Baseball De-emphasized

patdog

May 28, 2007
If Selmon is all he is built up to be by State fans, he will up our contributions and NIL. He has done a good job on raising prices on little things to squeeze the little man but lets see some big fish reeled in.
He's not.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Ok sure I'm for it, but that means probably an additional $25 million a year beyond current contributions, between NIL, salaries, and facilities. Where's that coming from? That's an additional 25 grand from each of our top 1000 givers. Or finding an additional 25,000 people to give $1000 each (beyond tickets/BC).

Gotta tell you, I don't see it. And that really sucks.
Easy - add an additional $1000 student fee to everyone's tuition.šŸ˜…

Reactions: dorndawg

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
For me personally, Iā€™m de-emphasizing college sports in general. The current climate just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Once you take the collegiate nature of college sports away, weā€™re just left withā€¦ ****** pro sports.

I am devoting my time to coaching my kidā€™s youth baseball team, and for the first time in many years, I plan on doing some serious hunting and fishing. I have discretionary income, but I just donā€™t care enough about making some 18 year old kid, whoā€™s a stranger to me, wealthy. Greed has ruined this.
Does it also have to do with USM essentially being handed the death penalty due to conference realignment?

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
He's not.
Selmon seems to be doing a good job so far. Too early to tell how everything will pan out - will depend on Lebbyā€™s success mostly. Truthfully, Iā€™ve mostly seen negative comments about Selmon on this board. So the ā€œState fans are building him upā€ comment doesnā€™t align with reality

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Uh ohā€¦.Ole Miss not moving forward with plan to renovate Swayze fieldā€¦. But but your wrong there is no de emphasizing baseballā€¦
We were fortunate to get the new Dude built before the tectonic plates of college sports shifted. Might be one of the last great stadiums built by a non-top 10 athletic department.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We were fortunate to get the new Dude built before the tectonic plates of college sports shifted. Might be one of the last great stadiums built by a non-top 10 athletic department.
So what are we going to be doing with the New Dude in 10 years if there is no NCAA Baseball?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Does it also have to do with USM essentially being handed the death penalty due to conference realignment?
Honestly? A little bit. But itā€™s not the overriding concern for me. I resigned myself years ago to the fact that Southern Miss is a mid-major, and all that goes along with it. I can happily watch a football game against La Tech or Coastal Carolina knowing full well that the national ramifications are next to zilch. I enjoy watching my team win a football game. But I really enjoy the collegiate aspect of the game. I enjoy basketball, to an extent. Winning a conference title is fun. I used to be a season ticket holder for baseball.

The joy of it all has diminished for me. USM is my first loyalty, but Iā€™m a pretty big State fan too, because of family ties. I agree that players should be treated fairly, but being paid professionals? I canā€™t really get behind that. The exorbitant coaching salaries and palatial facilities started this. Maybe it wouldā€™ve been put off if the monies were allocated to other aspects of the universities. Maybe not. In any case, the regional nature of college sports is all but dead. Everything that made being a college fan great is going away. I foresee the non-revenue sports dying on the vine almost everywhere as well. We 17ed it all up.