Arnett is in over his head…

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Man you’re starting to get close to the lunacy that ibdancin had during Joe’s last year. What exactly are you defending? Arnett was given the chance of lifetime without earning it and unsurprisingly he’s blowing it.

Do you honestly see something redeeming about arnett as a head coach or do you just think it’s wrong to fire a guy after 1 year?
I’m completely agnostic on Arnett and his outlook. I have never defended his current job performance. I have only said that offense and offensive coaching has not been our issue. How is that lunacy?

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
A team that we scored 41 points against. Also a team that faced 2 other Power 5 teams prior to us, who also scored in the 40’s against them. Please share how many points we were supposed to score today for us to “not suck”.
Dude. A third team qb, two 2nd team offensive linemen, and 2nd team running back, from a MAC team, rattled off 28 points on us today at home.

This rag tag offense gained 413 yards on the defense today. At. home.

If we would have been in that situation, we wouldn’t have crossed the 50.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I give coaches the benefit of the doubt more than most do but come on. You can’t sit there and watch that game and not see red flags.
I saw tons of red flags. The same ones that have been there all year. But what specifically are the red flags with offensive prep or play calling that aren’t related to the fact that our players just aren’t very good?

And I’m not saying we’re some offensive juggernaut either. But the offense has been fine. Not great, but not a major liability in any game this season besides LSU.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Dude. A third team qb, two 2nd team offensive linemen, and 2nd team running back, from a MAC team, rattled off 28 points on us today at home.

This rag tag offense gained 413 yards on the defense today. At. home.

If we would have been in that situation, we wouldn’t have crossed the 50.
What does any of what you said have to do with OUR offense? Our defense sucks. It’s the anchor dragging the whole team down. No one disputes that.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I saw tons of red flags. The same ones that have been there all year. But what specifically are the red flags with offensive prep or play calling that aren’t related to the fact that are players just aren’t very good?

And I’m not saying we’re some offensive juggernaut either. But the offense has been fine. Not great, but not a major liability in any game this season besides LSU.
The offense does enough to win games. The glaring eyesore is the defense. It’s horrendous.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The offense does enough to win games. The glaring eyesore is the defense. It’s horrendous.
I totally agree. But you and @ronpolk replied to me like I was defending the whole staff when I was only talking about the offense.

Bring back threaded view, damn it!

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Arnett would absolutely not be even “interim head coach” if he couldn’t even select his own staff. He’d more or less be co-head coach with whoever the OC was, and would have no mandate to lead or set a culture. And by the way, Spurrier’s offense at Tulsa is hot garbage, so things would be even worse than they are now if we went w
Arnett would absolutely not be even “interim head coach” if he couldn’t even select his own staff. He’d more or less be co-head coach with whoever the OC was, and would have no mandate to lead or set a culture. And by the way, Spurrier’s offense at Tulsa is hot garbage, so things would be even worse than they are now if we went that route.

I swear, it’s like some of you have no real world working experience and/or have never played organized sports above coach pitch little league.
I'm sure we are not as smart as you. No doubt you were one of the guys clamoring about Arnett defense carrying Leach and saying what a great move promoting him was. Well enjoy your dumpster fire bro. It's just heating up. I think we discussed this game yesterday and you were yammering about we would blow them out...lol

Reactions: blitz2Win

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
What does any of what you said have to do with OUR offense? Our defense sucks. It’s the anchor dragging the whole team down. No one disputes that.

Ok. Well I’ll turn the gripe to the other side.

How did the offense do against LSU… and then let’s compare to Missouri, UM, Arkansas.

We scored a whopping 4 more points against LSU then….Grambling. And MSU played LSU at home.

And the retort is “but Alabama!” This is the worst Alabama team since 2007.. hands down.

Last edited:

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
We can pay a top 15-20 salary. Plenty of people will want to come.
So what can we pay in NIL for recruits, current players, and transfer portal players? Does it matter how much you pay your coaches if they run vanilla every week schemes in offense and defense, but with way worse talented players?

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
I’m open to smarts, savvier ideas. Jeff Lebby? WSU Head Coach? I think you gotta go get Petrino.
What does Petrino do with our current talent pool in this new NIL landscape of college football? Sure he does good running basic pro stuff at somewhere like A&M, but does that work here with way lesser talent? Maybe we should go all in with the elements of surprise instead.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
After the LSU game during his midweek coach interview he said, "When I get fired." I thought it was strange for him to say it but now . . .
Ah damn, you think it’s already a done deal? That would actually explain a lot.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
(Post above)
No, I was one of the biggest Leach supporters on here and never accused anyone of carrying him. Same as you were. And the truth won out in the end there for both of us. But none of that matters in the here and now. The very plain and simple truth is that Leach’s untimely death put us in a horrible spot. Once the haze of his passing and all the tributes and mourning were done, it became abundantly clear to many that 2023 was going to probably be a hell of a struggle without him. That’s been the case.

