Barbay’s Offense Again Flashes In Second Scrimmage

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It seems putting Wright as a back or receiver on occasion would be so distracting for defenses. He actually has the speed and skill set to force attention.

With both QBs in, would that make it a RPRPO?***
Wright said in an interview he is willing to red shirt this year giving him two more years. He can play in four this season and still red shirt. As long as Rogers don't get hurt, I think he is going to red shirt.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Actually, the noodle arm narrative was mostly because we have some stupid fans.
The stupid part was calling him "noodle arm." But he does have a weaker arm than most SEC QBs. It was a lot more apparent in the air raid and it affected how he played too because he would hesitate in throwing the ball into tight windows, which led to him holding it too long or checking down to a back. But that doesn't mean he can't be really good in this offense. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does when he's liberated from so much responsibility and can just let it go.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Interesting, what gauge do you use for rating QB arm strength and where does Will rank on your scale of arm strength? If he can throw the ball deep I'm confused by his below average rating. During the spring game he completed a 45 yard in the air TD pass. Throwing a ball 45 yards (maybe longer since he's behind the line of scrimmage) demonstrated pretty good arm strength.
Weak armed QBs can still throw the ball 45/50 yards. The "bombs" are the easier throws to make. Arm strength comes into question on deep outs and slants where you have a very small window to complete the pass without it getting picked and have to put some mustard on them. Those are the throws Will struggled with last year.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Really? You believe Henig and Lee had stronger arms? I have seen Will throw some bullets to complete 20 to 30 yard passes between defenders that Henig and Lee could only dream of completing. Will has a 140 QB rating in a ball control passing offense. AFA I know Dak is the only QB in the last 20 years that had a higher QB rating. Just because he didn't get the opportunity under Leach to air it out doesn't make him "Noodle arm".
It's not even a debatable point. They had stronger arms.

Any QB that completes 20 passes per game to backs out of the backfield is going to have a high pass rating. The counting stats aren't a true measure for Will. Most of his passes were short yardage safe passes. And throwing for 300 per game is much less impressive when you find out that he threw it 55 times and we only had 340 total yards.

The true stat to look at with regards to Will is YPC. It's not where it needs to be. Hopefully this offense fits him better.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It's not even a debatable point. They had stronger arms.

Any QB that completes 20 passes per game to backs out of the backfield is going to have a high pass rating. The counting stats aren't a true measure for Will. Most of his passes were short yardage safe passes. And throwing for 300 per game is much less impressive when you find out that he threw it 55 times and we only had 340 total yards.

The true stat to look at with regards to Will is YPC. It's not where it needs to be. Hopefully this offense fits him better.
I guess in your mind it is not debatable. Strong arm is a nebulous term. QBs throw the ball based on the situation. Back side passes are intended to look like weak arm passes so the WR can come back for them. Down and out passes depend a lot on where the defender is in relationships with the WR. Mike Leach was probably the premier coach for QBs in college football and he started Will as a freshmen. If he felt Will was weak then why? It's all about technique. Here's my QB in action: Will Rogers

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It seems putting Wright as a back or receiver on occasion would be so distracting for defenses. He actually has the speed and skill set to force attention.

With both QBs in, would that make it a RPRPO?***
Option, toss, pass

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I guess in your mind it is not debatable. Strong arm is a nebulous term. QBs throw the ball based on the situation. Back side passes are intended to look like weak arm passes so the WR can come back for them. Down and out passes depend a lot on where the defender is in relationships with the WR. Mike Leach was probably the premier coach for QBs in college football and he started Will as a freshmen. If he felt Will was weak then why? It's all about technique. Here's my QB in action: Will Rogers
No, as a statement of fact it's not debatable. And everything else you post here disqualifies you to comment on this. You're too biased and homerish to opine. As you said "MY QB in action."

Will Rogers will tell you himself that he doesn't have the strongest arm. He has to cheat and get the ball out early because he doesn't have the arm strength to thread the needle. That's why most of his downfield passes, particularly outs, were lofted with touch instead of zipped.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
No, as a statement of fact it's not debatable. And everything else you post here disqualifies you to comment on this. You're too biased and homerish to opine. As you said "MY QB in action."

