Any thoughts about this new Belhaven tax?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Some say it will give the city an excuse not to give them any money, but they weren't going to do that anyway.

I also noticed the Museum bike trail has opened. Belhaven/Fondren has a chance to become really cool. But I can't help but wonder when the first jacking will occur on that. Two JA students got jacked the other night in the presbyterian church parking lot on Ridgewood Road.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
If they use the money to build something...

akin to the Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie, it might help. Otherwise, they are just pissing into the wind.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
akin to the Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie, it might help. Otherwise, they are just pissing into the wind.
You live in Natchez? I was there a few weeks ago and I think it's on the come-up. Saw Patti Labelle making a movie. Not saying downtown was bustling or anything (was a Sunday afternoon) but there was foot traffic, from a lot of different places.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

That's a little pessimistic.

They could also use it to build an arsenal and/or hire mercenaries and engage in an armed war for independence from the City of Jackson and Hinds County. And there are maybe some other, non-obvious options too.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
If all the surrounding communities keep voting to NOT allow medicinal marijuana sales, then Jackson is probably going to make a **** load of money selling weed legally for a change.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006

A friend of mine lives in a downtown neighborhood here in Meridian and said that his neighborhood was considering organizing a "self taxing district" (for lack of a better term), and that the real bang for your buck with these arrangements is spending money on 24/7 security that patrols solely within the neighborhood.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
A friend of mine lives in a downtown neighborhood here in Meridian and said that his neighborhood was considering organizing a "self taxing district" (for lack of a better term), and that the real bang for your buck with these arrangements is spending money on 24/7 security that patrols solely within the neighborhood.
That's probably the goal. And maybe a few minor road repairs and/or some landscaping/beautification.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
They've been doing that for years in Eastover and Country Club and they eventually went gated. Those guys don't care about security guards

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Soooooo spending money on things their tax dollars should already be doing? Hmmmm

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They've been doing that for years in Eastover and Country Club and they eventually went gated. Those guys don't care about security guards

That's kind of what I was thinking. Not sure a rent-a-cop is going to deter the worst of it. Plus, as long as Jackson does catch and release, I'm not sure how much it will stop the petty crime either.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login