Basketball vs Georgia St

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
Pathetic lazy fanbase. We had worse teams that people gave way more of **** about.

Last edited:

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
At what point is it the athletic department / marketing for not doing something about it? I guess they're really hoping the renovations will solve it by itself.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It looks and sounds like there may not be 800 people there

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What could marketing possibly do about this? Its a mediocre program in a lightly populated area that plays often on weeknights and every game is on TV. And plays most home games against opponents that are not interesting.

Tickets to tonights game are $1. So what marketing strategy can we employ to fix this?

You sound like Leeshouldnthaveposted.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
This is why I never talk about firing Howland anymore. I don’t think he’s a good coach but nobody worth a damn is taking this job.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
Our fans ***** and *****, but fail to realize the lack of support is 100% part of the issue. We had momentum both in 2018-19 and 19-20, and plenty of opportunity show we care. We didn’t though and it’s effing pathetic

Honestly we’re lucky to have a team this good

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Hire the right coach and the fans will be there.

Lady Bulldogs a few years ago.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Our fans ***** and *****, but fail to realize the lack of support is 100% part of the issue. We had momentum both in 2018-19 and 19-20, and plenty of opportunity show we care. We didn’t though and it’s effing pathetic

Honestly we’re lucky to have a team this good

1 tourney trip in over a decade does that. This team isn't good. And put the students back where they were before our AD killed the atmosphere for $$.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I genuinely have no idea what needs to be done to fix the basketball program. And i don’t think it has anything to do with the population around Starkville Bc our womens program was packing out the stadium on weeknights just a few years ago. It should be a deep dive episode on T&L. And I don’t think the team winning will just magically bring fans back. It seems there is a real conflict between the program and fans. Whether it was the students section, the reseating, the Stans downfall, Ray hire or a collection of all of it, Cohen has a tough job trying to fix it. Hell, he’s had five years and has basically tried nothing other than just hoping Howland starts winning big. It seems our athletic department doesn’t even care about Men’s basketball

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
People act like our losses are so ******* bad. They aren’t, we lost to Louisville, an 8-1 Minnesota team, and a ranked 10-0 CO state.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Who the 17 is this Carter kid and where has he been? I know you guys are already picking out a successor for a basketball team coach but I'm still trying to see what I can salvage of the season nothing else to do until baseball gets here.

ETA:Fountain needs more playing time.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
People act like our losses are so ******* bad. They aren’t, we lost to Louisville, an 8-1 Minnesota team, and a ranked 10-0 CO state.

The problem is those were our only chances at good OOC wins and we lost all 3. Now we will have to win 12 conference games (IMO) to get in. I don’t think it happens.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I won’t give the fans a total pass for the last few years, but I will say it’s hard to stay invested when your coach’s personality and his offense are about as interesting as a jar of mayonnaise, and the program has proven to be totally incapable of sustaining momentum within a season.

We are better than we were under Rick Ray, cool. We got to that point sometime around 2017. What progress has been made since then? Outside of one run in 2019 with three NBA players on the roster, we’ve spun our wheels for about five years. And even the one run we did have ended with a cup of coffee in the Big Dance and a super frustrating loss to Liberty.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Nah. We just needed our OOC to not hurt us. Barring the unexpected it won't as long as we finish top 6 in the SEC we should be in.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Fountain needs more playing time.

Oh and I love the fact that little Stans got a bucket on his birthday. It warms my heart.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

All 3 tourney teams from what it looks like, and we aren't tourney ready yet but I think we'll get there.

I've never seen any SEC team with as much depth as we have. We should be able to work and run any team off the court.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
The problem is those were our only chances at good OOC wins and we lost all 3. Now we will have to win 12 conference games (IMO) to get in. I don’t think it happens.

It’s like some of these people haven’t watched a selection show in the past decade. Yes those are “good” teams we lost to but 1 was at home and 2 were on a neutral court. If you want to have a resume worthy of a decent seeding, you have to win at least 2 of those.

If we are 10-8 in the league and left out of the Dance, this is the reason why. We will have no help with the OOC by losing all 3 of those games. Then these same people will be on here bitching about the committee and not understand why they slighted our amazing MSU team.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
All 3 tourney teams from what it looks like, and we aren't tourney ready yet but I think we'll get there.

I've never seen any SEC team with as much depth as we have. We should be able to work and run any team off the court.

We are coached by Ben Howland not Nolan Richardson. We aren’t going to run any team off that court. And we aren’t going to beat anybody with depth either. You’ve already seen, against good competition, we have an 8 man rotation.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And zero desire to press or push tempo in anyway. Its the worst use of ridiculously athletic players imaginable.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
You know what pisses me off? I’m watching this Memphis game right now, and they are barley 500 and have a huge *** crowd. We won’t have a quarter of that vs Bama.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
It’s like some of these people haven’t watched a selection show in the past decade. Yes those are “good” teams we lost to but 1 was at home and 2 were on a neutral court. If you want to have a resume worthy of a decent seeding, you have to win at least 2 of those.

If we are 10-8 in the league and left out of the Dance, this is the reason why. We will have no help with the OOC by losing all 3 of those games. Then these same people will be on here bitching about the committee and not understand why they slighted our amazing MSU team.