And I never claimed to be smarter than anyone. You don’t have to be smart to realize that a 17ing university president can’t micromanage an SEC head coach and the program to the extent that he’s picking what offensive system to run and what coaches to run it, and expect anything less than an absolute disaster.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Ok. Well I’ll turn the gripe to the other side.

How did the offense do against LSU… and then let’s compare to Missouri, UM, Arkansas.

We scored a whopping 4 more points against LSU then….Grambling. And MSU played LSU at home.

And the retort is “but Alabama!” This is the worst Alabama team since 2007.. hands down.
The offense sucked against LSU. Missed assignments and bad execution and everything in between. Had none of that happened, it still wouldn’t have mattered and we still would have lost by 3 TD’s on account of how bad the defense was. But yes, we were pretty bad across the board that day.

Other than that one game, and the last 20-25 minutes against AZ when Arnett idiotically had us go into a shell where we were running against 8 and 9 man boxes to try and bleed clock, our offensive COACHES have done everything needed for us to win games.

Today we scored 41 (and could have hit 50+ if not for missing a FG and running out the clock at the end), didn’t turn the ball over on offense, didn’t give up a sack, only punted 3 times, and averaged 6.8 yards per play. That’s about as good as it 17ing gets for a Mississippi State offense, and people are still bítching about it.

Last edited:

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
For ffs Perd, Iowa put 41 on WesternMichigan and they are ranked last in the country on offense.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
The offense sucked against LSU. Missed assignments and bad execution and everything in between. Had none of that happened, it still wouldn’t have mattered and we still would have lost by 3 TD’s on account of how bad the defense was. But yes, we were pretty bad across the board that day.

Other than that one game, and the last 20-25 minutes against AZ when Arnett idiotically had us go into a shell where we were running against 8 and 9 man boxes to try and bleed clock, our offensive COACHES have done everything needed for us to win games.

Today we scored 41 (and could have hit 50+ if not for missing a FG and running out the clock at the end), didn’t turn the ball over on offense, didn’t give up a sack, and averaged 6.8 yards per play. That’s about as good as it 17ing gets for a Mississippi State offense, and people are still bítching about it.
Ok. I’ll meet you in the middle and agree that we are currently scoring what we should be against lesser opponents, but look like rednecks working calculus out there vs SEC competition.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
The defense is the biggest problem by far, and that's almost all on the secondary.
Somewhat disagree. Not saying we don’t have problems in the secondary. Our defensive scheme relies on the line/lb getting in the backfield. We’re not. Our lack of pressure is leaving holes open in the middle and our db’s on an island.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Somewhat disagree. Not saying we don’t have problems in the secondary. Our defensive scheme relies on the line/lb getting in the backfield. We’re not. Our lack of pressure is leaving holes open in the middle and our db’s on an island.
The secondary is BAD. We can't cover my dead grandmother:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
For ffs Perd, Iowa put 41 on WesternMichigan and they are ranked last in the country on offense.
So how many were we supposed to score? 87? 63? What’s the magic number?

Nobody gives a 17 what Iowa did (who was actually 88th in scoring offense entering today, FWIW). Kirk Ferentz runs a slow, boring, methodical offense by design and has done that for decades in case you weren’t aware. But they are still capable of having a good, high scoring offensive game against an outmanned G5 team just like anyone else in the P5, and they did.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ok. I’ll meet you in the middle and agree that we are currently scoring what we should be against lesser opponents, but look like rednecks working calculus out there vs SEC competition.
We looked like rednecks working out calculus against LSU. We looked respectable against Bama and USCe, and would have been much better than respectable if not for turnovers (which were a product of the officiating against USCe).

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
No, I was one of the biggest Leach supporters on here and never accused anyone of carrying him. Same as you were. And the truth won out in the end there for both of us. But none of that matters in the here and now. The very plain and simple truth is that Leach’s untimely death put us in a horrible spot. Once the haze of his passing and all the tributes and mourning were done, it became abundantly clear to many that 2023 was going to probably be a hell of a struggle without him. That’s been the case.

