10-2 season 2 out of 3 years going forward isn't realistic, for the reasons you list. Louisville and Georgia Tech become an additional SEC opponent most likely, in the near future, and hopefully they get rid of the P5 OOC mandate, but they may not.

I respect what Lane has done, and the OM alumni certainly appear to want to do whatever necessary, much more than MSU. But I would not expect the playoff every 2-3 years. Maybe every 5 years. That's why I've been telling people here, screw a bowl, pick a single year to build up to, and give yourself a chance to make the playoff and be visible.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Congratulations @dogeater for your team being so successful while black males were unable to play college football. I am shocked a school that embraced racism was so successful recruiting the white athlete in the 50's and 60's in Mississippi. Also congrats for never playing Alabama.

Again - if our bowl streak was so easy - why didn't the other schools do it as well? I don't give a **** if we went at 1-11- the streak still happened.
It’s time.
Black And White Dancing GIF by Fleischer Studios

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

OM played in 15 straight bowl games beginning in 1957. There were no freebies in those day so 3-7, and 5-7 and you bowl in your bathroom. Among those 15 consecutive bowls are six (6) trips to the Sugar Bowl (played in New Orleans for those who are unaware) a couple of Cotton and Gator Bowls and a Peach bowl. OM's streak occurred in an era when there were TEN (10)--that's right TEN--total bowl games. OM did not get invited to a bowl game in 1956 despite a winning record of 7-3 (4-2 SEC.). The two prior years '54, '55 we played in the Cotton and Sugar Bowls--so but for the 7-3 season in '56 the streak would have been 18. You might want to reflect on this data as you assess the historical nature of your so-called "bowl streak" which includes two losing teams.
Ole Miss's streak occurred when black players were not allowed to play in Mississippi and nearly all of the south. There is absolutely nothing relevant about it in the modern era.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Are there any color pictures of any of that or only black and white because that was a reeeeeealy long time ago?

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010

I'll be a sport and provide photo evidence to support @dogeater 's sugar bowl claim.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
James Meredith was forceably admitted into OM in 1962. OM, Ross Barnett and the IHL deserve all the credit for oppossing his admission, the ensuing riots and all that followed. It took OM decades to overcome that nightmare but the healing began in earnest in 1976 when the student body elected Ben Williams, OM's first black football player, as Col. Reb. That healing is still ongoing but a recent strong sign of the rejection of racism was evident when the entire squads of OM and MS football teams marched for a new state flag and HCs Leach and Kiffin (two new residents of the state) along with SEC Commissioner Sankey stood against a state flag with confederate symbols. Kylin Hill from MS played a critical role in this effort by announcing he would not play for MS if the flag was not changed--a really courageous move on his part.

Meanwhile, back to the facts, MS admitted its first Black student in 1965, three years after Meredith's admission. Southern Miss and Milsaps admitted their first black students the same year, 1965. Belhaven admitted its first black student in the early 70s. So these campuses were lily white for three years (or more) after Meredith's forced admission--was that just an incredible accident or was that by design--we all know the correct answer. An example was made at OM for good reason--OM racism was overt--but the racial barrier at MS and other colleges in Mississippi was identical but less overt. The shame of this hatred does not reside within any one segment or any one university in our state--though OM has deservedly paid the greatest price--this hatred and ignorance was perpetuated, with few exceptions, by white Mississippians and our government, churches and nearly all of our institutions across the board. One can only hope that we continue to make progress with race relations in the future.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Until our NIL/game attendance is like the blue bloods, trying to just be good all the time is a futile effort, like most of our history.

Again, anybody trying to do or think differently at MSU is vilified by people like you.

What did the last bowl streak net us? We are in the same place we were in 2010 within the SEC, ain’t a damn thing changed.

And what do you remember? That’s right, 2014.
I can tell you now it looks a whole lot different at Davis Wade than it did in 2010. Our stadium is nice and the game experience is better. Now that they are cleaning up the tailgate situation it will be even better.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
An example was made at OM for good reason--OM racism was overt--but the racial barrier at MS and other colleges in Mississippi was identical but less overt. The shame of this hatred does not reside within any one segment or any one university in our state--though OM has deservedly paid the greatest price--this hatred and ignorance was perpetuated, with few exceptions, by white Mississippians and our government, churches and nearly all of our institutions across the board.
It's funny, but I don't remember any of the other schools waving confederate flags into the 2000's, having a confederate colonel as their mascot in 2003, or their band playing Dixie until 2009. You still had people in 2020 running a campaign to end the flag ban. GTFO here and don't try to lump all Mississippians in with your school's racist BS.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I can tell you now it looks a whole lot different at Davis Wade than it did in 2010. Our stadium is nice and the game experience is better. Now that they are cleaning up the tailgate situation it will be even better.
Most everybody in the SEC has upgraded their stadiums in some way. We are still in about the same place we were. That's my point, we are simply 'keeping up' in all these categories, not pulling ahead.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
Darryl on what level is your reading comprehension? Are you asserting that State was not part of the legacy of racism in Mississippi?

I do recognize that OM holding onto these symbols of racism into the 21st century is both embarrassing and humiliating...

