And……..scene

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think we are and have been ahead of Arkansas for most of that stint. I’m not sure what extra level you think we will achieve without cold hard cash. There is no magic formula, system, or scheme. Buy decent players and have consistent leadership. Arnette was a colossal mistake and not one we can afford to make again.
Man, this is my biggest pet peeve. So many of you argue with me and say things are so great, and when I compare it to our peers and you realize that we are behind, you say ‘well nothing we can do’. Well damn that’s exactly why we have to think differently.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
James Meredith was forceably admitted into OM in 1962. OM, Ross Barnett and the IHL deserve all the credit for oppossing his admission, the ensuing riots and all that followed. It took OM decades to overcome that nightmare but the healing began in earnest in 1976 when the student body elected Ben Williams, OM's first black football player, as Col. Reb. That healing is still ongoing but a recent strong sign of the rejection of racism was evident when the entire squads of OM and MS football teams marched for a new state flag and HCs Leach and Kiffin (two new residents of the state) along with SEC Commissioner Sankey stood against a state flag with confederate symbols. Kylin Hill from MS played a critical role in this effort by announcing he would not play for MS if the flag was not changed--a really courageous move on his part.

Meanwhile, back to the facts, MS admitted its first Black student in 1965, three years after Meredith's admission. Southern Miss and Milsaps admitted their first black students the same year, 1965. Belhaven admitted its first black student in the early 70s. So these campuses were lily white for three years (or more) after Meredith's forced admission--was that just an incredible accident or was that by design--we all know the correct answer. An example was made at OM for good reason--OM racism was overt--but the racial barrier at MS and other colleges in Mississippi was identical but less overt. The shame of this hatred does not reside within any one segment or any one university in our state--though OM has deservedly paid the greatest price--this hatred and ignorance was perpetuated, with few exceptions, by white Mississippians and our government, churches and nearly all of our institutions across the board. One can only hope that we continue to make progress with race relations in the future.
A Confederate Rebel lecturing MSU folks about racism......ok.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's funny, but I don't remember any of the other schools waving confederate flags into the 2000's, having a confederate colonel as their mascot in 2003, or their band playing Dixie until 2009. You still had people in 2020 running a campaign to end the flag ban. GTFO here and don't try to lump all Mississippians in with your school's racist BS.
And they still use the name the slaves used for the plantation owners wife as the name of their school.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Man, this is my biggest pet peeve. So many of you argue with me and say things are so great, and when I compare it to our peers and you realize that we are behind, you say ‘well nothing we can do’. Well damn that’s exactly why we have to think differently.
What do you mean when you say “think differently”? Think we can win? Yeah we already know we can win. What I’m tired of is the empty hand waving statements that we need to”think outside the box” and “be different”. Bro this is football, it ain’t magic. What box do you think we are in? For every team, players have to run, throw, catch, block, and tackle. Sometimes kick too. You have to have a staff that can identify players who they believe can be coached to do those things consistently and with great effort. There isn’t a magic system that hides when players can’t do those things well. Mullen’s teams were better when they had more talent to execute what he was trying to do. It will be the same for every other coach that ever dons maroon and white. If our players suck, our teams will suck. If our coaches suck, our players will suck.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Didn’t OM host a clan rally a few years back?
Pretty sure they also had riots the night Obama won his second term. Oh yeah, also issues with people hanging nooses on the statue of James Meridith on campus.

bUt AlL tHoSe RaCiSmS aRe In TeH pAsT, yOu GuYs!!!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login