Best Surprise Ending to a movie

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Angel Heart... all of my others were taken already. not really a great movie but definitely a suprise ending...

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Citizen Kane
Darkness (obscure movie featuring Anna Paquin)
Clue (17er had THREE endings!!)

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Football season is over and things are slow. I hope this isn’t Germans.

One of my favorite kinds of movies are ones with surprise endings that you didn’t see coming. Just list the name of the movie without giving away the surprise so you don’t spoil it for anybody who may not have seen it.

I’ll go first with some of the obvious ones, ones that I really didn’t see coming:

1. Fight Club
2. The Usual Suspects
3. The Sixth Sense

I could name several more but I’m looking forward to recommendations for ones that I haven’t seen.

Go
Witness for the Prosecution

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
A Few Good Men kinda shocked me in the end. (Col Jessup was still right you know)

Also , have y'all seen that one where STATE sinks 6 straight free throws to clinch the win?

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have a buddy who swears he saw it coming, I'm like, yeah right.
I figured it out before I went into the theatre just from people telling me it was such a surprise ending. I had seen the commercials for it. A friend who had already seen told me it was such a shocking twist. I said obviously Bruce Willis is already dead.

Last edited:

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008

One of my favorite kinds of movies are ones with surprise endings that you didn’t see coming. Just list the name of the movie without giving away the surprise so you don’t spoil it for anybody who may not have seen it.

I’ll go first with some of the obvious ones, ones that I really didn’t see coming:

1. Fight Club
2. The Usual Suspects
3. The Sixth Sense

I could name several more but I’m looking forward to recommendations for ones that I haven’t seen.

Go
Donnie Darko

Reactions: She Mate Me

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I've seen several people mention The Mist. Yes, that was an insane surprise. However, it pissed me off something fierce. In fact, I'm still salty about it.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

1. Fight Club
2. The Usual Suspects
3. The Sixth Sense

Go
Nowadays a surprise ending is if I am still awake.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

1. Fight Club
2. The Usual Suspects
3. The Sixth Sense

Go
The one where the Mississippi State Bulldogs use timely short range jump shots and clutch free-throw shooting to get past the 1st round of the 2023 NCAA Basketball Tournament.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The one where the Mississippi State Bulldogs use timely short range jump shots and clutch free-throw shooting to get past the 1st round of the 2023 NCAA Basketball Tournament.

I think it's called

Dream a Little Dream that Never Comes True

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
The absolute WORST ending has to be the The Abyss. Complete waste of five minutes of film for what was otherwise a good flick.

Reactions: She Mate Me

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Scream. The first one, the sequels aren't as good. Great send-up of 80's horror movie tropes and a couple of pretty cool twists. One in the beginning, one at the end.

ETA: Didn't mention a lot of films already listed here because they've already been listed but yeah Sixth Sense, Planet of the Apes (original), The Usual Suspects, and Fight Club are always pretty popular mentions for twist endings.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Not a fan of Shawshank?

I'm going to suggest you keep that close to the ole vest, lest ye be judged
Sorry, not into gay stuff.

But if you're surprised by the ending, I'm assuming you're surprised by the ending of Titanic, Rudy, any Hallmark Christmas movie or a State/Bama football game.

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Sorry, not into gay stuff.

But if you're surprised by the ending, I'm assuming you're surprised by the ending of Titanic, Rudy, any Hallmark Christmas movie or a State/Bama football game.

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

Damn, not into light hearted ribbing I see.

I definitely don't think about gay stuff when Shawshank crosses my mind.

I understand going against the consensus, believe me. I just happen to agree with the many who think it's one of the better films ever made.

And I don't think of it when I think of surprise endings, because I've seen it so many times. But that was a surprise first time through.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Tigr2ndbase

Jul 12, 2015
One I haven’t seen mentioned is Arlington Road. I’ll say the ending that hit me the hardest was Infinity War. The build up to Thanos for so many movies then watching everyone get dusted left me speechless for a while. I remember going home and my wife saying I look like I’ve seen a ghost. I was just numb.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011

1. Fight Club
2. The Usual Suspects
3. The Sixth Sense

Go
The Outfit

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login