Any advice on dealing with OM relatives during the game?

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Specifically a father-in-law? That's why I hate the game is played on Thanksgiving Day, especially if we lose. I just try to keep my mouth closed over the years.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Looney Tunes Goodbye GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem
Go Away Reaction GIF by Travis

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I’m doing it for the first time this year. It’s my sister in law and shes the type that won’t watch most games but then when she does she “loves her Rebs” and loves to talk smack and cheers loud. My wife’s family is thinking of giving me my own personal set up so I can watch it by myself and they can all watch it in another room. My wife is not happy about it because she says I have a problem that they are having to cater to me but this is probably the best for all parties

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
my wife is a reb. mother-in-law and brother-in-law too. i ignore them during the game. unless we're beating that a$$. My family on my side is all maroon. Dad, Mom, myself, brother, sister-in-law (teaches at State) all graduated from State.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Specifically a father-in-law? That's why I hate the game is played on Thanksgiving Day, especially if we lose. I just try to keep my mouth closed over the years.
My inlaws love their team and recognize that I love mine, and we are both capable of being happy that the other's team did something good while not necessarily being happy that the rival school did the same.

That's the trick.

But, in your situation I would just find somewhere else to watch the game.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I’m doing it for the first time this year. It’s my sister in law and shes the type that won’t watch most games but then when she does she “loves her Rebs” and loves to talk smack and cheers loud. My wife’s family is thinking of giving me my own personal set up so I can watch it by myself and they can all watch it in another room. My wife is not happy about it because she says I have a problem that they are having to cater to me but this is probably the best for all parties
Nope. You are a person just like them and deserve to be happy.

My wife (OM grad) bought us 7 tickets together in OM section. I told her I wasn't sitting in the OM section. I'm finding empties in the State section to sit.

I won't yield from that either. Especially after I just listened to them whine and cry the full Arkansas game about officials.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
You jump up and clap when MSU does well. They jump up and clap when OM does well. You cuss when MSU does bad. They cuss when OM does bad. You both complain about the refs and announcers.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
You have two choices. You can embrace this as just a football game and take the good with the bad, laugh off any ribbing/smack talk, be magnanimous win or lose and watch the game with your family. Or you treat it like life and death are on the line and watch it by yourself or with just state fans.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Be the alpha (if FIL is loaded, you may want to reconsider), never in my life has a UM fan said anything derogatory about MSU to me. Too many of our fans are betas and take it. Always be condescending, "you got a nice little program over there," "you try so hard," "that powder blue is so manly," if it gets heated, end it with, "you don't want any of this smoke, old man." Again, if FIL is loaded, give that weight in the decision. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I've never had to worry about inheriting anything from mine or the old lady's family.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Prison yard rules...

find the biggest one and 17 them up in front of the rest of them, do the Metcalf/Moore hind-leg over them, then casually walk over to your spot on the couch and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

alternatively, there’s always the Gravy song by John Zacherle.

ClintonInHelen

Feb 25, 2008
I’d hit it…

Reactions: HammerOfTheDogs
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login