Braden Montgomery portal watch in 3... 2...

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
100% agree. I think the overall program expectation is to be in the hosting discussion every single year, but after completely missing Hoover twice now, 2024 expectation should be play baseball for longer than we did the last two years. Any postseason at all. Hosting is a pipe dream at the moment.
Naw, that should NEVER be the hope for this program. A regional should be a given, not a 17ing goal.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
What did I miss? Says tweet unavailable.
The tweet was from Kendall Rogers who quoted Jeremy Booth's tweet below and said from his info that Braden Montgomery had not yet entered the portal but at the same time said don't be surprised if he does:

He probably deleted it when Booth's info proved to be on the mark.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We have to host? Hell if that is your expectations, you’re probably going to be let down. Honestly, I’d settle for a regional and a team that looks like they have played baseball before
Hosting, or at least being seriously in the conversation to host, is the floor. We are MSU baseball, a true blue blood of the sport, we have to host and hopefully that has been seriously expressed to Lemon juice.

Do you think ND football would accept missing a bowl game two years in a row?

At least for baseball, we have to get rid of this, "we're just poor little MSU, we can't expect much." I have no idea what our baseball NIL budget is, but there can't be too many ahead of us.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Hosting, or at least being seriously in the conversation to host, is the floor. We are MSU baseball, a true blue blood of the sport, we have to host and hopefully that has been seriously expressed to Lemon juice.

Do you think ND football would accept missing a bowl game two years in a row?

At least for baseball, we have to get rid of this, "we're just poor little MSU, we can't expect much." I have no idea what our baseball NIL budget is, but there can't be too many ahead of us.
I have no problem with the general expectation of baseball should be to host or at least be in the host discussion. I agree that should be where we live. I just don’t think that is realistic next year, not saying it can’t happen. If our AD’s expectations are host or bust, then Lemonis is likely a dead man walking.

If Lemonis can have a competitive pitching staff, a team that can be competent from a fielding perspective and makes a regional, then you have to consider that improvement. And I’m not saying that should be continuing expectations for him but he should have been fired in may if expectations were host or bust.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

I’ve seen a lot of references to spending all our NIL or being outbid for this guy. He’s going to be a first-round pick and sign a multi-million dollar bonus in 12 months. He’s not making this decision based solely or I would say even primarily on what we can offer in NIL.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I’ve seen a lot of references to spending all our NIL or being outbid for this guy. He’s going to be a first-round pick and sign a multi-million dollar bonus in 12 months. He’s not making this decision based solely or I would say even primarily on what we can offer in NIL.

This makes sense to me.

Of course I want him to come to State, so these comments are colored by that.

If he's focused on the highest draft spot next year then MSU makes a lot of sense. He's going to be assured a ton of playing time in a place that will show him lotsa love and get him about as much exposure as you can get in college ball.

He'll also get a serious look as a pitcher against great competition if that's something he wants. And despite the last two years, he'll have proven hitting and pitching coaches to work with.

Come on down homeboy. We'd love to have you.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I have no problem with the general expectation of baseball should be to host or at least be in the host discussion. I agree that should be where we live. I just don’t think that is realistic next year, not saying it can’t happen. If our AD’s expectations are host or bust, then Lemonis is likely a dead man walking.

If Lemonis can have a competitive pitching staff, a team that can be competent from a fielding perspective and makes a regional, then you have to consider that improvement. And I’m not saying that should be continuing expectations for him but he should have been fired in may if expectations were host or bust.
We better be good next year after keeping this guy bc 2025 is going to be rough. We are headed for baseball purgatory. We will look back in 3-4 years and wish we had forked over any amount of money to move on. As for
The portal there is a price to pay for being bad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’s next years money. He’s going to get that anyway. Why not get a million now too? It’s no different than Paul Skenes last year.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
We better be good next year after keeping this guy bc 2025 is going to be rough. We are headed for baseball purgatory. We will look back in 3-4 years and wish we had forked over any amount of money to move on. As for
I don’t disagree with you. I said it was time to move on. I have no doubt Lemonis can coach a good roster. But I don’t believe he can build one. I personally think we are spinning our wheels by keeping Lemonis. But since we did, I have a hard time believing our expectations were host or you’re fired. That’s all I was trying to say.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
With the portal, it's much easier to put a team together. We need a good season to get interest up for the portal. Money won't be an issue. It's what we do on the field next season that matters.
But you're correct, we lazied up our recruiting some but Covid also contributed. And every team is going to pay the piper for that to a point.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
With the portal, it's much easier to put a team together. We need a good season to get interest up for the portal. Money won't be an issue. It's what we do on the field next season that matters.
But you're correct, we lazied up our recruiting some but Covid also contributed. And every team is going to pay the piper for that to a point.
The portal won’t solve how much we will have to replace though. It’s a rebuild which is fine if things are going well. But replacing Jordan, Hines, (maybe Montgomery) and all the pitchers that will leave if we are any good will be tough.
Giving Lem 2024 has totally reset expectations and that’s likely the worst part….and that’s saying something. We can be a 2 seed and everyone will say how great he did. Then we could miss the 2025 tourney so we will give him another “one more year” in 2026. You can just easily see this thing being a road to nowhere. Because the guy is an awful coach. He is just lucky he is in a great job that’s invested that can do a lot of the work for him like attract kids and a guy like Parker.

