Biggest surprise of USC game

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
USC’s time management / lack of urgency in their final drive in regulation!
Lincoln Riley said that was intentional after they lost yards on a first down play. They didn't want to leave time on the clock for PSU. It's not a terrible idea once you're behind the sticks in that situation. Others will probably argue it shows a lack of confidence in your offense, your best unit, to win the game. Both arguments are valid and that situation was a tricky one, it think it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Unless USC had scored I think fans criticize either decision in hindsight.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Lincoln Riley said that was intentional after they lost yards on a first down play. They didn't want to leave time on the clock for PSU. It's not a terrible idea once you're behind the sticks in that situation. Others will probably argue it shows a lack of confidence in your offense, your best unit, to win the game. Both arguments are valid and that situation was a tricky one, it think it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Unless USC had scored I think fans criticize either decision in hindsight.
I liked the decision…not a bad idea to make the worst case scenario OT after losing yards.

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021

But once they got a first down or two they still were in a sleepwalking mode.

CbusLion

Oct 28, 2021
Our inability to effectively run against the USC defense.
I believe the running game with either RB would have been more effective as our OL wore down their front 7, but PSU bailed on that strategy when it became apparent early that the USC offense was going to put up points.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I believe the running game with either RB would have been more effective as our OL wore down their front 7, but PSU bailed on that strategy when it became apparent early that the USC offense was going to put up points.
I can’t help but think that missing the TD on the first drive set a negative tone.

Reactions: OhioLion

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
If there was more time on the clock, we probably win in regulation after the interception. If the last pass is complete they probably win in regulation. Doesn't seem like the clock management was all that bad.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login