Baseball De-emphasized

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
So there appears to be smoke that both MSU and Ole Miss are “making baseball less of a priority” more to do with coaches salaries, resources, etc …..So probably gone are the days where the MSU and Ole Miss coaching staff are in the top 5 paid staffs. Ole Miss is really over a barrel on what they are paying Bianco and assistants.
So will Lemonis and staff agree to make less $$$ to keep their jobs? Or is the case that the next MSU coach will make $500K instead of what Lemonis is currently making. Lemo is probably around $1.4 Million

Last edited:

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I'd rather put money and resources into sports we can excel at, but it isn't my job to read the tea leaves and make sure that money and resources are dumped where they turn into more money (not necessarily wins).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
So there appears to be smoke that both MSU and Ole Miss are “making baseball less of a priority” more to do with coaches salaries, resources, etc …..So probably gone are the days where the MSU and Ole Miss coaching staff are in the top 5 paid staffs. Ole Miss is really over a barrel on what they are paying Bianco and assistants.
So will Lemonis and staff agree to make less $$$ to keep their jobs? Or is the case that the next MSU coach will make $500K instead of what Lemonis is currently making. Lemo is probably around $1.4 Million
I could definitely see all schools cutting back on non revenue sports now that they have to pay players… but I’d also be shocked if state cuts back too much on baseball. I think baseball is essentially break even or maybe a small profit at state. As long as that continues, I think the status quo will continue… or at least I hope it will.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Difference is, Mississippi is really investing in football and getting great returns on their investment. Us? Not so much.
We certainly cheaped out on the HC hire, however it seems like we’re adding more auxiliary staff. We also are about 4 years behind Ole Miss in the modernization process. Loved Leach, but he wasn’t interested in positioning State to take advantage of the current landscape. Kiffin is and he and OM are reaping the benefits.

Oct 2, 2022
Mississippi schools trying to compete in the NIL
age is a losing proposition. If we were competing this year in baseball NIL we should have had a lot more talent. We had trouble getting kids that could throw properly and know the fundamentals of baseball. We may slipping into the Dark Ages of college sports as State fans unless we get Elon Musk as a sponsor.

Reactions: HRMSU

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
The ROI has to be very small even with then best programs. Like it or not, major college athletics is a business.
colin jost snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

patdog

May 28, 2007
age is a losing proposition. If we were competing this year in baseball NIL we should have had a lot more talent. We had trouble getting kids that could throw properly and know the fundamentals of baseball. We may slipping into the Dark Ages of college sports as State fans unless we get Elon Musk as a sponsor.
It seems to be a winning proposition for one Mississippi school.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
mad gran torino GIF

Welcome back to the board John Cohen

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So evidently a certain pod cast talked about this today?

Is &elmon floating his ideas out through a podcast?

I get now that baseball has facilities. You focus on football facilities. &elmom has mentioned a IPF for football However I think it would be a huge mistake to not pay for a top baseball coaching staff when the time comes.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I can see it now: travel ball is coming soon to the college level.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Lots of folks on this thread and others are forever defeatist when it comes to football. But but my baseball wins…. We have fans that post here that frankly are just scared to compete in football and would rather take the easy way and say we can’t compete or we should just invest in baseball. This fan base needs to be all in on football and stop trying to make a non revenue sport something it isn’t.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I have a hard time believing we’d make cuts on baseball given that the Dude is still so new. That would make that investment worthless if we don’t field decent teams in the future.
Good team, bad team doesn’t matter. People will show up for the outfield party and the chair backs are already bought.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
He took the Texas job the next season. It’s likely he knew he would have better opportunities if he waited one year.

We had very few options because we waited until after the bowl to make a move.
He didn’t turn us down. Cohen overthought the hire

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I hope we never have to find out how wrong you are (again) on people continually showing for a bad team. That’s a terrible take but it’s par for the course.
I mean I don’t want to be bad. But being bad isn’t going to keep people from coming out. We’ve been bad past few years and people showed up.

reality is if you took the grills and coolers out of the outfield half the people wouldn’t show up. Half the people out there are there for the party and the game is 2nd.

so the people are going to keep going to the outfield as long as that isn’t changed.. and to get a chair back you had to buy it for a 10 year period. So the chair backs are sold.

so with all that being stated, it doesn’t matter if we win or lose. It’s not going to effect the bottom line and people are going to show up

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Sounds like both schools reached the top of the mountain and realized college baseball doesn’t quite move the needle like other sports.
I don’t think it’s so much a decision to”de-emphasize” baseball. I think NIL and the ever moving goalposts for football and player compensation is going to strain every school to cut back everywhere they can just to keep all their programs running. The reality is football is still king, even for a traditionally strong baseball school.

