Best Surprise Ending to a movie

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Andy escaped and others got their comeuppances? Isn't that what was expected? Am i missing something?
They acted like Andy had hung himself in his cell. This was based on a Steven king book, so completely possible. Then when they show his cell he had completely disappeared. When he threw that statue threw the poster and then tore the poster off the wall my head almost exploded. The twist that he had been escaping for years and no one, including me as the viewer, had any idea.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
If you haven't seen it, you need to check out Nate Bargatze's bit on The Sixth Sense

Craig Kilborn ruined the ending of the Sixth Sense on the old Late Late Show. Didn't realize how crappy that was until I saw the movie 2 days later.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Football season is over and things are slow. I hope this isn’t Germans.

One of my favorite kinds of movies are ones with surprise endings that you didn’t see coming. Just list the name of the movie without giving away the surprise so you don’t spoil it for anybody who may not have seen it.

I’ll go first with some of the obvious ones, ones that I really didn’t see coming:

1. Fight Club
2. The Usual Suspects
3. The Sixth Sense

I could name several more but I’m looking forward to recommendations for ones that I haven’t seen.

Go
I can't really think of a movie that isn't listed here, but if I was forced, I would say Insomnia. It's been forever since I've seen it, so I don't remember the ending so much as I remember it being Robin Wiliams best work. I am not going to say anything else about it so I don't ruin it, except that in my opinion it is the best work Christopher Nolan has done except the Dark Knight trilogy.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They acted like Andy had hung himself in his cell. This was based on a Steven king book, so completely possible. Then when they show his cell he had completely disappeared. When he threw that statue threw the poster and then tore the poster off the wall my head almost exploded. The twist that he had been escaping for years and no one, including me as the viewer, had any idea.
Gotcha, I'm not a fan of that movie.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Primal Fear is the one that immediately comes to mind.

More recently, it would have to be Where the Crawdads Sing.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

One of my favorite kinds of movies are ones with surprise endings that you didn’t see coming. Just list the name of the movie without giving away the surprise so you don’t spoil it for anybody who may not have seen it.

I’ll go first with some of the obvious ones, ones that I really didn’t see coming:

1. Fight Club
2. The Usual Suspects
3. The Sixth Sense

I could name several more but I’m looking forward to recommendations for ones that I haven’t seen.

Go
Lucky number slevin

Reactions: PhredPhantom

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Se7en
The Usual Suspects

I figured out Sixth Sense during one scene where she not only ignored him but didn't react to him at all. Pissed me off.

I love movies so I like all of these suggestions. You've given me a binge theme.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Also - one of my favorites - virtually every episode of every season of 24. Maybe I’m just too easily fooled. In fact, the last episode of Season 1 caught me *completely* by surprise.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I was just sitting here thinking about that. Great little 80's movie with a tight script. Costner, Hackman... and then Sean Young was at peak hotness.

Lots of great character actors in that one too. Solid movie and definitely a twist.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The lead actress kept finding herself in a lot of sticky situations. Especially that one scene where the mailman was trying to get in through the back door to deliver his package.

This line of comments feels like it could get off the rails soon. Get off soon, get it??

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
"Little Miss Sunshine." Not sure I've ever laughed harder in a movie theater. Thought I was going to hyperventilate.

Reactions: willi13

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Titanic***

I was actually in total shock that they killed off Decaprio. I expected geriatric Rose to be standing near the rail on that ship ready to toss a multi-million dollar diamond into the sea when at the last moment some old geezer puts his hand on hers to stop her. And there stands Jack with a freaking pencil in his hand ready to draw some saggy boobs. This would have been a much more typical chick flick ending.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

1. Fight Club
2. The Usual Suspects
3. The Sixth Sense

Go
TITANIC

i never saw it coming that the old woman dropping that diamond back in the ocean. DAMB shame

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login