Big Ten, SEC to talk possible scheduling partnership

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For all you folks who were crying about the SEC/BIG 10 dissolving and forming a super conference. That's not how wielding power works. They are "not part" of the path forward, they are the path forward.

The top two or three presidents/ADs who "influence" the conference (Bama, UGA?) where never going to share power with TOSU and Michigan.

They may potentially bring in some additional members (UNC would be the ultimate prize for the SEC), but everyone already in either league is safe.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You had to know this was coming. Get ready for 9 SEC games + a Big 10 game and maybe an ACC/Big 12 game too.
Yep. Paying big money to everyone, big rosters, big TV contracts.....you got to have the big games. I bet the FCS games go away. Getting 4 teams in the playoff, minimum and regardless of record, is the hook that will get Sankey to do this. People are tired of having those gimme games (well, except Lebby).

I hope they also expand the playoff to 16. I think a lot of people would be for that. And get rid of the conference championship games.....they are useless. The extra playoff games will more than make up for that money. I mean shlt you have teams angling to NOT have to play the extra game right now, but still slide in the playoff. Conference title means nothing now. Think of them like the basketball and baseball tourneys.

And all of this is worse for MSU. It just keeps coming.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Slight side topic, but I happened to be reading about conference TV deals this past weekend, and I'd forgotten about these numbers

SEC: 10 year deal beginning in 2024 that pays 300M annually or 18.75M/yr per school
Big10: 7 year deal beginning in 2022 that pays 1,142M anually or 63.4M/yr per school

Am I completely missing something or did the SEC negotiate the latest round of TV contracts very poorly?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Slight side topic, but I happened to be reading about conference TV deals this past weekend, and I'd forgotten about these numbers

SEC: 10 year deal beginning in 2024 that pays 300M annually or 18.75M/yr per school
Big10: 7 year deal beginning in 2022 that pays 1,142M anually or 63.4M/yr per school

Am I completely missing something or did the SEC negotiate the latest round of TV contracts very poorly?
That's not right. Pretty much all the writers were saying that the SEC would eclipse the B1G in overall payout. I see the same numbers you see, but I can't imagine all these people are that bad at math. I'm guessing there's another big pot of cash somewhere, and this is in addition to that one.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
That's not right. Pretty much all the writers were saying that the SEC would eclipse the B1G in overall payout. I see the same numbers you see, but I can't imagine all these people are that bad at math. I'm guessing there's another big pot of cash somewhere, and this is in addition to that one.
Thats just for the old 2:30 CBS Game of the Week which ABC now has....

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I’m sure the big schools will be perfectly happy to keep sharing revenue with us. Nothing to worry about.***

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m sure the big schools will be perfectly happy to keep sharing revenue with us. Nothing to worry about.***
Think they'd rather share revenue with us or with TOSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc?

Think Bama would rather trade a regular season game with State for a game against TOSU?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Think they'd rather share revenue with us or with TOSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc?

Think Bama would rather trade a regular season game with State for a game against TOSU?
It’s precious you think Bama will make the decision. TV execs will make it. And they would much rather have anyone but us.

Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
It’s precious you think Bama will make the decision. TV execs will make it. And they would much rather have anyone but us.
Yes tv networks have replaced the ncaa as a governing body

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login