Reactions: Maroon13

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
FOLOS. Fear of losing our seats. We’ve been doing it at Ole Miss / Swayze for years. Hope can be an expensive vice when it comes to college sports.
This. We just had a rough 3 year stretch. People will show up next year. And if next year we take a step backward, people will
Show up the year after

People said if they change the outfield… and they came after the change happened

There is 0% chance in the near future of people stopping to show up regardless of how good or bad the team is… and with the baked in paid attendance numbers no one will ever know the difference

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Lots of folks on this thread and others are forever defeatist when it comes to football. But but my baseball wins…. We have fans that post here that frankly are just scared to compete in football and would rather take the easy way and say we can’t compete or we should just invest in baseball. This fan base needs to be all in on football and stop trying to make a non revenue sport something it isn’t.
Scared to compete? Do you think this is 7th grade and we're afraid to go to practice because it might hurt?

17 me... Why did Jeanspage have to fold and bring the panty-waste (no not waist, I'm talking about the discharge) to this board?

Here's a simple fact. We are the poorest school in the conference. With the poorest alumni/donor base. You can squeeze the shìt out of the turnip all you want, but it ain't gonna give you a pot of gold. The little resources it takes to make baseball competitive won't move the needle in football long term, but pulling it for a few years from baseball will be devastating.

We need a football coach that identifies undeveloped talent or runs a unique scheme that gives us an edge nobody else is working. We aren't going to win the money game. Get that through your thick, soft skulls rubes.

Nobody is saying defund football, hell they get the lion's share and should. I love football. Makes my dìck so hard the cat can't scratch it. By all means give more if you can... but mother17er baseball is America. Mississippi State Baseball is a big fat stiff eagle còck holding up the walls of collegiate baseball and in a way, America itself. We get 60+ games a year to root on our team, in a sport most of us grew up playing and still love. A vote to defund Mississippi State baseball, is a vote to defund America... You want to defund America you commie summabìtch? Are you Rebel scum? Eat a dìck. Wear a braided leather belt. Dress like a 58 year old lesbian. Go back to Jeanspage.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He took the Texas job the next season. It’s likely he knew he would have better opportunities if he waited one year.

We had very few options because we waited until after the bowl to make a move.
Sark wanted the job and we were really close to hiring him. I mean, it was reallllllllllly close and we changed our minds.

Reactions: FormerBully

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The rest of the SEC 2024:

"College baseball is the only sport Mississippi State doesn't truly suck at..."

Mississippi State:
"Well we'll see about that. We're pulling resources from baseball."

The rest of the SEC 2025:

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
Except we've been middle of the pack in both football and baseball, if football took 64 teams for a playoff, football would look better than it is as well. We've won one SEC championship since 1989 in baseball. We played for the SEC championship in football in 1998. There's really little difference. We just have a lot of fans that think we created baseball, and we did create SEC baseball. But it's not some crazy elite program now. We had a great 5 year run or so before it came apart.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Scared to compete? Do you think this is 7th grade and we're afraid to go to practice because it might hurt?

17 me... Why did Jeanspage have to fold and bring the panty-waste (no not waist, I'm talking about the discharge) to this board?

Here's a simple fact. We are the poorest school in the conference. With the poorest alumni/donor base. You can squeeze the shìt out of the turnip all you want, but it ain't gonna give you a pot of gold. The little resources it takes to make baseball competitive won't move the needle in football long term, but pulling it for a few years from baseball will be devastating.

We need a football coach that identifies undeveloped talent or runs a unique scheme that gives us an edge nobody else is working. We aren't going to win the money game. Get that through your thick, soft skulls rubes.

Nobody is saying defund football, hell they get the lion's share and should. I love football. Makes my dìck so hard the cat can't scratch it. By all means give more if you can... but mother17er baseball is America. Mississippi State Baseball is a big fat stiff eagle còck holding up the walls of collegiate baseball and in a way, America itself. We get 60+ games a year to root on our team, in a sport most of us grew up playing and still love. A vote to defund Mississippi State baseball, is a vote to defund America... You want to defund America you commie summabìtch? Are you Rebel scum? Eat a dìck. Wear a braided leather belt. Dress like a 58 year old lesbian. Go back to Jeanspage.
Nice post. But we aren’t holding up the walls of college baseball. The College baseball landscape will be the same if we are great or we are average

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Football has been above .500 in SEC play 7 times in the last 60 years.
Which would still get us into a 64 team playoff a crap ton of years. People act like it's the worst program and it's not. They pick us last every year and it just doesn't happen. SEC football was so fixed for years with being forced to travel every year to certain schools etc. imagine if we had actually tried at football. Smallest budget in the SEC. Crap hires by crap money hungry ADs so they could feed baseball. Nothing is changing with baseball except the fans are going to be forced to support it more financially with things like increased pricing for the LFL. Take away football income and baseball dies too.

Last edited: