Banner M

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Can someone aware me on why the banner M is so bad? I’m not particularly tied to it, but it is the emblem State has been using in our most successful athletic era. The state script is a bit generic and the interlocking reminds me of a Jackson State emblem.
I think the banner M is generic. When I see pewter plates I can’t tell if it’s us Michigan or Marshall from a distance. That being said, if it means us going back to averaging 7/8 wins a season bring that **** back.

RBcoach

Nov 14, 2023
Groundhog Day GIF by GIPHY News

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It is not. It is the best logo State has ever had.

My theory why script &tate has been shoved upon us...
Unfortunately we have a small fan base and therefore low merch sales numbers. Then you have a young AD comes in that wants to sell more merchandise. So he pushes forward the &tate logo to spike sales of merchandise. I'm sure that helps our payout from adidas.

I bet MState comes back in a few years with a new AD.

More... I think you have two media people that don't like it. They expressed their opinion over and over and over. Their lemmings gobbled up their opinions and run with it on the internet. The banner M hate on Twitter and genes and now On3 are all the same lemmings.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The banner M will forever be associated with Croom for most of us. It was his first year that we started using it for football. Maine, 3-2, 45-0 Ole Miss... All under Croom and his banner M.
Amazing people say this. It first appeared for any sport in 95-96, final four. It was first on the football field and tv shots in 1997. It was present during the greatest era of MState football and basketball.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The banner M will forever be associated with Croom for most of us. It was his first year that we started using it for football. Maine, 3-2, 45-0 Ole Miss... All under Croom and his banner M.
We've gotten our *** kicked by bad schools with every logo. I liked the banner personally. Now the MSU was my favorite as it was the one we had when I was a kid so nostalgia and all that. The script state is probably my least favorite of the logos to be honest with you.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Amazing people say this. It first appeared for any sport in 95-96, final four. It was first on the football field and tv shots in 1997. It was present during the greatest era of MState football and basketball.
Yet the point remains... Pre Croom football was interlocking MSU. The banner M was a basketball logo. M over S was baseball. The Croom era is when banner M became the primary logo for football and thus the university.

We weren't buying banner M merch in the 90's. Everything was interlocking MSU and Nike... I never bought anything with a picture of the logo on the 50 at Davis Wade on it to wear around. Croom, Russell, and the Banner M stuff all came together in 2004. It was a package deal and it was gross all the way around. 17ing Russell man, I guess Fruit of the Loom was to spendy. Sadly, Russell was the best of the three of you had to choose between the logo, the coach, or the brand of clothing.

1000012584.png

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I hate that the A is off center. I'd be fine with it if it weren't for that.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Ole Miss dude wrote that article. Funny he was attempting to make fun of State and State fans ran with it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yet the point remains... Pre Croom football was interlocking MSU. The banner M was a basketball logo. M over S was baseball. The Croom era is when banner M became the primary logo for football and thus the university.

We weren't buying banner M merch in the 90's. Everything was interlocking MSU and Nike... I never bought anything with a picture of the logo on the 50 at Davis Wade on it to wear around. Croom, Russell, and the Banner M stuff all came together in 2004. It was a package deal and it was gross all the way around. 17ing Russell man, I guess Fruit of the Loom was to spendy. Sadly, Russell was the best of the three of you had to choose between the logo, the coach, or the brand of clothing.
Ok fine. The current logo was created in 2009 and is an adidas logo. Associated with Mullen, Dak and Vic.

The Croom, MState and Russel are no longer worn.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Taz_Man

Nov 9, 2017
Thanks for pointing that out, now I will never unsee it. Of course I had to find out why it is off center. Here is the explanation.

Why is the A in the Mississippi State logo off center?

Mississippi State's Main Logo Is Off-Center And It Is ...

The graphic designer, ultimately, chose to anchor the center to the five letters of 'STATE' rather than to the center letter 'A. '

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the banner M is generic. When I see pewter plates I can’t tell if it’s us Michigan or Marshall from a distance. That being said, if it means us going back to averaging 7/8 wins a season bring that **** back.
When have we ever had a logo that wasn't generic? Last one was the flying M back in the late 1960s. MS, MSU, M-State, &tate are all very generic. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a logo. Most teams have a generic logo. That said, &tate is the worst of the lot.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I wonder how much money could be generated if fans could vote on the helmet logo we use based on contributions to the NIL fund.

Reactions: bolddogge

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ok fine. The current logo was created in 2009 and is an adidas logo. Associated with Mullen, Dak and Vic.

The Croom, MState and Russel are no longer worn.
This is correct. The new banner is blockier and looks much better. The Croom stuff has long been gone.

Baseball is the only sport that deserves its own logos. Both the M over S and the &tate belong there. And you can put it on merch, that's fine too.

But moving from M-State to &tate as the official athletics logo is a mistake, for a number of reasons. I don't even dislike the idea of another main athletic logo, many SEC schools have this, but &tate just isn't it. It doesn't look good in football, basketball, on the football field, on the basketball court, and it won't look good lit up hanging outside the stadium either.

