Bowl Projections: post-Week 10

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Trend from the previous listing will be marked as ▲,▼, or -, if available. Due to SEC bowl tiers, some trends are subjective.

CBS: Liberty vs Kansas State -
CFN: Texas Bowl vs Texas ▲
SaturdayDownSouth: Texas Bowl vs Kansas State -
247 Sports: Texas Bowl vs Kansas State -
Brett McMurphy: Texas Bowl vs Kansas State -
USA Today: Duke's Mayo Bowl vs UVA -
Last Word in Sports: Birmingham Bowl vs ECU ▼
Sporting News: Birmingham Bowl vs Houston ▼
College Sports Madness: Music City vs Purdue -
Athlon Sports: Liberty vs West Virginia ▲
Yahoo Sports: Birmingham vs Liberty (new)

ESPN Insider and/or The Athletic updates appreciated.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
As discussed by Robbie and Brian this week, there’s the outside shot that 9 SEC teams are bowling and it gets even more crowded for regular bowls if Alabama doesn’t make the playoff.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
As discussed by Robbie and Brian this week, there’s the outside shot that 9 SEC teams are bowling and it gets even more crowded for regular bowls if Alabama doesn’t make the playoff.

Assuming Georgia to the playoff ...

It would be Alabama to the Sugar as top SEC available
The A&M/Ole Miss winner will likely be in a New Years 6 slot (would be Sugar if both Alabama and Georgia make playoff)
The A&M/Ole Miss loser or maybe Auburn will be in the Citrus

Then there are the six bowls that the SEC chooses. This is where we want to be. A win over Auburn or Ole Miss would seal it.

Liberty, Music City, Gator, Outback, Texas, Duke's Mayo

Birmingham gets the next pick, and the Gasparilla Bowl has a conditional pick of an SEC team if one is available.

That's 11 definite bowl spots for SEC teams and possibly 12.

Right now, 7 teams have absolute bowl eligibility (Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, A&M, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas)

Only Mississippi State has implied bowl eligibility (5 wins plus FCS team on the schedule).

Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Missouri and LSU are mathematically alive, but its unlikely more than 3 of these will qualify. I actually think Birmingham doesnt get an SEC team this year, and if they do, it will be Missouri or South Carolina.

So where does the SEC send us if we end up in the Group of 6 zone?

1. We have been to 5 of the 6 bowls in this tier in the last 9 years. The Texas Bowl is the only one we haven't been to. The SEC could send us here as a "new destination."
2. We haven't been to the Liberty since 2013. The SEC could send us here as a close destination bowl. However, we have played in the stadium this season, so that may be a deterrent.
3. We haven't been to the Gator since 2017 (We went 2 out of 3 seasons here earlier in the decade, so it seems like we have been more). The SEC could send us to Jacksonville again, but I doubt it.
4. The Duke's Mayo Bowl was the Belk Bowl when we were last there in 2015. This would be a weird spot for us to end up this year IMO, but if chaos were to happen in the last three weeks? Who knows.
5. The Music City Bowl is like the Duke's Mayo Bowl - seems like a strange fit for this season. And we were just there in 2019.
6. The Outback Bowl does not want Mississippi State. I don't think we will ever be back there, ever.

My guess is that we end up in the Texas or Liberty. If A&M goes to the NY6, we would actually be the closest available team to Houston if LSU doesnt sneak into bowl eligibility.

But here's a scenario worth discussing - what if we win out and get to 8-4, while Ole Miss and Auburn drop their games to A&M and Alabama, respectively.

That would have us third in the West, with wins over the second place team in both the East and West. The Citrus Bowl would have to pick between us, Auburn and Ole Miss (and we would have beaten both).

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
So, let's win out. The scenario where we don't lose any more games seems like a good option.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think Florida will get to a bowl. If Bama wins out and the only GA loss is the SEC championship, both Alabama and GA get's into the playoff.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If Alabama loses again they’re out. No way a 2 loss team gets in unless there’s chaos and a lot of the top 10 lose as well.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I agree. But it doesnt change the bowl order. Alabama at a minimum will get a NY6 invite. If Texas A&M/Ole Miss/Auburn end up in the top 12, they will too.

The best bowl for Mississippi State begins with Texas A&M beating Ole Miss this week.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
ESPN+: Autozone Liberty Bowl

Bonagura: Kansas State vs. Mississippi State
Schlabach: Texas vs. Mississippi State

ETA: This is from Nov 7, 2021

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If two SEC teams make the playoff then someone will get moved up to the Sugar.

