Billy Napier

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You dont have an issue with going for two at the end. Well that’s exactly what Napier did. He just did it ahead of time to give himself the cushion of being able to make up for on the second TD. Its why you have started see pro teams start doing this.

As for the stat he was talking about being on the road and a two score dog. Not just being on the road.

And even is the stat may be wrong, the point of that and overall point is this wasn’t some math error or dumb decision. He made a strategic move.

Last edited by a moderator:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Difference is, at the end of the game, you have a lot more information than you do with 5 minutes remaining to make a decision. What if UT had kicked a FG? Now, instead of being down 13 with 2 TDs to win, you need 2 TDs just to tie.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If worst case is a tie, I’m sure he is fine with that. In fact he took that into account know a miss 2 pt and then a made 2 pt is a tie.

But more importantly his particular scenario certainly anticipates your defense having to hold - and likely be 3&out- so you can get the ball back with time left. So TN driving and kicking a FG ends the game anyway.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Is Florida a natural national power program? Or was Spurrier just a damn good coach with a unique scheme at just the right time?

prior to Spurrier, wasn't Florida pretty much what they are now or post Spurrier? Galen Hall had some success but he got hammered by the ncaa.

Fun fact: Florida was the last "new" team to win a National Championship in the FBS (as recognized by a reputable organization) in 1996. Every team that has won a national championship since has been a retread. I could be wrong, but running through the list of recognized national champions, I think we're currently in our longest drought of new champions since the 1920's.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Really? I'd like to see the 2-point conversion chart that says go for 2 when you're down by 11.

When down by 11. If you go for one making it a 10 pt game, you have to go score two times, a TD and a FG to tie.

Now, if you go for two and convert, you are down by 9. TD and FG to win the game.
If you do not convert, you still need a TD and a FG, but have to go for Two to tie.

If you believe you can be 50% or better from 2Pt attempts, you go for it on the first go. It may be the difference in a FG to tie and a FG to win the game outright.

Either way, you have to kick two extra points correctly, or get one of two 2 pt conversions, and weird **** happens on XP for the tie as time expires.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login