Brian Kelly to LSU.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
If you can't look at Kellys coaching rresume and past performance combined with LSU history as a powerhouse loaded with resources and surrounded by 4 and 5 star talent and thru deductive reasoning extrapolate great success being virtually guaranteed I don't know what to tell you. I mean sure, the Chinese could nuke BR tomorrow and I might be wrong. Of course he is overpaid but thats the price to play

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
All good points. Incentives are in place that enable college coaches at major schools to make much more than pro-coaches. Athletic departments don't face the same liabilities in their operating budgets that private businesses have to consider. It's not that they have all have unlimited funds but there are enormous funds available especially from donors. Kelly at LSU will likely earn a salary of around $400,000 from the state. The rest is coming from the Tiger Athletic Foundation.

I think the narrative that college coaches make more than NFL coaches isn’t necessarily true either. It’s getting closer, yes. But the average NFL coach salary is $6.5 million. Before this silly season only 4 college coaches made more than that. Now 8 do, so it’s definitely creeping up. And if Kiffin signs his extension at Ole Miss that’ll be 9. And he won’t be the last one. But you have to think the NFL is going to see some adjustment as well. The price of winning continues to climb.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login