And I never claimed to be smarter than anyone. You don’t have to be smart to realize that a 17ing university president can’t micromanage an SEC head coach and the program to the extent that he’s picking what offensive system to run and what coaches to run it, and expect anything less than an absolute disaster.
Is Keenum doing all that?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Is Keenum doing all that?
No, of course not. But it was suggested by several that it’s what he should have done….by making Arnett run the Air Raid with Leach’s former assistants as a condition of him getting the HC job.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It's definitely more of a defense problem for sure. The offense has improved. Still not gonna light up the SEC tho. But it's light years ahead of the defense. We might score some against Arky and Auburn but they will outscore us. We can stop anyone all the way down to a junior college

Reactions: Maroon13

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Arnett would absolutely not be even “interim head coach” if he couldn’t even select his own staff. He’d more or less be co-head coach with whoever the OC was, and would have no mandate to lead or set a culture. And by the way, Spurrier’s offense at Tulsa is hot garbage, so things would be even worse than they are now if we went that route.

I swear, it’s like some of you have no real world working experience and/or have never played organized sports above coach pitch little league.
I would have hired a real HC before giving him the job. If you name a guy interim HC and another interim OC I feel sure they will know they are HC for the time being. Now we have a whole new staff that another REAL Hc is gonna have to replace. He will wanna being his guys in. So now it's a major cluster17. We coulda taken a year to find our guy

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
our players just aren’t very good

This is our primary problem with our football team. To be even more specific, our players are too slow to be able to really compete with the teams that we play.

When your opponent can outrun you at every position, a coach can't do much to compensate for that.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
This is our primary problem with our football team. To be even more specific, our players are too slow to be able to really compete with the teams that we play.

When your opponent can outrun you at every position, a coach can't do much to compensate for that.
Yep. I'm not making excuses for the coaching staff. But yes, the team speed of LSU and Alabama was a huge difference in those games.

But yesterday, we were faster than WMU in most situations. Marks could get to the edge. However Lee couldn't finish his long run and WMU caught him. Our DBs could run with their WRs but coverage wasn't great.

Anyways.. we are slow by SEC standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

You’re damn right it is. Elephant in the room. And its THE massive issue on both sides of the ball, but much moreso on defense. And a new coach, new OC, and/or new DC aren’t going to fix that problem.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Today we scored 41 (and could have hit 50+ if not for missing a FG and running out the clock at the end), didn’t turn the ball over on offense, didn’t give up a sack, only punted 3 times, and averaged 6.8 yards per play. That’s about as good as it 17ing gets for a Mississippi State offense, and people are still bítching about it.
We had 307 yards of offense against Arizona. Qualify it all you want with Arnett going into a shell, that was a **** effort. If not for the defense, we lose that game. The offense played good against South Carolina. It was good enough against western Michigan.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I saw tons of red flags. The same ones that have been there all year. But what specifically are the red flags with offensive prep or play calling that aren’t related to the fact that our players just aren’t very good?

Math.

You have this happening already this season:

This team was resold the idea that we would not be changing much on offense. That retained 6 WRs that are ranked 4 stars. For a WR, it's numbers. They want to be targeted. The more passing the more targets. The more WRs on the field, the more possible targets.

We are running more 12 personnel than 10. That pulls 2 WRs off the field. That means 2 WRs are getting less reps and thus less targets.

We are running mostly 11 personnel and that means 1 wr spot is taken. Same results.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
We looked like rednecks working out calculus against LSU. We looked respectable against Bama and USCe, and would have been much better than respectable if not for turnovers (which were a product of the officiating against USCe).

Again with the “respectable vs Alabama”. This is the worst Alabama team since 2007. If this Alabama team showed up to play from 10-17, We would be talking about a much different Mullen era. MSU wins the west and is probably in the playoffs in New Orleans in 14. And the Citrus bowl would be on the resume possibly more than once.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
We should have told Arnett you're head coach, put your stamp on the program; With the requirement we keep the O staff with Spurrier as the OC. If he succeeds great, if not THEN blow up the AirRaid and start over.
Not sure how you tell someone you're the head coach and to put their stamp on it and then say oh by the way, you do it how I tell you to do it?? Kinda opposite of what you're suggesting.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Not sure how you tell someone you're the head coach and to put their stamp on it and then say oh by the way, you do it how I tell you to do it?? Kinda opposite of what you're suggesting.
You do that if he has an interim tag, which is what he should have had. blowing up the staff and doing the round peg square hole is what produced this mess.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login