Once we find our Vitello/Van Horn/Sully/Mcdonnell we can really take off.
Let’s play football.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The portal won’t solve how much we will have to replace though. It’s a rebuild which is fine if things are going well. But replacing Jordan, Hines, (maybe Montgomery) and all the pitchers that will leave if we are any good will be tough.
Giving Lem 2024 has totally reset expectations and that’s likely the worst part….and that’s saying something. We can be a 2 seed and everyone will say how great he did. Then we could miss the 2025 tourney so we will give him another “one more year” in 2026. You can just easily see this thing being a road to nowhere. Because the guy is an awful coach. He is just lucky he is in a great job that’s invested that can do a lot of the work for him like attract kids and a guy like Parker.

Let’s play football.
This is exactly my fear. And prediction. Lemonis will do enough next year to keep his job, but not much more. Then he’ll get a pass for the rebuild. Expectations are lowered. And before we know it, it’s been a decade of Polk III mediocrity.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Let’s play football.
Can’t really add anything to this, and let’s just call a spade a spade. Our AD didn’t want to pay Lemonis & Co’s buyout, so now we’re stuck dredging through the next two seasons of mediocrity(at least we hope) before moving on. The fact that we’re sitting here talking about making a regional as a reason to keep Lemonis for ‘25 after it was his own lazy, incompetent staff that put the program in this position just makes my blood boil

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
STOP USING COVID AS AN EXCUSE! We’re not exactly the only team that had to deal with covid.
its more like upper classmen (pitchers especially) lingered around for another year and it really shows in post season. then they are gone and the bottom drops out for a bit.

a 5 year guy pitching to a 1st/2nd year guy, you already know how that is going to go

patdog

May 28, 2007
its more like upper classmen (pitchers especially) lingered around for another year and it really shows in post season. then they are gone and the bottom drops out for a bit.

a 5 year guy pitching to a 1st/2nd year guy, you already know how that is going to go
I was not aware we were the only school dealing with that. Maybe we should had had some better 2nd & 3rd year players ready. Or some better freshmen. That’s on the coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Let’s play football.
We're going to have to spend for a couple years and recruit better. But making a coaching change wasn't going to change this beyond this next season. Lem isn't getting an extension just for making post season. He won't get fired either, and the next season is the end or we've really brought in some talent.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
STOP USING COVID AS AN EXCUSE! We’re not exactly the only team that had to deal with covid.
I 17ing said everyone is dealing with it to a point. 17ing reading comprehension. Come on now. We ran off a **** ton of players for two years. Most weren't worth a damn. A couple we didn't develop at all. It's all on Lem and the staff for ****** recruiting and non-development. Lem sticking too long with bad talent was also a problem. I wanted Lem gone. But it was to our benefit for him to stay another season really. We weren't going to hire a big name and they were going to be stuck cleaning up an extra year. Next guy might get a clean start.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Giving Lem 2024 has totally reset expectations and that’s likely the worst part….and that’s saying something. We can be a 2 seed and everyone will say how great he did. Then we could miss the 2025 tourney so we will give him another “one more year” in 2026. You can just easily see this thing being a road to nowhere.

I don’t know anyone who feels this way, in real life or on this board.

He certainly needs 2 solid years to get a 3rd. By solid, I mean making a regional both years, with at least one being a 2-seed or better. Couple of 3-seed bubble seasons ain’t gonna cut it.

