At the beginning of the year, I said to be ready for Ole Miss to be good.....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
.....and that it would be a long year for anyone who had trouble handling that. BUT, I also predicted that by the end of the season (i.e. national signing day), we'd probably be happy because Lane would likely be gone and their recruiting class would fall apart, to our benefit. So how am I looking on all that?

1) Is Lane leaving? Looks like Miami won't be open, and I doubt he gets the call to USC (even though he should), but does Danny get the axe?
2) Are any of their commitments wavering? Specifically the OT from the coast and DT from Madison;

They have snuck up on a potential 10-2 season. Us being a little farther ahead of schedule makes this easier, and maybe we can actually beat them and put a big dent in things. Lane will still be 9-3 and I still think that gets him a look. But he is losing dang near everybody on offense, no matter if he stays or goes. But we still also have to get through the Heisman, and Corral seems like he's headed that direction.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I still think if Lane is serious about winning a National Championship, Florida would be the best opportunity.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Which question is THE question? Does Lane want to program build? If so, he stays at OM. Does Lane want the easiest path to national title? If so, he leaves for a national job outside the SEC. Does Lane want to beat Saban? If so, he could leave OM for a Florida or LSU ie something more conducive to beat Saban.

The third question seems petty and least likely on the surface but I really think it’s possible how it ended in T-town. I think a big factor in him wanting to OM job was the potential to ding Saban. At OM he could ding Saban time to time a la Freeze but he’ll never surpass him. I think Lane believes he could surpass Saban at a SEC school with more assets like a LSU or Florida. It will be interesting to see what drives Lane at this point in his career.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
The biggest variable in all of this is that Kiffin would have to be offered the Florida or LSU jobs before he could take them. He seems to be down the list a good bit at LSU, but with Jimbo continuing to look mediocre, maybe Woodward decides it’s not worth that monster investment? But I feel like Lincoln Riley, Mel Tucker, and a couple others would be ahead there.

We have no clue what Florida would look to do, because they still have a coach and 2 weeks ago we assumed he would be their coach in 2022. If Florida pursued Kiffin as a top candidate, I’d be very surprised for Ole Miss to keep him. They’d have a shot, but it would be minimal.

As far as losing a lot of talent, yeah that’s true. And it’s why the Auburn loss stings so bad because without we’d be an Egg Bowl win in Starkville (a tough task) from having a shot at the playoff. But with the portal and immediate eligibility like it is now, rebuilds don’t take nearly as long. And Kiffin and staff have shown a knack for managing it well. You’d have to think QBs will be interested, and they’ve been fairly selective with high school recruiting to ensure they have room for multiple impact transfers. And with the defensive growth, you’d have to think Kiffin believes that we may take a step back next year, but we can still win games and build. And they’re in on a lot of talent in the 23 class. Ole Miss won’t come into the Egg Bowl 9-2 next year, but they could easily come in at 7-4.

The future of both programs, as currently constructed, is very bright.

ColoradoDawg

Sep 3, 2016
Don’t think Kiffin is going to leave for another NCAA job, Kiffin will leave to coach in the NFL. Just my prediction…

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
If the cheerleader wants to begin repairing his relationship with our fan base, he needs to fire Mullen at the nearest Target and hire Kiffin.

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012
If the cheerleader wants to begin repairing his relationship with our fan base, he needs to fire Mullen at the nearest Target and hire Kiffin.

The cheerleader is no longer part of the family. He can never again wear maroon on Friday. He can never ring a MSU cowbell, and he can never repair his relationship with our fan base. Mr. “I Love MSU” is stuck in the mire of the swamp, and eventually the swamp will consume and digest him. Dan may soon be getting a taste of swamp water, himself.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I admit, Kiffen is an interesting guy. Don’t hate him at all and like the entertainment he brings (popcorn). But seems like our base is way too involved/concerned, and cares what happens with the dude.
IMO, there is zero chance he makes Oxford a long term destination..but maybe he does.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The cheerleader is no longer part of the family. He can never again wear maroon on Friday. He can never ring a MSU cowbell, and he can never repair his relationship with our fan base. Mr. “I Love MSU” is stuck in the mire of the swamp, and eventually the swamp will consume and digest him. Dan may soon be getting a taste of swamp water, himself.
I'll always be mad about 2018 but it's starting to look like he did us a favor. I mean Mullen simply did not want to be here any longer, and he was killing the program from a recruiting standpoint. We are just now coming out of the hole he dug us. He simply didn't care about balancing classes from 2016 on and it left huge gaping holes in the lines especially. He went huge on JUCO to try and get out. I've been parroting this point for years and folks are starting to understand what I meant.

