Barbay’s Offense Again Flashes In Second Scrimmage

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
STARKVILLE, MS - August 09, 2023 - Mississippi State Quarterback Will Rogers (#2) and Mississippi State Running Back Jeffery Pittman (#25) during fall practice at the South Farm at Mississippi State University in Starkville, MS. Photo By Jaden Powell

Rogers, Pittman, Davis and more shine with two weeks until kickoff.

More...

**These are automatic feeds from a Joel T. (Woo) Coleman Hail State RSS Feed. It reads from that feed and automatically posts new articles.**

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I listened to Wright on some radio show. He was asked why Miss State with Will Rogers. He said he like competition and he still has two years left to play without a red shirt. I figure he is planning on red shirting this season if possible.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Actually, the noodle arm narrative was mostly because we have some stupid fans.
Don’t be an idiot. His arm strength is well below average for a SEC QB. That doesn’t mean he can’t throw the deep ball and doesn’t mean he can’t be a great QB.

He has a quick release and can anticipate throws. That can make up for it. Arm strength is completely overrated. It’s also why dumbass NFL scouts and owners were high on Richardson.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Things I'm interested in early.

* Assuming Wright is the backup and active in game plans this year, that could be a really interesting dynamic. Not a fan of 2 QB systems, but there are plenty of spots where Wright could be a big problem for defenses geared to stopping Rogers.

* Seth Davis has that size issue that usually spells a lackluster career in the SEC, but damn he was incredibly productive in high level TX high school ball. And Arnett obviously likes him early on. My mind is open.

* Creed Whittemore.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Don’t be an idiot. His arm strength is well below average for a SEC QB. That doesn’t mean he can’t throw the deep ball and doesn’t mean he can’t be a great QB.

He has a quick release and can anticipate throws. That can make up for it. Arm strength is completely overrated. It’s also why dumbass NFL scouts and owners were high on Richardson.
Interesting, what gauge do you use for rating QB arm strength and where does Will rank on your scale of arm strength? If he can throw the ball deep I'm confused by his below average rating. During the spring game he completed a 45 yard in the air TD pass. Throwing a ball 45 yards (maybe longer since he's behind the line of scrimmage) demonstrated pretty good arm strength.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Interesting, what gauge do you use for rating QB arm strength and where does Will rank on your scale of arm strength? If he can throw the ball deep I'm confused by his below average rating. During the spring game he completed a 45 yard in the air TD pass. Throwing a ball 45 yards (maybe longer since he's behind the line of scrimmage) demonstrated pretty good arm strength.
Sigh. Just watch him throw a deep out. Name a starting Msstate QB in the past 20 years that had a weaker arm than Will. Only Wesley Carroll. Yes, Tyson Lee and Henig (I think that’s the spelling) both had stronger arms than Will.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Sigh. Just watch him throw a deep out. Name a starting Msstate QB in the past 20 years that had a weaker arm than Will. Only Wesley Carroll. Yes, Tyson Lee and Henig (I think that’s the spelling) both had stronger arms than Will.
For a guy Henigs size he had a very strong arm. He was our last QB that beat Bama at Bama. And, he was also victim to some horrendous coaching.

Reactions: paindonthurt

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Seth Davis might be small, but he has that intangible that you cannot adjust to-speed. He is fast. Can’t wait to watch.

I'm with you, but to be accurate, speed is pretty tangible. And if a defense has it as well, like all top level SEC defenses, the adjustment happens.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Really? You believe Henig and Lee had stronger arms? I have seen Will throw some bullets to complete 20 to 30 yard passes between defenders that Henig and Lee could only dream of completing. Will has a 140 QB rating in a ball control passing offense. AFA I know Dak is the only QB in the last 20 years that had a higher QB rating. Just because he didn't get the opportunity under Leach to air it out doesn't make him "Noodle arm".

