Are we trash again?

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
We keep hearing from our own how hard it is to win on the road in the conference, so interpret that however you see fit
Hard to win anywhere when we shoot 50% from the line. Same thing happened last season against Bama. We got to weather the storm. Get a win in the next two, and we are still on schedule for a solid seed.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Hard to win anywhere when we shoot 50% from the line. Same thing happened last season against Bama. We got to weather the storm. Get a win in the next two, and we are still on schedule for a solid seed.

I think no way no how can you lose to Vandy at home next Saturday. Their NET is SWAC-adjace right now. Heck it’s actually a lot lower than the SWAC team that beat us.

That game is sandwiched between road games at Kentucky and at Florida. I kinda feel like we need to win one of those. Both would be Q1. Would basically make up for losing at home to Bama.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We are not winning on Wednesday in Lexington. We should beat Vandy at home next Saturday. At Florida will be tough and then another hard home game against Auburn. The first half of our SEC schedule is brutal. We play four games against teams ranked in the top 10 in NET rankings (UT, Aub, Bama twice) and another game against Kentucky, who is 17th. If we can be 4-5 at the halfway point, that’s a positive because the second half of our schedule is much easier.

Reactions: HRMSU

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m expecting a loss in Lexington but also not ruling out something like the Arkansas game last year where we just play really well and get a win we weren’t expecting. Maybe Tennessee was that, I dunno.

Kentucky is very good but not invincible. They have a home loss to UNC Wilmington. The worry is they have too many scorers and we just can’t keep up.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We had a team in 2002 that was undefeated on the road... they lost in the opening around the NCAA tournament.

Nobody knows what's gonna happen this season till it happens. It's always a crazy basketball season in the SEC.

Reactions: AROB44

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I’m expecting a loss in Lexington but also not ruling out something like the Arkansas game last year where we just play really well and get a win we weren’t expecting. Maybe Tennessee was that, I dunno.

Kentucky is very good but not invincible. They have a home loss to UNC Wilmington. The worry is they have too many scorers and we just can’t keep up.hat

We don’t have what it takes to be a great basketball team. We may make the tournament, but we won’t get far.
If we make the tourney fine, if not, fine. All I know is that Jans is good enough of a coach that we should be willing to give him plenty of slack to build us up over the next few years. We just can't keep on changing out coaches every few years or less and expect long term stability/success. We gave Howland a good chance. We should give Jans as much or more. Kind of the same for football. Unless a coach tanks like Rick Ray or JoMo, or Zach Arnold, they ought to get 5 years minimum. We're not BAMA or UGA and probably never will be.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The ability to create and make open shots, and a consistent spot up shooter.
Very accurate. This is not the team that played Tennessee. They looked really good and if you can't see that Tolu played completely different in that one game that's sad. He was a monster against Tennessee and Josh was nailing his 3s. Lord I hate to bring it up but if we lose our next game we will be 1 and 3 in the SEC. Some genius called that the other night after that trashy SC game. Will he be correct ? Tune in for more updates on our next episode of jekyll and Hyde. Everybody got their panties in a bunch but let's keep watching it unfold

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Textbook let down spot coming off the biggest win in 21 years. We looked flat the majority of the game and gassed towards the end. We will lose to UK, and we will still make the tourney.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
We're not trash, but we're not a complete team yet either. Lack the ability to break defenses down and create outside shots.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
How it felt leaving the game after hitting the State Lounge a couple hours before the game

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
No. Every metric has us as a top 30 team. We played two of the top four teams in the conference this week and split. It’s January 14. The ‘96 team struggled in January and made the Final four. The 2004 team was rolling in January and got smoked in the second round

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
I’m not sure if yall watched the same game as I did, but I thought the transfer from the summit league they had at center (GRANT NELSON) (North Dakota State) last night was running circles around Tolu. Had more stamina. Had more wind. Had more grit. Had more hustle. Out-worked him. Wanted it more. Played smarter. Was in better shape.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’m not sure if yall watched the same game as I did, but I thought the transfer from the summit league they had at center (NELSON) last night was running circles around Tolu. Had more stamina. Had more wind. Had more grit. Had more hustle. Out-worked him. Wanted it more. Played smarter. Was in better shape.

To be fair Tolu has only been back from injury for two weeks. And still had a double double last night.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
If I was going to hire one of the 2 to be a player at the next level. The choice between the 2 is easy. Not even close. Nelson made Tolu look like he didn’t belong in the same league with him.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
I’m not sure if yall watched the same game as I did, but I thought the transfer from the summit league they had at center (GRANT NELSON) (North Dakota State) last night was running circles around Tolu. Had more stamina. Had more wind. Had more grit. Had more hustle. Out-worked him. Wanted it more. Played smarter. Was in better shape.
Seriously if that's what you are bitchin about you are a moron!

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
I’m not sure if yall watched the same game as I did, but I thought the transfer from the summit league they had at center (NELSON) last night was running circles around Tolu. Had more stamina. Had more wind. Had more grit. Had more hustle. Out-worked him. Wanted it more. Played smarter. Was in better shape.
Tolu still is not 100% it appears, but I thought that guy was getting away with murder last night. Holding Tolu on every rebound and hacking him on defense.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Tolu still is not 100% it appears, but I thought that guy was getting away with murder last night. Holding Tolu on every rebound and hacking him on defense.
When the TV guys say "They're letting them play tonight" that's code for Tolu getting mugged at the basket with no calls.

Cam sitting out a lot of the game with fouls was a huge deal, Bama got a lot of points of fast breaks following rebounds.

HereForTheSearch

Oct 23, 2023
Last night we reverted back to last year’s miss shots at the rim and suck at the free throw line frustrations…need to get back above 70% at the line even if Jones Jr and Hubbard are the only two above 80% for the season

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
A few key notes from Nate Oats postgame:

He was great,” Oat said of Nelson’s effort. “He used his length, he stood him up. He was able to do it without fouling him much.”Nelson ended the game with nine rebounds and three blocked shots.

But Alabama basketball tracks what Oats calls “blue-collar points.” Those take into account things like offensive rebounds and other hustle plays that don’t always show up on the stat sheet.
On Saturday, the Tide had plenty of them.
We had us with, I think, 16 more than they did,” Oats said. “And this is a team that is as hard-playing as anybody in the country.”

Oats told his team before the game that if it came out on top in the blue-collar points, it would probably win. That came true on Saturday.

“I thought we played harder than their team.” Oats said. “I thought our guys answered the bell when I challenged them to do that.”

Last edited:

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Hopefully Fort’s role can continue to expand over the next few weeks. Played 11:40 against Bama, 2-4 from 3. He’s a very capable shooter and has proven a willingness to get after it defensively. I think that was holding him back for a while. Everybody wants a Winsome Frazier type, I think he has that skill set.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login