Slopface made him look good for a year or two, especially when he beat us and did better than his predecessors, but that **** is ancient history now. 17 that guy. He can go count his money up in the Northeast somewhere.

He needs to go to Syracuse and coach Beard Shrader. That'd be a twist of irony.

Last edited:

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I'll always be mad about 2018 but it's starting to look like he did us a favor. I mean Mullen simply did not want to be here any longer, and he was killing the program from a recruiting standpoint. We are just now coming out of the hole he dug us. He simply didn't care about balancing classes from 2016 on and it left huge gaping holes in the lines especially. He went huge on JUCO to try and get out. I've been parroting this point for years and folks are starting to understand what I meant.

Slopface made him look good for a year or two, especially when he beat us and did better than his predecessors, but that **** is ancient history now. 17 that guy. He can go count his money up in the Northeast somewhere.

Favor or not, you don't swoop in and take the most successful coach in history away from an alma mater you claim love.

"I know I stole your wife, but she was going to leave you anyway. I did you a FAVOR."

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

UMass is also open; would be perfect for Merlinz.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I admit, Kiffen is an interesting guy. Don’t hate him at all and like the entertainment he brings (popcorn). But seems like our base is way too involved/concerned, and cares what happens with the dude.
IMO, there is zero chance he makes Oxford a long term destination..but maybe he does.

I don't dislike Kiffin. I think although he runs a fun brand of football I'm not sure of his success in the long run because he take a lot of chances. It's a Lotta fun and causes a whole bunch of excitement one season. It's really good because He can cover up a lot of holes in his teams by the way he runs things so fast and makes it unpredictable and it works until he plays one of the teams that has a stable full of five stars. He had a really good plan for Texas A&M last night.

But then it's the next season and those crazy calls start again, You might might get lucky but everybody has seen your shtick now it is a little better prepared for your high tempo office and crazy play calls it might work but you can't say because he really hasn't been any place long enough to see if he can repeat his success year after year at the college level as a head coach.

I love to give the Ole Miss fans a hard time about Joey freshwater but I don't think he's a terrible guy.

I DO think Kiffin should be careful whatever he does because even though he coaches for Ole Miss I don't think he's an awful God I'd hate to see him get in a bad situation because that kind of joy watching him coach everybody else except Mississippi . It might really be in his best interest to wait another year. Everybody keeps saying this is the year that the big jobs are open we have no idea what's gonna happen next year. Texas might be looking for somebody else err... that is Texas will be looking for somebody else. We have no idea who is going to need another coach. Unfortunately when it comes to Mississippi State or Mississippi we have a tendency to lose younger coaches that have success because it goes somewhere else.

If he decides to leave Mississippithat I hope he's making a the right choice. There's a guy right now who left to take something he wasn't ready for that's an all sorts of hot water here in Austin. (I told the dumb ***'s here that Sark was not the guy they wanted!) They didn't listen to me when they heard that fool out of Houston either.

I honestly think he might be really good at the pro level as an offensive coordinator to start with but then again he might do well as a head coach I don't know. I think Dan Mullen would do better as an offensive coordinator in the pros but he's probably too stubborn to go that way. I'm not sure he would make that whole head-coaching material but I've always been right and wrong about the coaches in the pros, there is a guy who won the Super Bowl at Tampa Bay that used to live next-door to my mother-in-law in Starkville until he found out he was it successful as an offensive coordinator coach at at Mississippi State

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Vegas will have them favored by -2 but ESPN will give us a 53% chance of winning.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I don’t hate him either. Part of that is the mutual respect him and Leach have which has cooled a lot of the unhealthy parts of the rivalry, and another part of it is that it will be damn near impossible for any coach there to approach Hugh Freeze level of hatred. Still hope he goes 0-12 every year, but I don’t hate him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Depends. If he can get a premier college job, he'll take it. And with LSU and Southern Cal already open, Florida all but certainly open, and maybe Miami open or Penn St or Texas A&M open if Franklin or Jimbo take one of the other jobs, it may be now or not for a while on that front.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login