Basically we’re in the same boat as we were with Croom in 2006. He delivered in 2007, due in large part to the parts of the team he had the least control over. Couldn’t keep it going the next year, and he was toast. And that was a sport that we historically suck at. No way we’re going to set the bar even lower than that for baseball.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We need this guy and Holman. I think that's his name. The pitcher from Bama. Plus Montgomery can pitch. Our bats should be as good as anyone. All we really need is a Friday night starter.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
The one sport where our stadium and program history is a plus in recruiting is being countered by NIL. Football and basketball - we don't have that luxury. Even a national championship is not helping us - it's all about the $$.
Sadly, it has always been about the $$ even before NIL.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Fark request: can someone throw together the Schwarzenegger/Carl Weathers meme with a Madison Central “MC” on one arm and the M-over-S on the other?

cuz that’s what we are hoping for…

Reactions: Darryl Steight

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I don’t disagree with you. I said it was time to move on. I have no doubt Lemonis can coach a good roster. But I don’t believe he can build one. I personally think we are spinning our wheels by keeping Lemonis. But since we did, I have a hard time believing our expectations were host or you’re fired. That’s all I was trying to say.
what makes you think Lemonis can't build a good roster ? Did you forget about 2021 ? I'd say that Lemonis recruits Bednar and Sims were pretty good anchors. And there is no way MSU beats Texas without Lemonis recruit Cumbest's triple or no way MSU beats Virginia without Lemonis recruit Clark's home run ....so regardless of how most of you just say Lemonis only inherited the talent , understand that Foscue, Westburg, Small and Lemonis recruit JT Ginn were all gone before the 2021 run and while Jordan and Allen were the core of the lineup...that 21 team was primarily built by Lemonis

Reactions: She Mate Me

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
My guess is and I obviously hope Im wrong is Braden goes to Tenn or Arky. Both teams have lost a ton of talent both in draft and transfers. Please let me be wrong and we get him LOL.
Yep both Tenn and UPig recruited him hard in Highschool. We didn’t give him much of a look if at all. So much for evaluating.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
what makes you think Lemonis can't build a good roster ? Did you forget about 2021 ? I'd say that Lemonis recruits Bednar and Sims were pretty good anchors. And there is no way MSU beats Texas without Lemonis recruit Cumbest's triple or no way MSU beats Virginia without Lemonis recruit Clark's home run ....so regardless of how most of you just say Lemonis only inherited the talent , understand that Foscue, Westburg, Small and Lemonis recruit JT Ginn were all gone before the 2021 run and while Jordan and Allen were the core of the lineup...that 21 team was primarily built by Lemonis
Well the last 2 seasons are the main reason I feel like he can’t put together a complete roster. We have nothing in terms of SEC talent pitching, or at least nothing that has displayed an ability to get outs. A staff full of high velocity and no control guys. We have no first baseman, no one at third, we probably set some sort of record with pass balls and steals allowed this year, it took us half the season to find someone who could halfway play short stop (and he’s probably really a second baseman).

I don’t believe Lemonis can identify talent any better than most of us, especially pitching. No doubt he recruited sims and Bednar but there is a huge drop off in production from those 2 and everyone else he’s recruited.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
On Bo's show this AM, Rosebowl said he is "causally optimistic" of MSU's changes. He said LSU and TN are also in the mix. Same teams are in the mix for the AL pitcher.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
On Bo's show this AM, Rosebowl said he is "causally optimistic" of MSU's changes. He said LSU and TN are also in the mix. Same teams are in the mix for the AL pitcher.

The 8 ball we're behind is that guys like that probably want a shot at a natty in their portal season or two. Our pitching is so out of whack it makes it hard to envision that for the near future.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The 8 ball we're behind is that guys like that probably want a shot at a natty in their portal season or two. Our pitching is so out of whack it makes it hard to envision that for the near future.
If we can get the pitcher from Bama, we can make some noise. Remember that Ole Miss went from last time in to Natty. I know they had talent, but getting on a hot streak at the right time can send a team a long way.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
If we can get the pitcher from Bama, we can make some noise. Remember that Ole Miss went from last time in to Natty. I know they had talent, but getting on a hot streak at the right time can send a team a long way.
Yea, if we get Holman and Montgomery that's a total game changer but right now I'm not confident we end up with either one of them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login