Arnett is in over his head…

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Unless a miracle happens....we're winning no more than 1 more game. Arnett has got to go. Keenum and Selmon have to know this.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We should have told Arnett you're head coach, put your stamp on the program; With the requirement we keep the O staff with Spurrier as the OC. If he succeeds great, if not THEN blow up the AirRaid and start over.
Sooooo, the president of the university, who doesn’t know dick about football coaching strategy, talent evaluation, recruiting, staff management, or general X’s and O’s is supposed to not only hire the HC, but then tell him exactly what system he HAS to run on offense, make 50% of his staff hires for him? And wait, not only that, tell him that those 50% of the hires are temporary, 1-year contract situations and those guys better keep the resumes fresh….because whenever Will Rogers decides to move on or runs out of eligibility….THEN he as the HC gets to decide what he really wants to run? Am I hearing all this correctly?

Last edited:

TheDawgSaint

Jan 18, 2021
The move has to be made at season end. The apathy of the fan base will absolutely require it. Imagine ticket sales next year if all we do is run this back.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
It was said that we hired Arnett to keep the class together, but it's painfully obvious now this class wasn't worth being kept together outside of maybe four or five individuals.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
We are not a good team. Special teams are the highlight of our games.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Or if you want to change the offense to a variation of the air raid which is run heavy and bring in another OC/HC next year that’s fine, but for this season just keep the staff together, don’t blow it up and win 7-8 games. that made sense, make Arnett interim and have continuity.
The team that beat Illinois in the bowl game would win 7 games, was organized, disciplined, tough and just light years better than this mess.
Which I honestly think Jr. would have done. I'd be willing to bet the run-plays we saw last year were cooked up by the staff and not Leach himself. Like I said, if Jr's successful then great! We have a name OC, and lots of buzz about the Leach tree. If not, let Arnett make the hire and it's all on him then.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Sorry... Who again did we play today?
Even when we played other teams, if you compare our offensive performance against the defense performance, there is a huge difference between the two. Neither one is that great, I agree, but our defense has been the worst part of our team.

I think if you were going to fix our team, that is the place you need to start

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
We had more people show up to the game we lost to Maine, and it was raining that day. Selmon better get people in the seats. A coaching change can do that. Even though, the kids could play catch and not bother anyone it was so empty.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Even when we played other teams, if you compare our offensive performance against the defense performance, there is a huge difference between the two. Neither one is that great, I agree, but our defense has been the worst part of our team.

I think if you were going to fix our team, that is the place you need to start
I'm just dismayed at the lack of desire of continuity. The D was the question this year had the systems remained the same. Now we suck on both sides.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Maybe we could get Taylor Swift to coach for us. That would fill the stands.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm just dismayed at the lack of desire of continuity. The D was the question this year had the systems remained the same. Now we suck on both sides.
I understand completely. We have absolutely no glimmer of hope on this team be it on offense or defense. The offense can put up some points, but never keep us in the game with good competition

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
We should have told Arnett you're head coach, put your stamp on the program; With the requirement we keep the O staff with Spurrier as the OC. If he succeeds great, if not THEN blow up the AirRaid and start over.
Spurrier is a bum. He’s a career position coach. That would have been a dumb move

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Sorry... Who again did we play today?
A team that we scored 41 points against. Also a team that faced 2 other Power 5 teams prior to us, who also scored in the 40’s against them. Please share how many points we were supposed to score today for us to “not suck”.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Sooooo, the president of the university, who doesn’t know dick about football coaching strategy, talent evaluation, recruiting, staff management, or general X’s and O’s is supposed to not only hire the HC, but then tell him exactly what system he HAS to run on offense, make 50% of his staff hires for him? And wait, not only that, tell him that those 50% of the hires are temporary, 1-year contract situations and those guys better keep the resumes fresh….because whenever Will Rogers decides to move on or runs out of eligibility….THEN he as the HC gets to decide what he really wants to run? Am I hearing all this correctly?
Yes. They are all interim in their respective positions

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I’m not pro-Arnett given what we’ve seen the last few weeks, but I did see flashes of the old fire early today. He seemed to be upset with Brock’s calls on back-to-back plays, and I swear he signaled something in on one of them, and was yelling at Brock on both.
If he’s going to save his job, these next two weeks are when he’ll need to put in the effort to do it, and I’m hoping that includes taking back over the defensive play-calling.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
A team that we scored 41 points against. Also a team that faced 2 other Power 5 teams prior to us, who also scored in the 40’s against them. Please share how many points we were supposed to score today for us to “not suck”.
Man you’re starting to get close to the lunacy that ibdancin had during Joe’s last year. What exactly are you defending? Arnett was given the chance of lifetime without earning it and unsurprisingly he’s blowing it.

Do you honestly see something redeeming about arnett as a head coach or do you just think it’s wrong to fire a guy after 1 year?

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I give coaches the benefit of the doubt more than most do but come on. You can’t sit there and watch that game and not see red flags.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I give coaches the benefit of the doubt more than most do but come on. You can’t sit there and watch that game and not see red flags.
Exactly. 3rd and 8 runs. Will passing for 4 yards on a 3rd and 12. Some of the playcalling is just damn ridiculous. And this defense isn’t stopping anybody.

we shut em down pretty good last year. It we are gonna make Jackson Fart look like a Heisman contender

Reactions: patdog

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
It was said that we hired Arnett to keep the class together, but it's painfully obvious now this class wasn't worth being kept together outside of maybe four or five individuals.
Which is an absolutely boneheaded reason to make that hiring decision. Especially with the transfer portal where bringing in a big name coach can attract a lot of players.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Those 4-5 (or however many are good) would have probably been the first to go and we would have been left with the guys that didn't have any other P5 options.

Even if we go 4-8 which I fully expect, we'll be on a better position to hire a legit coach this November than we would have been just after Leach died. That whole situation and timing (coupled with our less than stellar program reputation to begin with) would have caused a lot of potential coaches to just pass altogether.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yes. They are all interim in their respective positions
Arnett would absolutely not be even “interim head coach” if he couldn’t even select his own staff. He’d more or less be co-head coach with whoever the OC was, and would have no mandate to lead or set a culture. And by the way, Spurrier’s offense at Tulsa is hot garbage, so things would be even worse than they are now if we went that route.

I swear, it’s like some of you have no real world working experience and/or have never played organized sports above coach pitch little league.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login