10-8 won’t get it done. 11-7 maybe but it’s bubble time and we could easily get left out. That’s why I said 12 wins is what we need. The wild card is the Texas Tech game. They’re ranked 25 right now, if they can stay ranked and we win that could swing things in our favor a bit.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
You know what pisses me off? I’m watching this Memphis game right now, and they are barley 500 and have a huge *** crowd. We won’t have a quarter of that vs Bama.

That’s not a fair assessment. Memphis cares more about basketball than any other sport and they had the #1 recruiting class in the nation.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
That’s not a fair assessment. Memphis cares more about basketball than any other sport and they had the #1 recruiting class in the nation.

Once again not an excuse. We used to have crowds like that. They are 5-4 with all that recurring. The difference is that the fanbase actually gets behind the team, even when they are way more down then they should be.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Once again not an excuse. We used to have crowds like that. They are 5-4 with all that recurring. The difference is that the fanbase actually gets behind the team, even when they are way more down then they should be.

There are excuses and there are reasons. I’m giving you reasons why Memphis has a great crowd. They just beat Bama and it wasn’t some fluke, they were preseason top 10 for a reason. Preseason top 10, number 1 recruiting class, it’s not hard to see why they have a packed house. If we had those same things we would be rocking too.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
You're wondering why we no longer have big crowds while the thread currently directly above this one is about YouTubeTV/Cable and it's three times longer than this one.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
I’m a huge Bulldog fan and I couldn’t name our starting 5 if you paid me $100. Firing Stansbury, hiring Rick Ray, 17’ng up the seating in the Hump, and hiring a coach that runs a scheme from 1991 all contribute to people just not giving a 17. I’ve tried to get interested over the past five years but every time I get excited the team/coach/program craps the bed again. It’s gotten old and predictable, like Howland’s offense.

Hire a young exciting coach (Pat Kelsey would be a good pick) and I’ll get interested again. Until then I’ve seen this movie before and the ending sucks.

Last edited:

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
There are excuses and there are reasons. I’m giving you reasons why Memphis has a great crowd. They just beat Bama and it wasn’t some fluke, they were preseason top 10 for a reason. Preseason top 10, number 1 recruiting class, it’s not hard to see why they have a packed house. If we had those same things we would be rocking too.

they lost to Iowa state, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Murray State. We lost to Louisville, Minnesota, and Colorado state. In addition both teams went to the NIT final last year. So prior to the Bama win Memphis did not have any better of a resume then we do, yet the fanbase is excited. we will have a weak *** crowd for a top 25 Arkansas team. Continue to make effing excuses. It’s sad. If our fanbase would actually give a ****, the program would rise. Just because the product is imperfect doesn’t mean it’s bot worth getting behind. Continue to be a bunch of fair weather fans, and see where that gets us. I love these comments about boring basketball. Such weak *** ****. I mean we get behind an average football team every single year. Why not basketball?

Last edited:

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
Also we brought in a ton of transfer talent from blue bloods this year and no one cared. Once upon a time under Howland we had a top ten class, and it still didn’t put asses in seats. Like at this point it’s nothing but laziness from our fanbase.

Last edited:

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
I’m a huge Bulldog fan and I couldn’t name our starting 5 if you paid me $100. Firing Stansbury, hiring Rick Ray, 17’ng up the seating in the Hump, and hiring a coach that runs a scheme from 1991 all contribute to people just not giving a 17. I’ve tried to get interested over the past five years but every time I get excited the team/coach/program craps the bed again. It’s gotten old and predictable, like Howland’s offense.

Hire a young exciting coach (Pat Kelsey would be a good pick) and I’ll

get interested again. Until then I’ve seen this movie before and the ending sucks.[/QUOTE/]

You act like getting behind a decent/good basketball team is chore. This is the weakest mindset I ever heard. Congrats everyone, thanks to this exact attitude, we went from a top SEC basketball environment to one of the weakest in the country.

Also I love how people still use the Rick Ray years as an excuse. Good day

Last edited:

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013

Hire a young exciting coach (Pat Kelsey would be a good pick) and I’ll

get interested again. Until then I’ve seen this movie before and the ending sucks.[/QUOTE/]

You act like getting behind a decent/good basketball team is chore. This is the weakest mindset I ever heard. Congrats everyone, thanks to this exact attitude, we went from a top SEC basketball environment to one of the weakest in the country.

Also I love how people still use the Rick Ray years as an excuse. Good day

Look John, you don’t have to like it but it’s the truth. Our leadership dismantled the basketball program, not the fan base.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Need to market hell out of the game in Starkville and surrounding area.
Need to turn at least 50% of the lower tier back to the students and do everything possible to draw them there. Students provide the atmosphere not just for the players but for the rest of the fans. We need to build the experience for them so we have future fans/donors.
Reduce overall capacity as part of the reconstruction.
Folks are just not going to be attending events like this as much in the future and there are many factors involved: most people will choose to watch from the comfort of home or the comfort of their phone so they can do other things and don't have to interact directly with another human or group of humans.
And these days, people's attention spans are too short for a basketball game - particularly at the pace we're playing.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login