I was curious if that was how it works. So do we essentially just get an extra NY6 payout when the Sugar bowl is not part of the playoffs? I mean, most years, there will probably be a third SEC in the top 12, so it's irrelevant, but let's say Bama wins out and UGA and Bama go to the playoffs, and A&M and Ole Miss stumble and don't finish in the top 12. Will an SEC team leapfrog a higher ranked team because of the sugar bowl tie-in?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
LSU (4-5) has Arkansas, ULM, and A&M left.
South Carolina (5-4) has Missouri, Auburn, and Clemson left.
Florida (4-5) has Samford, Missouri, and FSU left.
Missouri (4-5) has South Carolina, Florida, and Arkansas left.
Tennessee (5-4) has Georgia, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt left.

If I were to wager a guess, I'd say it shakes out like this:

LSU: 5-7 beating ULM
USCe: 6-6 beating Mizzou
Florida: 7-5 winning out
Mizzou: 4-8 losing out
Tennessee: 7-5 beating USA & Vandy

So yeah, I think it's 3 (South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee), but you could talk me into LSU beating Arkansas this weekend to make it 4.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I was curious if that was how it works. So do we essentially just get an extra NY6 payout when the Sugar bowl is not part of the playoffs? I mean, most years, there will probably be a third SEC in the top 12, so it's irrelevant, but let's say Bama wins out and UGA and Bama go to the playoffs, and A&M and Ole Miss stumble and don't finish in the top 12. Will an SEC team leapfrog a higher ranked team because of the sugar bowl tie-in?

Based on this from ESPN, yes, if the top 2 SEC teams are in the CFP, the 3rd ranked SEC team will get the Sugar, regardless of whether the 3rd ranked SEC team is top 12 or not, they get the Sugar bowl in years when it's not a semi-final.

Page 4 here has a pretty good breakdown of how it works out:
http://a.espncdn.com/sec/football/2021/Bowls.pdf

1) Which SEC Team qualifies for the CFP?The winner of the SEC Championship Game automatically qualifiesfor a spot in the Sugar Bowl if that team is not selected to participatein the four-team playoff. If the SEC Champion is selected to participatein the four-team playoff it will play in the Cotton Bowl or OrangeBowl. The next highest-ranked SEC team not in the four-team playoffgoes to the Sugar Bowl.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007

Yes. The top SEC team not in the playoff goes to the Sugar Bowl automatically.

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
Great analysis, thanks for the time you invested...

I would say that we are a much more attractive bowl team (than past MSU teams) for a bowl to select due to the Air Raid offense, our very exciting (and controversial) games of late, and Leaches personality.

The question has to be ticket sales... My bet is that with the post-COVID doldrums, the rampant inflation, and people just wanting to get together with family this holiday season, the bowl game attendance may be at an all-time low....

I attended the Outback Bowl a few years ago against Iowa and was absolutely shocked with the very low attendance.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
This is part of problem with current bowl setup

1. We have been to 5 of the 6 bowls in this tier in the last 9 years. The Texas Bowl is the only one we haven't been to. The SEC could send us here as a "new destination."

When it comes to fan attendees. And Houston isn’t really a new destination for us, nor is it great this year as it’s not being played until Jan 4th

It’s boring/expensive to go to same locations year in and year out. Only plus would be playing a blue blood (I.e. Texas in Memphis)

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
ESPN+ updated theirs today:

Schlabach: Music City vs Minnesota
Bonagura: Outback vs Wisconsin

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If Alabama loses again they’re out. No way a 2 loss team gets in unless there’s chaos and a lot of the top 10 lose as well.

You gonna take a 1-loss / 2-loss B1G, a 1-loss Oklahoma / Oregon, or a zero loss Cincinnati over a 2-loss Bama? I don’t think you can do any of those things….let alone 3 of those things which is what it would take to shut them out of the CFP. Only team I can see legitimately having a better resume besides UGA is Ohio State if they win out. If Bama gets to Atlanta with one loss, they should be in unless UGA just blows their doors off like 35-0, which won’t happen.

The only way you don’t do that is if you are deliberately just trying to avoid a rematch, which is not the intent of the CFP committee. The intent is to select the 4 best teams. Like it or not, Bama is unquestionably one of those teams, and they will cement that if they win out in the regular season.

Last edited:

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
Feel lucky that we're worried about repeating bowl destinations.

We're currently tied for the 11th longest streak of bowl game attendances in the country.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login