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Bear in mind a lot of that scrimmage was after they pulled the veteran starters on defense. But I am still excited about this year. On both sides of the ball.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

You are the idiot.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Really? You believe Henig and Lee had stronger arms? I have seen Will throw some bullets to complete 20 to 30 yard passes between defenders that Henig and Lee could only dream of completing. Will has a 140 QB rating in a ball control passing offense. AFA I know Dak is the only QB in the last 20 years that had a higher QB rating. Just because he didn't get the opportunity under Leach to air it out doesn't make him "Noodle arm".
Henig had a strong arm. Especially for a smaller sec guy.

Tyson lee’s arm wasn’t any stronger than Rogers. Probably much weaker.

SF🐔 is a douche idiot.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Henig had a strong arm. Especially for a smaller sec guy.

Tyson lee’s arm wasn’t any stronger than Rogers. Probably much weaker.

SF🐔 is a douche idiot.

My sincerest wish for you is that you learn how to really open up to us all about how you truly feel about some of the obvious massive idiot douches on this message board.

Be better...

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Things I'm interested in early.

* Assuming Wright is the backup and active in game plans this year, that could be a really interesting dynamic. Not a fan of 2 QB systems, but there are plenty of spots where Wright could be a big problem for defenses geared to stopping Rogers.

* Seth Davis has that size issue that usually spells a lackluster career in the SEC, but damn he was incredibly productive in high level TX high school ball. And Arnett obviously likes him early on. My mind is open.

* Creed Whittemore.
I thought Davis would be a shoe-in as a kick returner with his speed but he isn’t going to beat out Harvey. I’ve never even heard of a player running the 40 in under 4 seconds but Davis supposedly has that kind of speed.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
State hasn’t had many QBs you would trust to throw outside the numbers on a deep out. Will doesn’t have that effortless flick-of-the wrist type of arm strength but he’s still among the very best passers I’ve seen in a MSU uniform.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Can't wait for the "fahr Barbay" posts when our first drive stalls against SELA... we're right on schedule setting ourselves up with preseason optimism.
Odds are we'll have several drives stall vs SELA. As long as more don't stall than stall, we'll be fine.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Only way I can be convinced of who has a stronger arm is "one-on-one" arm wrestling.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
There is a lot said about Will only throwing 10 yard passes bit if you are on one hash mark and throw across the field to the other sideline 10 yards downfield and its a rope.....thats pretty decent. Thats a long throw. 10 yards on the Stat sheet but more like a 40 yard rope. Plus anybody throwing 50 to 60 passes every 17ing game has got to have an arm. Anyway that is a dead horse that's been beat to pieces. We will see plenty of evidence this year of what kind of arm he has.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
My sincerest wish for you is that you learn how to really open up to us all about how you truly feel about some of the obvious massive idiot douches on this message board.

Be better...
You don’t think SF chicken is a massive idiot douche?

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I was surprised Will just turned 22 (the scrimmage was on his birthday). Feels like he's been around the program for a long time.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I was surprised Will just turned 22 (the scrimmage was on his birthday). Feels like he's been around the program for a long time.

He's been front and center for 2.5 seasons. That's already as long as Dak was in the spotlight.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I wonder how we ended up with many QB experts on one forum.

I also wonder if they plan to use both QBs in future games to use all the available players to expand our offense, making the opposing defense prepare for both QBs. I hope we see everyone for the opener. I don't think we will because I seriously doubt we will see very much from our offense in this game.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I wonder how we ended up with many QB experts on one forum.

I also wonder if they plan to use both QBs in future games to use all the available players to expand our offense, making the opposing defense prepare for both QBs. I hope we see everyone for the opener. I don't think we will because I seriously doubt we will see very much from our offense in this game.
Latest word from Barbay and Arnett is that we will see both QBs in games for the reason you mention. Defense preparation will be tougher for opponents. With Barbay's philosophy I expect to see both on the field at the same time during some plays.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Latest word from Barbay and Arnett is that we will see both QBs in games for the reason you mention. Defense preparation will be tougher for opponents. With Barbay's philosophy I expect to see both on the field at the same time during some plays.
It seems putting Wright as a back or receiver on occasion would be so distracting for defenses. He actually has the speed and skill set to force attention.

With both QBs in, would that make it a RPRPO?***

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login