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Are you asserting that State was not part of the legacy of racism in Mississippi?
Perhaps it was, but we did do the Loyola thing in 1963. For once, perception is on our side, and we are not known as the racist major university in MS.

You're probably gonna lose this battle, dude. Might be time to do the famed Homer exit:

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
James Meredith was forceably admitted into OM in 1962. OM, Ross Barnett and the IHL deserve all the credit for oppossing his admission, the ensuing riots and all that followed. It took OM decades to overcome that nightmare but the healing began in earnest in 1976 when the student body elected Ben Williams, OM's first black football player, as Col. Reb. That healing is still ongoing but a recent strong sign of the rejection of racism was evident when the entire squads of OM and MS football teams marched for a new state flag and HCs Leach and Kiffin (two new residents of the state) along with SEC Commissioner Sankey stood against a state flag with confederate symbols. Kylin Hill from MS played a critical role in this effort by announcing he would not play for MS if the flag was not changed--a really courageous move on his part.

Meanwhile, back to the facts, MS admitted its first Black student in 1965, three years after Meredith's admission. Southern Miss and Milsaps admitted their first black students the same year, 1965. Belhaven admitted its first black student in the early 70s. So these campuses were lily white for three years (or more) after Meredith's forced admission--was that just an incredible accident or was that by design--we all know the correct answer. An example was made at OM for good reason--OM racism was overt--but the racial barrier at MS and other colleges in Mississippi was identical but less overt. The shame of this hatred does not reside within any one segment or any one university in our state--though OM has deservedly paid the greatest price--this hatred and ignorance was perpetuated, with few exceptions, by white Mississippians and our government, churches and nearly all of our institutions across the board. One can only hope that we continue to make progress with race relations in the future.

Hold up . . . the bolded, underlined parts of your post are your opinions, not facts.

Concerning James Meredith's admission to Ole Miss, I would suppose that Meredith was "admitted" on the same day he enrolled - October 1, 1962 - which was shortly after the riots on campus were subdued. Dr. Richard Holmes, the first black student at Mississippi State, was admitted on July 19, 1965. Thus, Holmes was admitted to Mississippi State two years, nine months and eighteen days after Meredith was admitted to Ole Miss . . . not three years (or more) like you said.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Darryl on what level is your reading comprehension? Are you asserting that State was not part of the legacy of racism in Mississippi?

You're changing the subject.

Darryl specifically said: 1) "I don't remember any of the other schools waving confederate flags into the 2000's;" 2) "[I don't remember any of the other schools] having a confederate colonel as their mascot in 2003;" and 3) "[I don't remember any of the other schools] band playing Dixie until 2009."

Your reply to Darryl doesn't address any of those things. Instead, you ask a very broad, non-specific question.

Are you alleging that Mississippi State is a "part of the legacy of racism in Mississippi?" If so, then please be more specific with your allegations. Please tell us specifically how Mississippi State has been racist.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010

I do recognize that OM holding onto these symbols of racism into the 21st century is both embarrassing and humiliating...
what did you score on the english section of the ACT?

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
don't recall my individual ACT scores think my composite was 28--no prep in those days. was in upper 10% on LSAT.
if you questioning my reasoning be specific.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
You're changing the subject.

Darryl specifically said: 1) "I don't remember any of the other schools waving confederate flags into the 2000's;" 2) "[I don't remember any of the other schools] having a confederate colonel as their mascot in 2003;" and 3) "[I don't remember any of the other schools] band playing Dixie until 2009."

Your reply to Darryl doesn't address any of those things. Instead, you ask a very broad, non-specific question.

Are you alleging that Mississippi State is a "part of the legacy of racism in Mississippi?" If so, then please be more specific with your allegations. Please tell us specifically how Mississippi State has been racist.
I find your post incredible when you know that the first black student was admitted in 1965. of course state was part of the racist culture that was pervasive throughout mississpp--there is no denying that. the entire structure of the state of mississippi including higher ed was deeply involved in racism.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
don't recall my individual ACT scores think my composite was 28--no prep in those days. was in upper 10% on LSAT.
if you questioning my reasoning be specific.
well maybe you're not a complete dubmass. how are you at history though? who was your favorite british prime minister from the 1980's?

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
what do you know about quantum field theory, or the underlying reasons the Germans surrendered in WW1?
what is your point...if you object to my reasoning or claims made be specific.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
what do you know about quantum field theory, or the underlying reasons the Germans surrendered in WW1?
what is your point...if you object to my reasoning or claims made be specific.
i was specifically asking you about a piece of history trivia. guess that's not your strong suit.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

When Ole Miss drops "Ole Miss" and "Rebels" from their athletic teams - then come talk to us. Until then, your athletic symbols still are a horrible representation for the state of Mississippi. Always will be until a change is made.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

You guys were still flying that flag in THIS century fella. Don’t play dumb.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Most everybody in the SEC has upgraded their stadiums in some way. We are still in about the same place we were. That's my point, we are simply 'keeping up' in all these categories, not pulling ahead.
I think we are and have been ahead of Arkansas for most of that stint. I’m not sure what extra level you think we will achieve without cold hard cash. There is no magic formula, system, or scheme. Buy decent players and have consistent leadership. Arnette was a colossal mistake and not one we can afford to make again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login