Will Rogers will tell you himself that he doesn't have the strongest arm. He has to cheat and get the ball out early because he doesn't have the arm strength to thread the needle. That's why most of his downfield passes, particularly outs, were lofted with touch instead of zipped.
So you've spoken with Will about his arm strength. Wow, what exactly did he say? Doesn't have the strongest arm? Compared to whom?

AFA my opinion is concerned you aren't qualified to disqualify any on SPS. My opinion is just as relevant as yours. BTW, lofted passes are timing routes designed to get the ball over the defenders head. Rifling a pass would result in an interception. That may show arm strength but it would be stupid.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So you've spoken with Will about his arm strength. Wow, what exactly did he say? Doesn't have the strongest arm? Compared to whom?

AFA my opinion is concerned you aren't qualified to disqualify any on SPS. My opinion is just as relevant as yours. BTW, lofted passes are timing routes designed to get the ball over the defenders head. Rifling a pass would result in an interception. That may show arm strength but it would be stupid.
Ok, boomer.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's not like weak arm is a big insult in this context. Danny Wuerffel (sp?) "lacked arm strength". So did Chad Pennington. Arm strength is important, but you can be a really good quarterback without the best arm strength. Will can make enough throws to be a good college QB. I'd rather have a QB with Will's arm strength and good decision making and accuracy than a QB with a plus arm and mediocre decision making. While a rocket of a arm would have helped Will last year, I'm not sure that was as big of an impediment as just not having a WR that could beat people downfield and win 50/50 balls.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It's not like weak arm is a big insult in this context. Danny Wuerffel (sp?) "lacked arm strength". So did Chad Pennington. Arm strength is important, but you can be a really good quarterback without the best arm strength. Will can make enough throws to be a good college QB. I'd rather have a QB with Will's arm strength and good decision making and accuracy than a QB with a plus arm and mediocre decision making. While a rocket of a arm would have helped Will last year, I'm not sure that was as big of an impediment as just not having a WR that could beat people downfield and win 50/50 balls.
I'm fine with Will's arm strength. My biggest concern is his pocket presence. Under pressure he has struggled to get rid of the ball or move effectively.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm fine with Will's arm strength. My biggest concern is his pocket presence. Under pressure he has struggled to get rid of the ball or move effectively.
Because he doesn't trust his arm to take shots. It's not rocket science.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
This is EXACTLY what I said. Joe Montana did not have a rifle. Elite NFL QB. Danny Wuefferl (spelling looks wrong) did not have a rifle. Elite College QB. His arm strength and lack of mobility are his weaknesses. That’s really it for him.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Because he doesn't trust his arm to take shots. It's not rocket science.
Throwing the ball short of a downfield receiver to not take a sack isn't rocket science as long as its past the LOS. I would rather not have an intercepted pass against a 3-8 defense by a QB that "trusts his arm". This season will tell a lot about our QB. So far he's beat out some pretty good QBs to keep starting at State and may set the record for SEC QBs. I'm looking forward to watching him break all the records.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Throwing the ball short of a downfield receiver to not take a sack isn't rocket science as long as its past the LOS. I would rather not have an intercepted pass against a 3-8 defense by a QB that "trusts his arm". This season will tell a lot about our QB. So far he's beat out some pretty good QBs to keep starting at State and may set the record for SEC QBs. I'm looking forward to watching him break all the records.
Will is fine. You're so unwilling to make an honest assessment of what he doesn't do so well that you're painting me as a will hater. I suspect his YPG, completions, attempts, and TD passes to all plummet this year. And at the same time, I expect him to be a much more efficient QB in a much more dynamic offense as a result.

Will is not a record setting QB because of his greatness. He's a record setting QB because of the system he was in, at a school that historically had a low threshold for "record breaking" because we have historically not thrown the ball well. When you overlay his record numbers with total offensive numbers and then compare those with previous seasons, you start to see just how mediocre we were offensively the last couple of years.

And checking the ball down to backs 25 times a game because you don't have the arm to throw a guy open over the middle is a problem. It's why we had so many stalled drives last year, and why we were so futile on third down.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login