Bussing to game.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
If Cohen were competent, he'd have built an adequate airport in Opelika and flown the plane himself.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Also, people are forgetting that EVERETT DONT DRIVE 55…

HA! Plus Everett is taking the bus to the destination anyway, right? That way the team can arrive at the stadium in our own bus.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If Cohen were competent, he'd have built an adequate airport in Opelika and flown the plane himself.

I think we're letting Leach off the hook too easily too. Jackie could have flown that plane, regardless of the weather. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

A story from Jimmy Johnson:

There are still other stories about Sherrill's proud, defiant nature, one of which comes from Jimmy Johnson, the Dallas Cowboys' coach. As Johnson tells it, several years ago he and his wife at the time joined Sherrill and his wife at the time on a trip to Fishers Island, N.Y., a tony summer community on Long Island Sound. Johnson was then Sherrill's assistant head coach at Pitt, and he had looked forward to that holiday as a chance to relax and enjoy himself. The two couples Hew to the island on a private plane. According to Johnson, Sherrill argued with the pilot when the man refused to let him take the controls.

"I'm thinking, To hell with this," Johnson says. "Let's go! I want to get to that island! But there's Jackie—he doesn't even have his license yet—and he's trying to pilot the thing!"

That night, Johnson says, the two couples went to dinner at a country-club restaurant whose menu was so expensive that prices weren't even listed. A fellow at the next table was describing his trip to the island and lamenting the fact that bad winds had kept him from flying in, forcing him to take a boat. Sherrill was eavesdropping, Johnson says: "You could see he was really getting interested. Finally he turns to face this guy, and he says. "Why didn't you just fly?'

"The man looks at him and says, 'The wind was too bad, and I fly a Cessna such-and-such, and the runway at the airfield wasn't long enough to accommodate me.' Then Jackie tells him, 'You'd've had enough runway if you'd landed into the breeze coming off the surf.' The man looks at him awhile and then says, 'Hey, buddy, listen to me. I've been flying 45 years now. I should know what I'm talking about."

"Then they get into this big argument, Jackie and this guy. I'm trying to get Jackie out of the restaurant, but he wants to win his point. I mean, it's a heated argument. I'm starting to think there's going to be a fistfight.

" 'Jackie, let's go,' I tell him.

" 'That son of a *****,' he says back.

"Finally this guy yells at Jackie, I was in the Navy, pal—in the United States Navy! You ever landed on a——aircraft carrier?'

"Jackie looks straight at him, and he doesn't even flinch. 'Yeah, sure," he says. 'Yeah, sure I have.'

"From then on," Johnson says, "I teased Jackie about that night. I'd see him and say, 'You ever landed on a——aircraft carrier, buddy? Yeah, sure. Yeah, sure I have.' And he didn't even have his license yet!"

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Jackie will forever be the KANG.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
When I got to state in 1996 82 was still that way from Tuscaloosa to the state line.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login