Penalty: Defense offside OR offense hands to head?

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I’ve seen this several times in the past, but I never hear the argument that this actually should be a 15 yard penalty if anything on the offensive for hands to the head. Thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Movement by the offensive line with a defender in the neutral zone is automatically offside on the defense. Usually you see the offensive lineman standup when a defender enters the neutral zone to induce the whistle.

I don’t have a problem with the slap in this case. It’s cooler and more disrespectful than just standing up or pointing.

• Haha
Reactions: mcdawg22 and Dawgg

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Movement by the offensive line with a defender in the neutral zone is automatically offside on the defense. Usually you see the offensive lineman standup when a defender enters the neutral zone to induce the whistle.

I don’t have a problem with the slap in this case. It’s cooler and more disrespectful than just standing up or pointing.
I get that, but how by rules definition is this not hands to the head penalty? Especially in this day and age.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
I get that, but how by rules definition is this not hands to the head penalty? Especially in this day and age.
It is not forcible contact. It doesn't involve any touching, pushing, twisting of the facemask.
If you think about it, there is a lot more contact to helmets during tackles that is not considered targeting for the same reasons.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
It is not forcible contact. It doesn't involve any touching, pushing, twisting of the facemask.
If you think about it, there is a lot more contact to helmets during tackles that is not considered targeting for the same reasons.
I’ve seen plenty of pass rushers called for less or the same on a quarterback. Have you not?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Personal foul penalties are called all the time after the play when it’s not a live ball situation. Before the play after the play, both are not a live ball.
Yes. Thats unsportsmanlike conduct. I thought you were asking about hands to the face. Doubtful this is ever going to be unsportsmanlike conduct. It’s not bad at all.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Yes. Thats unsportsmanlike conduct. I thought you were asking about hands to the face. Doubtful this is ever going to be unsportsmanlike conduct. It’s not bad at all.
Again this begs the same question, slapping someone in the head is always unsportsmanlike conduct and a personal foul in every other football related instance. I get touching them on the shoulder pad, but this is something different, according to the rules.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Again this begs the same question, slapping someone in the head is always unsportsmanlike conduct and a personal foul in every other football related instance. I get touching them on the shoulder pad, but this is something different, according to the rules.
Meh. Now you are getting into the subjectivity of it. It looks like nothing to me. But yes someone could call it UC

Reactions: bulldoghair
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login