I am not sure who started this &tate script push, so I won't blame anyone. But we could have sold a ton of merch with that logo, without making it a main logo. Same as if we sell merch with M over S. So I just don't get this - at all. Some folks want to emphasize 'State', well shlt son, we already have. The banner says M-"STATE", dubmasses. And we've started the greeting tradition of 'Hail State', which many of our fans won't embrace. And now with &tate, we are as irrelevant as ever, after a long period of success with a recognizable emblem, that is also our official university emblem.

For a guy who has loved MSU his whole life, it's extremely frustrating to sit here and watch us do these things over and over and over. We've been changing logos our entire history, with little success, until M-State. Now we change that. I'll never fully understand the mindset many of our fans have. We really don't know what's best for us, and most people just don't question anything, fully content to stay exactly where they are.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Can someone aware me on why the banner M is so bad? I’m not particularly tied to it, but it is the emblem State has been using in our most successful athletic era. The state script is a bit generic and the interlocking reminds me of a Jackson State emblem.
If you did an out of state poll and asked fans across the nation what the M stood for in the banner, they wouldn't know what the hell you were talking about. It's also bland, generic as others have said, its just lazy. I like it only slightly better than the interlocking because interlocking looks like it was created with 60's fonts

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well, you're both right. Yeah it showed up earlier in other ways. But it didn't appear on a football helmet until Croom's first year.

baddmann007

Sep 26, 2023
Banner M State is my favorite logo and I wish they would keep it. If they decided to center the "A" that would be great also...

Reactions: Dawg84

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
That wasn't Alabama. That was a couple of really bad football teams wearing an Alabama uniform.
Still counts. And one of them was coached by the great and almost holy Saban. You could argue Saban studied the great Croom during that game, applied the lessons doled out, and then went on to greatness. Basically, MSU built that program in Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: HammerOfTheDogs

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Still counts. And one of them was coached by the great and almost holy Saban. You could argue Saban studied the great Croom during that game, applied the lessons doled out, and then went on to greatness. Basically, MSU built that program in Tuscaloosa.
Croom was always a Bammer shill anyway, so you could say he did his part to resurrect the program. Hell you could almost say he was directly responsible after beating Shula.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It personally doesn't count to me. Not emotionally, anyway. In 1980? Yeah that counted. It was a big deal...they were number one in the country. In 1996? Yeah, it counted. They were ranked high, we beat them for the first time in 16 years, and we stormed the field.

Those two wins over Bama during the Croom error don't come close to any of that. Shula's last year and Saban's first. That team lost to Louisiana Monroe too, just to refresh your memory.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
It personally doesn't count to me. Not emotionally, anyway. In 1980? Yeah that counted. It was a big deal...they were number one in the country. In 1996? Yeah, it counted. They were ranked high, we beat them for the first time in 16 years, and we stormed the field.

Those two wins over Bama during the Croom error don't come close to any of that. Shula's last year and Saban's first. That team lost to Louisiana Monroe too, just to refresh your memory.
Damn son, choose joy

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
Banner M State is my favorite logo and I wish they would keep it. If they decided to center the "A" that would be great also...
Seems like if they centered the A, that the ends would be off then after scooting to the right.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It's like asking why nobody likes your wife's saggy tits.
Answer: Because nobody likes saggy tits!

Last edited:

HailStorm15

Sep 26, 2023
It is not. It is the best logo State has ever had.

My theory why script &tate has been shoved upon us...
Unfortunately we have a small fan base and therefore low merch sales numbers. Then you have a young AD comes in that wants to sell more merchandise. So he pushes forward the &tate logo to spike sales of merchandise. I'm sure that helps our payout from adidas.

I bet MState comes back in a few years with a new AD.

More... I think you have two media people that don't like it. They expressed their opinion over and over and over. Their lemmings gobbled up their opinions and run with it on the internet. The banner M hate on Twitter and genes and now On3 are all the same lemmings.
LOL

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Hot take—

We should go back to the emblems used when Wade Walker was AD in the late 50s and 60s.

I’d say that was the most successful era (‘21 CWS champs excepted of course) in MSU history.

And if we didn’t have an emblem, we can just go without.

Back at ya @Mr. Cook

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
This is correct. The new banner is blockier and looks much better. The Croom stuff has long been gone.

Baseball is the only sport that deserves its own logos. Both the M over S and the &tate belong there. And you can put it on merch, that's fine too.

But moving from M-State to &tate as the official athletics logo is a mistake, for a number of reasons. I don't even dislike the idea of another main athletic logo, many SEC schools have this, but &tate just isn't it. It doesn't look good in football, basketball, on the football field, on the basketball court, and it won't look good lit up hanging outside the stadium either.

I am not sure who started this &tate script push, so I won't blame anyone. But we could have sold a ton of merch with that logo, without making it a main logo. Same as if we sell merch with M over S. So I just don't get this - at all. Some folks want to emphasize 'State', well shlt son, we already have. The banner says M-"STATE", dubmasses. And we've started the greeting tradition of 'Hail State', which many of our fans won't embrace. And now with &tate, we are as irrelevant as ever, after a long period of success with a recognizable emblem, that is also our official university emblem.

For a guy who has loved MSU his whole life, it's extremely frustrating to sit here and watch us do these things over and over and over. We've been changing logos our entire history, with little success, until M-State. Now we change that. I'll never fully understand the mindset many of our fans have. We really don't know what's best for us, and most people just don't question anything, fully content to stay exactly where they are.
Goat is pro Banner M. My team wins.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login