And there it is!

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t hate it, but I wish we’d pick a damn logo and stick with it. In the span of one year, we’ll have gone from the banner M, to &tate and now to the old Nike logo.

We do have a logo and as &elmon said MState is the primary logo. For example, Softball built a new building and MSTATE is on the front door and throughout the building.

Again I firmly believe all these throwbacks and etc are just for purposes of selling merchandise. However &elmon may have to spell it out again for some.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
That word makes even worse than you say. Not even an overall championship.
But... I had fun in a "close" loss at the GA Dome that year. I forgot for second that night, Ok State and LSU throttled us that year. And Bama was lifeless.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I like it for one game. But glad it's not staying.

We had our chance to make that permanent, but the end of the Kang's tenure just obliterated that possibility. Remember, this time period gave rise to the Croom Error.
This time period also gave us our only division title and it was longer than just sherrill msu on helmets was before him. I think a majority of our fan base loves these. I've seen a huge plus from fans over this release today. Never should have gone to anything else. It eas crooms fault and templetons fault we left it. We have been in logo and uniform limbo for football ever since.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We do have a logo and as &elmon said MState is the primary logo. For example, Softball built a new building and MSTATE is on the front door and throughout the building.

Again I firmly believe all these throwbacks and etc are just for purposes of selling merchandise. However &elmon may have to spell it out again for some.
If he sees the fanbase reaction it may be permanent. Fans have been ask for this for 20 years.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Am I the only one that prefers the 80's interlocking logo over the 90's one?
No, you're not. I think it looks more like a classic 'football logo'. That being said, the "U" in the 90's one looks a lot more like a "U" than a "J".

1692121232267.png

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This time period also gave us our only division title and it was longer than just sherrill msu on helmets was before him. I think a majority of our fan base loves these. I've seen a huge plus from fans over this release today. Never should have gone to anything else. It eas crooms fault and templetons fault we left it. We have been in logo and uniform limbo for football ever since.
Incorrect. We've been in helmet lingo throughout our history. We've had M-State for 20 years now, probably the longest running of all of them, except for maybe the buddy helmets in the old days.

And a significant of our fanbase does NOT want the interlock to come back at all. Yes it was a great time in our history, but it also gave way to one of the darkest times in our history.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Exactly. We'll have a different throwback next year, and a different one the year after that, and so on. At some point, we'll even have a throwback banner M-State helmet and uniform.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Incorrect. We've been in helmet lingo throughout our history. We've had M-State for 20 years now, probably the longest running of all of them, except for maybe the buddy helmets in the old days.

And a significant of our fanbase does NOT want the interlock to come back at all. Yes it was a great time in our history, but it also gave way to one of the darkest times in our history.
HailStateUnis.com has a good timeline.

The most consistency we had was from 1979-2002, but only in the fact that we had some version of cascading 'MSU' on the helmet. Even then, there are about 3-4 distinct versions of that logo.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I think the perfect uniforms would be the new ones they released a few weeks ago with this helmet instead, and then move the &tate logo to the chest.

Aug 15, 2011
No, you're not. I think it looks more like a classic 'football logo'. That being said, the "U" in the 90's one looks a lot more like a "U" than a "J".

View attachment 385580
The 86 logo is my favorite of the two. It reminds me of going to State games as a kid. Granted, there were about 20k in the stands due it being Rocky's tenure. I remember Tulane whooping us in 87, and the 88 Tech and Ten, but the early Jackie years made up for it!

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Okay, then why are we taking our primary logo off our helmets for an entire year? That makes no sense…. A game or two to sell merch, sure.

Lemme know if he ever “spells it out” again.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Okay, then why are we taking our primary logo off our helmets for an entire year? That makes no sense…. A game or two to sell merch, sure.

Lemme know if he ever “spells it out” again.
You don't have to put your primary logo on your helmet. Nothing wrong with switching that up.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
you laugh now but I will be the one laughing in Atlanta in December

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Michigan St. has also used this alternate helmet recently. Look familiar?
View attachment 385703

I tried to find out where that one came from and there's not a lot of information on it, but I found this:

The script “State” logo is, of course, right from the Magic Johnson era of MSU basketball and became iconic in the 1979 NCAA tournament. My guess is that Jud Heathcoat hired an embroiderer to do up a “State” logo for the boys uniforms and that was about all of the creative direction that was involved. From a design standpoint, it’s pretty rough. But it’s classic because of that championship season so it deserves to poke it’s head up every once in a while as a throw-back just like in 2013/2014. And I must add that I do like referring to Michigan State as simply “State”, but it really only works inside the state of Michigan. Here in NC, “State” is NC State.

Michigan State had another quasi-script style that I think is better and has the underline:
1692134462663.png

But yeah, either way, the Mississippi State version is better:
1692134404685.png

Reactions: patdog and eckie1

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
First of all, don’t think that’s true. Second, Michigan State doesn’t even put MSU on their helmets. They use the spartan logo.
I dunno... if I type 'msu' or 'msu logo' into, say, Google Image Search, it's like 95% Michigan State results.

Reactions: mcdawg22

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

So is State script. We're moving away from the banner M. It won't disappear, but it's going to slowly fade from athletics.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
For an entire year?
I personally don't care if we change every game like Oregon, so we differ on that. But I understand your concern. There are rumblings that we want the script State to be permanent on the helmet. So yeah, guess so, longer than a year.

And my earlier point was that your official logo doesn't have to be your helmet logo. LSU's is different, Alabama has a number, etc. I don't even know that the script Ole Miss is their official logo. And think about this.....the M over S baseball logo is iconic, but it's not our official logo in any way, shape or form. So why can't script State be the same for football?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
p
I personally don't care if we change every game like Oregon, so we differ on that. But I understand your concern. There are rumblings that we want the script State to be permanent on the helmet. So yeah, guess so, longer than a year....may be permanent.

And my earlier point was that your official logo doesn't have to be your helmet logo. LSU's is different, Alabama has a number, etc. I don't even know that the script Ole Miss is their official logo. And think about this.....the M over S baseball logo is iconic, but it's not our official logo in any way, shape or form. So why can't script State be the same for football?
I hear ya…. I’m mainly talking about switching our football helmets up so often. Most SEC teams never do anything more than a slight variation from time to time. I wasn’t really thinking we needed to use the same logo all sports. I just want us to pick a football logo and stay with it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So is State script. We're moving away from the banner M. It won't disappear, but it's going to slowly fade from athletics.
Why did they install the "banner M" on a new athletics building?

It isn't.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Why did they install the "banner M" on a new athletics building?

It isn't.
Because it's not eliminated. It's just not going to be the primary logo for athletics. It's the primary logo of the school. We can't eliminate it. It's going to be on school stuff. Some athletic stuff. But Script is making the move. It's on all uniforms now and will grow.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I dunno... if I type 'msu' or 'msu logo' into, say, Google Image Search, it's like 95% Michigan State results.

Well yeah, that’s what happens when your athletic department decides you are either M-State or Hail State for 20 years.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login